What's Happening in Your World?

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Seriously, I guess this is some cultural thing? Is there some sanitary service that cleans that stuff up?
It's one of those odd things that I would like to know too. When I worked retail, we had a tourist family's tween son (looked between 11-13) drop trou in the middle of an aisle and let go. Then they just walked off like nothing ever happened...just assumed someone else would deal with it.

It's certainly one of the things that keeps me from going back into retail work...

Dhamptastic

Rescued Ally
I wish you a speedy and full recovery @SwissArmyKnife. Stay safe out there.

As well, a hearty congratulations to you @Christmas on the start of your post-secondary education! It can be rough in first year, I remember that too well. The expectations vary depending on the professor, finding your place on campus can be a struggle (especially if you don't have friends in your program), let alone the pressure to do well academically.

You seem well on your way to figuring it out though. If slam poetry and stand-up comedy have a strong community on campus, plug into that. Even if you just share a single class with someone you barely know, that can mean the world in making it manageable. That way you can trade jokes (which seems to be in your line of work!), cover for each other in the event of missed classes/notes, and generally try to figure out the college experience with somebody who's on the same level.

In terms of a rah - I'm entering my final year of my Bachelor's degree! It has been a dream since I was a kid to go to university and the end of it is already in sight... I've been lucky in that I'm studying what I love (history). The path forward is unclear, but I'm beginning to consider what my options are for a career. Writing that terrifies me.

Simultaneously, it's been a rough two-and-a-half years financially, but it looks like I'll be able to graduate without going into the negative. At last there is some peace of mind.
Humanities have far more possibilities than many expect. Soft skills are where it's at right now, you just need to be able to market yourself. Remember that when you study history, you are learning how to read for content, how to think critically, how to analyze information rapidly, you learn how to speak for a purpose and get a point across as quickly as you can, but you also learn how to pad an argument like I'm doing, how to work independently, how to work as part of a group, and probably most importantly you learned how to be self-aware. When you craft your resume and go into an interview, push that you've had experience--successful experience--doing these things; you have a piece of paper as evidence. If you market yourself well, you can open doors which may appear to be closed based on missing technical skills: but technical skills are teachable, often rapidly, whereas soft skills have to be crafted and developed over time.

It's one of those odd things that I would like to know too. When I worked retail, we had a tourist family's tween son (looked between 11-13) drop trou in the middle of an aisle and let go. Then they just walked off like nothing ever happened...just assumed someone else would deal with it.

It's certainly one of the things that keeps me from going back into retail work...
The mentality is "there is always someone that MUST clean it up, that is what they are there for"

Is it bad that my first thought after reading that was "You've got to be shitting me"?

Virgel

Rescued Ally
Humanities have far more possibilities than many expect. Soft skills are where it's at right now, you just need to be able to market yourself. Remember that when you study history, you are learning how to read for content, how to think critically, how to analyze information rapidly, you learn how to speak for a purpose and get a point across as quickly as you can, but you also learn how to pad an argument like I'm doing, how to work independently, how to work as part of a group, and probably most importantly you learned how to be self-aware. When you craft your resume and go into an interview, push that you've had experience--successful experience--doing these things; you have a piece of paper as evidence. If you market yourself well, you can open doors which may appear to be closed based on missing technical skills: but technical skills are teachable, often rapidly, whereas soft skills have to be crafted and developed over time.
Thank you for the advice, Dhampastic. I never really thought of the breakdown between technical and soft skills like that!

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
Lara already has a body count comparable to some dictatorial regimes, she could stand to have a holiday.

How's the story? I haven't played any but the 2013 reboot which fascinated and frustrated me in equal measure in that regard.
About on par with the first. Prophecies and world ending threats. Not terribly engaging, I'm afraid.

About on par with the first. Prophecies and world ending threats. Not terribly engaging, I'm afraid.
Meh, about what I figured. Such a shame, the idea of the reboot really excited me and I felt the first game's story presented a very interesting premise that the devs didn't flesh out enough or follow up on. If bits of that game's story left you scratching your head, it may resolve your curiosity to know Crystal Dynamics hired the writer when the game was 60% complete.

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
Meh, about what I figured. Such a shame, the idea of the reboot really excited me and I felt the first game's story presented a very interesting premise that the devs didn't flesh out enough or follow up on. If bits of that game's story left you scratching your head, it may resolve your curiosity to know Crystal Dynamics hired the writer when the game was 60% complete.
That actually does explain a few things.

My most recent news in the real world is actually pretty depressing.

Received an email saying my mother was murdered in South Africa. (Biological mother had a turbulent time with her since early childhood). I only get an email once or twice a year from South African family and then again I either reply or just delete it and carry on with my day.

I have lost an average of 2 family members a year since coming to China in 2004. Murder is common one every couple of years. Old age, and accidents happen too.

With my mother I feel depressed and sad and angry at myself. But ultimately. Just 1 less person alive that makes my feelings for South Africa less and less. Easier to bury the emotions for a place that does not exist in memory.
---

I do help South Africans that want to get out of South Africa and help whom I can get work in China. To what end? Delaying the inevitable. South Africa is not getting any better. And running away I am running out of time.

China will never accept foreign refugees.
China will never give citizenship (despite me paying taxes, working hard being a good person)

Might as well stay as long as I can and then make other plans.

Last edited:
@LiNanMian1984 I'm deeply sorry for your loss, mate. Even if your relationship was turbulent, she was still the woman who birthed you and that's a singular connection. As to the rest: what words here can help? No mere text from across the internet can solve your problems or ease your burdens. Perhaps it's time to move on from China? Surely there are other countries that would appreciate your skills. Germany, France, Turkey; someone.

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
My most recent news in the real world is actually pretty depressing.

Received an email saying my mother was murdered in South Africa. (Biological mother had a turbulent time with her since early childhood). I only get an email once or twice a year from South African family and then again I either reply or just delete it and carry on with my day.

I have lost an average of 2 family members a year since coming to China in 2004. Murder is common one every couple of years. Old age, and accidents happen too.

With my mother I feel depressed and sad and angry at myself. But ultimately. Just 1 less person alive that makes my feelings for South Africa less and less. Easier to bury the emotions for a place that does not exist in memory.
---

I do help South Africans that want to get out of South Africa and help whom I can get work in China. To what end? Delaying the inevitable. South Africa is not getting any better. And running away I am running out of time.

China will never accept foreign refugees.
China will never give citizenship (despite me paying taxes, working hard being a good person)

Might as well stay as long as I can and then make other plans.
I am sorry, bud.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Today I found out that one of the milder side effects of Ibuprofen applies to me. I wasn't at home and needed a Panadol but where I was only had Ibuprofen. Last time I had Nurofen was over 10 years ago and only a small pill. Today was a large caplet. As soon as it went in my mouth my tongue went numb :(
That's the last time I'm taking those.
For my types of headaches I usually take half a 30mg panadeine tablet. But, my Dr is totally against prescribing them to anyone ever, anymore due to a small perrcent of the population (not me) getting addicted and causing the nationwide lockdown of them.
It's always the few who ruin it for everyone.
If I need to I'll go to a different Dr. My Dad's.
In the meantime I have to use Panadol, which are as effective as a packet of Tic Tacs :(