Where is the install folder?

Still can't download the game, refunded it last week from Best Buy but apparently they never invalidated it so MS store says I still own it. Found a torrent, so I want to put the game files in whatever folder it would install to from the MS store and see if that works, if so I'll be buying it again. Not having a whole hell of a lot of hope for that though since I can start the game but I'm getting the same issue a lot of other people are where it loads the splash screen then closes with no error message.

Also, where is the folder it downloads to? Apparently I need to delete the bad download manually because just canceling it has it picking up where it left off if I start a new download.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Since it's closing up that way, it may be better to find out if there's an error log being generated.
  1. Open Event Viewer: Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Event Viewer.
  2. In Event Viewer, in the console tree, click Application. In the details pane, make sure that there are no errors reported in the application event log that indicate the restore was unsuccessful.
  3. If you notice any events that disclose an error, double-click the event to open the Event Properties, and then read the description of the event.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997769(v=exchg.65).aspx

If you see application errors from Dayton or StateofDecay2.exe then list them here.

Default install path is: \Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Dayton_1.3137.99.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\StateOfDecay2

WindowsApps is a system protected folder and will be locked under normal circumstances.

Finally, for legal reasons (and moral ones... says the guy who euthanized four survivors instead of curing them with available cures), we don't condone torrenting or support pirated content so ensure you do reinstall the game via legal means to continue support here. :)

Nope, it's not generating any errors that I can see. The only errors shown are for microsoft photos.exe and svchost.exe.

And believe me, I'd rather the damn thing have just worked from the beginning when I bought it, but I'm not going to spend money to buy it again only to have to get another refund if it's not even going to get past the splash screen. If I can get it working so I can actually play it then yeah, I'm more than happy to re-buy it.

I also checked to make sure my system is up to snuff and it is, it more than meets the recommended setup for everything but ram. I have 8 GB but that still meets the minimum requirements so it shouldn't be an issue.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
What error is it giving on svchost.exe?

Does the Microsoft Store and Xbox app open without any issues?

Are your video card drivers fully updated to released (not beta) drivers?

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_DiagTrack, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0xa38b9ab2
Faulting module name: diagtrack.dll, version: 10.0.17134.48, time stamp: 0xa8ce1be4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000001dd90
Faulting process id: 0x222c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3f8ee24562ac5
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\diagtrack.dll
Report Id: b750b7b9-6e41-4976-ac22-e480d2a28b8c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

MS store opens but downloading is still slow as a frozen snail with constant failures, xbox app still doesn't open. I've tried everything I could think of to fix the app but it's not worked since that one MS tech screwed it up.

Video drivers are up to date with non beta drivers.

IguanaC64

Missing Survivor
Have you tried running WSReset? My install was completely fuxxed...I couldn't run/reinstall/uninstall SoD2 after the first patch. After running wsreset, it disappeared out of the store and I was able to reinstall. I do not *BELIEVE* there are any real downsides to running WSReset except having to reinstall apps from the Windows store (maybe).

WSReset steps