What's Happening in Your World?

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Wow, must be 'cause your an old bastard. I had mine out at 16. Three days in the hospital then released to normal crazy teen life. I had more restrictions when I had mono a year later. No skateboarding for two weeks...and I was an avid skateboarder in those days.
Certainly you do not want to risk driving. If you break sharply or come to a dead stop quickly, you can end up with your intestines in your lap.
Mine was laproscopic and I was out this morning, I've got 3 small cuts in my abdomen. Still pretty damn uncomfortable though, and I'm going to have to lock my Cats out of my room at night so they don't lay on me.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Mine was laproscopic and I was out this morning, I've got 3 small cuts in my abdomen. Still pretty damn uncomfortable though, and I'm going to have to lock my Cats out of my room at night so they don't lay on me.
Laparoscopic, nice. Mine was back in the '80s, so it was amazing that my scar was only 1 1/4 inch. And, my cats have been banned from the sleeping room for years. My avatar pic, "Buddy", learned that a single prick of a claw on my lip was guaranteed to wake me up. That was the end of sleeping with cats.

Kiel555

Rescued Ally
Good news! I went to an interview Monday for a job in Northern Nevada. They called today and offered me the job! Very excited. I currently live in california and it sucks! I have nothing good to say about California so I'll say no more.

I've been wanting to leave Ca. for years but waited until I was eligible to retire from the California Air National Guard. I hit 20 years and retired in May. I considered moving to Texas, Tennessee and Nevada. Decided on Nevada because they had the perfect job for me. I'm a civil engineer and design/build roads, water systems and so on. Everything a city needs basically.

Should be a hoot. Just myself and my dog Molly (she's a 2 year old german shepherd). Looking at houses now. Gas is a dollar cheaper a gallon too and no state income tax or FICA. Haha.

My GF lives about an hour away and I haven't told her about my new job. Haha. Now she would be about 4.5 hours away. Oh boy....not looking forward to that conversation. Delay delay delay. Haha.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I had to have surgery on my Achilles tendon yesterday. I have a cast on my right foot so I can't drive or put weight on it. So I'm on crutches and it sucks. It makes doing the normal daily life activities next to impossible. Only 6 more weeks before I can put weight on it again (although I will still be in a walking but and unable to drive)

Kiel555

Rescued Ally
Going to wait until next weeked to tell the GF who lives in California about my new and exciting job in Nevada. Haha. Delay.... What sucks is our 6 month anniversary is monday (yeah she tracks and celebrates that crap). So maybe next weekend would be better to talk about this.

So it looks like I have about 30 days to sell my house in Ca and buy one in nevada and then start work on Dec 2. Always the hard way! Haha.

QuarantineRoad

Rescued Ally
@SomeRandomGuy, @borobomb: Glad your surgeries went well, and hope you have a swift recovery.

Last week, my Mom found a box of three puppies left near the mailboxes at the end of our road. Fortunately, they were alive. After she brought them home, I began taking care of them and set up an area in our laundry room (using a gate so they could at least see out). They were dachshund/terrier/chihuahua-type mixes, 6-8 weeks old; all active (once they got used to us) and relatively healthy, except they had worms, and the littlest one had a lump on her forehead that caused one eye to shut. The next day, Mom got them to the vet where they got their shots and antibiotics. The lump turned out to be an abscess that was trying to heal--possibly from a bite.

My Aunt and Uncle ended up adopting two of them, leaving us with the littlest one. They were already kind enough to take two when they only wanted one, but since they don't have much money, either, they were wary of any complications that might arise from her wound. One of the vets was actually going to take her, but she lived in an apartment, and couldn't convince her landlord to let her have a dog.

The puppy was really sweet, and I debated on keeping her, but with how our lives are right now, neither of us wanted to go through raising a puppy that young. That, and while our dog, Maya, isn't aggressive, she's territorial and becomes stressed/depressed when living with other animals. She only tolerates the stray cats, outside, and our indoor cat, Cirri, when we had her.

With her siblings gone, the puppy began crying horribly whenever she was is in her room or we were out of sight. So, I found a large plastic container and turned it into a crib with a bed, and some toys and things. In the morning, I'd put her in that, and keep her either with me or Mom during the day; holding and playing with her from time to time. I'd just put her back in her room to potty, play, etc., and to get used to it. Nights, however, were sleepless. Whenever she wasn't asleep, she'd cry since we had to keep her in her room. The routine was to turn on talk radio and give her a treat to chew on at bed time, and, thankfully, she got better toward the end.

With help from the vet, and a couple of my Mom's friends (who work with pets and shelters), we got a consensus on a good non-profit, rescue/no-kill shelter that takes adoption screening seriously, and part of a network of similar organizations. The only thing was it would be several days before they had room for the puppy. By then, not only were we getting attached to her, but I felt bad since I knew she was getting attached to us. Something I was trying to avoid since we couldn't keep her.

Yet, when the time came, the volunteers and woman who ran the place were very kind, reassuring us that the puppy would be okay. It reminded me of a friendlier version of The Railroad in Fallout 4. Apparently, the puppy would be going with some others to San Diego, who the woman and my Mom's friends said had a really nice facility, and would give the puppy a much higher chance of finding a good home.

Anyway... It was hard to let her go, but hopefully everything will work out for the best.

Last edited:

A1icehatter

Rescued Ally
It finally happened. I lost my shit. Sick and tired of being used as a revenue stream for someone that does nothing except take the piss, count the cash and brings almost nothing to the table yet somehow sees us as being on 'equal' terms.

Long story short, I leave the current business partnership and start out on my own in april.
Long time coming.... Good luck indeed šŸ˜Š.
Your business on your terms and reaping the well deserved rewards .

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Last week, my Mom found a box of three puppies left near the mailboxes at the end of our road. Fortunately, they were alive. After she brought them home, I began taking care of them and set up an area in our laundry room (using a gate so they could at least see out). They were dachshund/terrier/chihuahua-type mixes, 6-8 weeks old; all active (once they got used to us) and relatively healthy, except they had worms, and the littlest one had a lump on her forehead that caused one eye to shut. The next day, Mom got them to the vet where they got their shots and antibiotics. The lump turned out to be an abscess that was trying to heal--possibly from a bite.

View attachment 2839
Ugh...this entire story was a rollercoaster. I was ready to jump on a plane to go get the puppies and then it ended with no puppies left!

My aunt is down to her last 2 dogs and she was actually talking about getting smaller dogs again because the oldest has cancer and likely won't make it to Christmas and the other one might be gone by next summer due to old age.

Even if she didn't want them, I would have taken them...

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
Got my heat fixed. It was the control panel for the fan to cool off the furnace that wasn't working. My dad works with an expert who helped me install a new control panel. Only cost me 400 dollars. Could have been much worse.
Going to buy my neighbors vehicle. I know someone who wants my old vehicle. I honestly want to give it to him for dirt cheap. The man has brain damage and his daughter (my girlfriend's boss) is supporting him. So i'd like to do something nice. Plus I just want to be rid of the car. My parents don't like that idea. They seem to think I'm being taken advantage of. They think a lot of wakey things, that's a whole other road to go down for another post. Anyways ultimately it's my decision but I haven't completely decided yet.
Other than that dilemma life is awesome. I'm on a four day twelve hour shift, with four days off after. Which works great for me. I've got my workout schedule down, and my chore schedule good. It's just a super super awesome setup. My girlfriend is happier and doing better than she has been in the past. Working a bit more. Our dog is maturing and training is going great with her. Being a husky she loves the snow! Uhh. That's about it. Learning Baldur's gate on the switch. Having a blast with it. Playing a little Overwatch like I always do. Surprisingly haven't played state of decay much, I usually do. Not tired of it though, still thoroughly enjoying it. Also started getting back into painting miniatures. Warhammer 40k minis. Except I need to do a paint run. It's been so long all my glue and paints have pretty much dried out.
Now to read how everyone else has been.

Rock33B

Rescued Ally
Just got back from a solo road trip home to CO to visit my parents. Mom's been down and depressed due to her parents (my grandparents) failing health. Grandpa is 91 and in the final days / weeks of life and grandma has dementia so bad she wont take him to a hospital for care or allow anyone into their home to care for him (or her). So I took a trip out to spend time with my mom and cheer her up. My hero of a wife stayed home with our six kids in Idaho and let me go for the week. It was a somber trip but mom really was glad to have me home for a bit and seemed much happier when I left.

The decision to let your loved ones finish their lives on their terms where and how they wish and be happy vs taking them out of their home and placing them somewhere they can get the care they need yet have them be bitter and angry at you for the remainder of their lives is a hard one. I can only pray that in many years when it's my turn to make the decision on MY parents care, I handle it well.