What's Happening in Your World?

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
As Doctors are too scared prescribe anything stronger than Panadol the dentist should.
In the US, at least, there have been major crackdowns on anyone prescribing anything stronger than a tylenol. The new regs in California Work Comp state providers must run drug screens and medication histories each time they prescribe.

Not sure about Aus regs, but yes, many docs are nervous. There have been way too many cases of ODs and abuse, and providers mis-prescribing, or not understanding the ramifications of the meds, etc.

Last edited:

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Great Democratic People's Republic of Illinois
I'm just so excited, I can't stand it. /s Tomorrow I get to go to the hospital for a CT scan of my abdomen for a transplant I probably won't live to see, and then on the 19th, I get to go back to the hospital to get the access implanted so I can start peritoneal dialysis when that inevitability rolls around . . . You know, right about now, I could use all the opiods I could get my hands on. Oh, wait, my kidneys can't process them, and I haven't had a drink in thirty years, so I guess I'm just fucked any way you look at it.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
I'm just so excited, I can't stand it. /s Tomorrow I get to go to the hospital for a CT scan of my abdomen for a transplant I probably won't live to see, and then on the 19th, I get to go back to the hospital to get the access implanted so I can start peritoneal dialysis when that inevitability rolls around . . . You know, right about now, I could use all the opiods I could get my hands on. Oh, wait, my kidneys can't process them, and I haven't had a drink in thirty years, so I guess I'm just fucked any way you look at it.
May God give you strength. You Matter. You have touched the lives of many here and will be sorely missed. Please stay positive and may God give you the strength to see this through. Cause we are not ready to see you go.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I agree with everything @LiNanMian1984 said. So don't give up, keep fighting and pressing on, you'll be in my prayers and my god give you the strength to make it through.

That really sucks to hear, I'll be praying that you pull through this. Do keep us updated, yeah?

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Well, this is odd. I was outside, smoking a cigarette, and heard Buddy (my avatar pic) making his "I don't like this" meow (which he usually only uses when my alarm goes off and I don't turn it off immediately). So I come in and find Buddy and Rasputin are nose to nose with something on the ground between them. I push them aside and check it out. It's a teeny-tiny little lizard! It's so small that I'm afraid I'll crush it if I try to pick it up and it's too small to climb my finger (or too scared), so I grab a nearby paper towel and coerce it into climbing onboard. I whipped up a quick terrarium, dropped in a few crumbs of cat food and a tiny heap of lettuce and here we are. Here's a pic of the little thing with my pinky finger for scale. The little guy probably has a body length of an inch and 3/4 that for a tail. Less than two inches total length.
1542335476153.png

So, any baby lizard experts here? What do I do to keep it alive 'til the Spring thaw (and we're only just entering the freeze season)? I don't even know what kind of lizard it is.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
I think that is what is known as a Mediterranean gecko. They generally eat insects. I think you can get some feeder crickets at many pet stores.

Edit: They are considered an invasive species, may be illegal to ever set it loose. But you could probably keep it around without issue.

Well, this is odd. I was outside, smoking a cigarette, and heard Buddy (my avatar pic) making his "I don't like this" meow (which he usually only uses when my alarm goes off and I don't turn it off immediately). So I come in and find Buddy and Rasputin are nose to nose with something on the ground between them. I push them aside and check it out. It's a teeny-tiny little lizard! It's so small that I'm afraid I'll crush it if I try to pick it up and it's too small to climb my finger (or too scared), so I grab a nearby paper towel and coerce it into climbing onboard. I whipped up a quick terrarium, dropped in a few crumbs of cat food and a tiny heap of lettuce and here we are. Here's a pic of the little thing with my pinky finger for scale. The little guy probably has a body length of an inch and 3/4 that for a tail. Less than two inches total length.
View attachment 2252

So, any baby lizard experts here? What do I do to keep it alive 'til the Spring thaw (and we're only just entering the freeze season)? I don't even know what kind of lizard it is.
Best thing to do is get either an actual terrarium or a small aquarium with a fully enclosed top so the Cats can't get inside it. Like QMJS mentioned they'll eat insects, so get some small Crickets from a pet shop. Mealworms would work as well once it gets bigger, whichever is cheaper. I used to raise Frogs and switched between both and they seemed happy with it.

You'll want to feed it every few days, It's small so I'd suggest getting a half dozen but no more than that or they'll probably start getting too big and it might choke trying to eat them. Once it gets big enough to eat the full sized Crickets then you can move up to a dozen at a time.

The other option is just take it to a pet shop and see if they'll take it off your hands. Lizards can be a pain in the ass to take care of, especially when you have Cats that will probably want to "play" with it.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Interesting, my initial thought was gecko. One of the things I read was that the crickets shouldn't be wider than it's head and, well, that's frickin' tiny. It might be a day or two before I can get to the pet store, so I hope its fed recently.

I've already considered the terrarium and they're cheap, so not a problem there. More concerned about keeping it warm in the interim. Granted, I keep my thermostat at 74F right now, so it's probably not a concern. Also, its in a plastic container with plastic wrap (with holes poked in it) over the top and that's on my kitchen counter, so my cats won't be anywhere near it. They don't break the "no cats on my food prep area" rule.

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Great Democratic People's Republic of Illinois
Got a call from Northwestern Memorial Hospital yesterday afternoon - apparently, they took some time off from using the gazillions of dollars they get from the university to gobble up every other hospital in northern Illinois - telling me that I have been officially placed on the "active" transplant list. So, while there is a certain sense of relief in that . . . the fact that someone else has to die in order for me to get a kidney kind of bothers me. And yes, I know I'm not resposible for that. Still . . .

It just feels wrong to hope for a really bad holiday drunk driving season.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
the fact that someone else has to die in order for me to get a kidney kind of bothers me
That's bass-ackwards thinking, friend. Even though someone dies, they're saving another life. They're gonna die, either way, the fact that they've opted to donate to save another life is the positive.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
So, while there is a certain sense of relief in that . . . the fact that someone else has to die in order for me to get a kidney kind of bothers me. And yes, I know I'm not resposible for that. Still . . .

Medical technology is improving every year, there are already people getting lab grown transplants as part of FDA trials. You could inquire about going that route with your doctor; I brought it up with mine to see about getting a lab grown/tech based pancreas transplant. Starting a drug trial next month to prep for the possibility, since I (my body) would need to accept the initial rounds of injections to prep for a transplant of that nature.

Incidentally, I had also asked about transplanting a bionic eye into my left eye since it's weakened enough that I'd require surgery anyway.

On a what's happening update, I have scared my therapist (hospital assigned, from the shooting) with my troubling attitude towards other the shooting. The gist of that being that I don't feel regret about my decision at the time nor do/did I have trouble sleeping after killing another human being. We've been talking about it weekly and went through the psychological tests to confirm (as much as one can) I'm not a sociopath, have dulled my emotions forcibly, or have been lying to her about how I feel about it. I think it bothered her that unless I know a guy personally, online or offline, through my personal interactions or connections of family or friends, that I have no negative feelings about their death. Writing that out here and sharing it, it does sound really disturbing... hm.

Vahx

Alamo Rookie
Medical technology is improving every year, there are already people getting lab grown transplants as part of FDA trials. You could inquire about going that route with your doctor; I brought it up with mine to see about getting a lab grown/tech based pancreas transplant. Starting a drug trial next month to prep for the possibility, since I (my body) would need to accept the initial rounds of injections to prep for a transplant of that nature.

Incidentally, I had also asked about transplanting a bionic eye into my left eye since it's weakened enough that I'd require surgery anyway.

On a what's happening update, I have scared my therapist (hospital assigned, from the shooting) with my troubling attitude towards other the shooting. The gist of that being that I don't feel regret about my decision at the time nor do/did I have trouble sleeping after killing another human being. We've been talking about it weekly and went through the psychological tests to confirm (as much as one can) I'm not a sociopath, have dulled my emotions forcibly, or have been lying to her about how I feel about it. I think it bothered her that unless I know a guy personally, online or offline, through my personal interactions or connections of family or friends, that I have no negative feelings about their death. Writing that out here and sharing it, it does sound really disturbing... hm.
I had to go back a few pages to see what this was about because i don't really follow this thread, but this doesn't sound disturbing at all.
I haven't been in a similar situation in my life but I might react the same way and I have been called out to be "emotionally unreachable" by psychologist (long story, nothing bad every happened too me, just something they "pinned" on me during a screening), yet my wife disagrees with that analysis because we are very close and open to each other. But thats just how the "inner-circle" mind works.
You had the knifes, you trained with the knifes and when the time came you were able to use the knifes to save/defend yourself.

You don't feel (overly) guilty because you were defending yourself and thats good.
You don't feel scared because you were able to defend yourself and that is also good.
You probably sleep well because this happened outside of your house, thus your house is still a safe zone in your mind (also good).
There is nothing wrong with saying "it happened" and moving on.

Got a call from Northwestern Memorial Hospital yesterday afternoon - apparently, they took some time off from using the gazillions of dollars they get from the university to gobble up every other hospital in northern Illinois - telling me that I have been officially placed on the "active" transplant list. So, while there is a certain sense of relief in that . . . the fact that someone else has to die in order for me to get a kidney kind of bothers me. And yes, I know I'm not resposible for that. Still . . .

If someone across the country, state, or even city dies it's pretty much out of your control, but if they're a donor then at least their death had some meaning. If they're compatible then their death had some meaning to you. But if you do get a transplant and it still makes you uneasy then it might help to get in contact with the family of the donor and talk to them.

Bionic implants? Well you're not an Astronaut and your name isn't Steve Austin, but I guess it works.

I don't see what there is to feel bad about, it was you (and possibly the people in the store) or him. He made a very poor choice, and since you are still alive your choice was a good one. Just because you aren't filled with regret doesn't mean you're a danger to society. I also don't see why not feeling anything over the deaths of nameless, faceless people you have never met or even heard of is somehow bad. If you spend all your time mourning the dead that you hear about daily on the news or whatever you'd never get anything done.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
For both topics, you have to consider how many of us there really are. Just in the US, about 7500 people die every day from various causes. Even on a great day, if nobody died from violence or accident, there are still going to be at least 5000 a day that go.

From a transplant aspect, that means that there should be far more organs available to work with then there are... not enough people actually bother to donate. If someone has gone through the tiny bit of trouble needed to make theirs available, they wanted to help.

From the other side... can't possibly feel bad for everyone. There are consequences to actions, and if someone has decided to prey on others and that leads to their demise, that is directly related to their choice. Feel bad for a victim, not the aggressor.

I also don't see why not feeling anything over the deaths of nameless, faceless people you have never met or even heard of is somehow bad. If you spend all your time mourning the dead that you hear about daily on the news or whatever you'd never get anything done.
Yep... the best you can do is perhaps work towards correcting the problems. Give some money to disease research, or support some programs to keep kids off the street and learning something. Everyone can make some sort of difference. But you can only worry about those in an abstract sense, because there are just way too many to even be aware of them individually.

I'm under the impression that the organ donor scheme is fully voluntary? So while someone having to die for you to get an organ is bad, the donor is completely aware of that and still signed up anyway. The type of people that would agree to something like that would likely be grateful that their death could help prevent someone else's, it could even be the case that one of their relatives died waiting for a transplant.

I couldn't tell you how to feel about it but consider that the donor would've been grateful to help you so maybe the appropriate response would be to feel gratitude back to them? For their willingness to help others? I'm not suggesting it's an easy situation to reconcile but hopefully when considering the donor's motives it's easier to see it in a positive way.