What's Happening in Your World?

Florida has been suffering a Red tide problem for the last several weeks. This has driven away the snow birds and other vacationers. This has, in turn, harmed many business' including mine. For a time, my store smelled of fish and death quite strongly. As you might imagine this caused a precipitous dip in our profits, which has snowballed into a need to cut hours.

This all equals not so happy times for us poor working stiffs.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Got woken up because the overnight doctor wanted to check my stitches so I'm up and posting from my laptop.

Here's the story behind this craziness...

Around 10pm last night, I decided to walk up the street to the neighborhood food store (24/7 basic grocer, about the size of a gas station store) because I was having trouble sleeping and I walk up there sometimes to talk with the guy, Juan, who owns it or his son, Anthony, the night shift clerk. Due to personal insecurity or instructor training, I wear a set of throwing knives on my arms and two on my belt. Part of it is because the grocer has a nice field in back with targets because his son practices archery while I'm allowed to practice throwing knives.

So...conversation had and walked out with a water bottle in hand to go home, a guy stepped out with a gun and told me to hand over my wallet and phone, then get on the ground face first. I put my water bottle down and looked over to Anthony since we were still in sight range of the store, guy freaked out a little bit and turned his head. I pulled the belt knives and stepped in closer to him, going after his gun arm and aiming at specific pressure points to disable it. Gun went off, pain erupted on my side as I sliced up and down his arm twice, then jammed both knives into his side and twisted as we both fell down together.

After that, I remember screaming and lights... EMT (is that the right word?) dragging me up and asking me how I was feeling. Family phone tree lit up, grandfather was there within a couple minutes (since we live together, he was less than a mile away); parents followed soon after. Stitches on my left side from the bullet, went in and out and missed organs though an inch to the left would've changed that and an inch to the right would've missed entirely. EMT did a patch job to stop the bleeding as we said we'd drive to the ER on our own since I was conscious. That led me to going to the ER about 10:45pm. Doctor saw me and they did some stitches and asked to keep me overnight. The stitches will dissolve on their own later, hooked on an IV antibiotic to ensure I don't get an infection from the bullet. Police said they would be talk with me in the morning.

As for the guy who attacked me, they were bringing him here by ambulance but the nurse said he was pronounced dead in the ambulance. No strong feelings on that, talked with family about it and a couple Discord friends. We'll see over the next few days if that changes... guy looked fairly young, not teenage young but maybe in his 20's.

Going to try for some sleep now.

Damn SAK, you were lucky; you definitely had someone looking over you last night! Doubly pleased you are relatively OK after reading what happened.

Definitely sounds like whatever training you have had has been good, as were your instincts, well done.

As for the guy who attacked you...he got what he deserved in my opinion. I know that some people will disagree with that, but I have unashamedly strong opinions on things like this formed from training and situations family and friends have been in. (I.E You do not point a weapon at someone unless you are prepared to use it and deal with any consequences this may bring, including the ultimate one.)

Regards your own feelings on the matter all I can say is take them as they come, accept them and work through them (with help if/when required), but never lose sight of the truth that you were defending yourself and in the right.

Hope you manage to get some sleep!

That's a significantly different story than I thought you'd be telling. Here I was thinking it would've been something along the lines of an accidental discharge. Considering how traumatic the experience has been (both physical and mental) I suggest you talk to a therapist. Even if you don't have strong feelings now, there's no telling how you'll be affected going forward. For one, expect nightmares or at the very least disturbing dreams.

Also, there's a fair few individuals here who'd be willing to talk if you need to vent privately I'm sure. Hoping for your swift recovery.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Another update: police have come and gone. No charges will be pressed against me. Anthony saw everything and confirmed that I was approached by the other guy and he was the aggressive party.

Guy was 22 years old, discharged soldier. News is still pouring in on it, watching the local scanner to see what else comes through.

Got woken up because the overnight doctor wanted to check my stitches so I'm up and posting from my laptop.

Here's the story behind this craziness...

Around 10pm last night, I decided to walk up the street to the neighborhood food store (24/7 basic grocer, about the size of a gas station store) because I was having trouble sleeping and I walk up there sometimes to talk with the guy, Juan, who owns it or his son, Anthony, the night shift clerk. Due to personal insecurity or instructor training, I wear a set of throwing knives on my arms and two on my belt. Part of it is because the grocer has a nice field in back with targets because his son practices archery while I'm allowed to practice throwing knives.

So...conversation had and walked out with a water bottle in hand to go home, a guy stepped out with a gun and told me to hand over my wallet and phone, then get on the ground face first. I put my water bottle down and looked over to Anthony since we were still in sight range of the store, guy freaked out a little bit and turned his head. I pulled the belt knives and stepped in closer to him, going after his gun arm and aiming at specific pressure points to disable it. Gun went off, pain erupted on my side as I sliced up and down his arm twice, then jammed both knives into his side and twisted as we both fell down together.

After that, I remember screaming and lights... EMT (is that the right word?) dragging me up and asking me how I was feeling. Family phone tree lit up, grandfather was there within a couple minutes (since we live together, he was less than a mile away); parents followed soon after. Stitches on my left side from the bullet, went in and out and missed organs though an inch to the left would've changed that and an inch to the right would've missed entirely. EMT did a patch job to stop the bleeding as we said we'd drive to the ER on our own since I was conscious. That led me to going to the ER about 10:45pm. Doctor saw me and they did some stitches and asked to keep me overnight. The stitches will dissolve on their own later, hooked on an IV antibiotic to ensure I don't get an infection from the bullet. Police said they would be talk with me in the morning.

As for the guy who attacked me, they were bringing him here by ambulance but the nurse said he was pronounced dead in the ambulance. No strong feelings on that, talked with family about it and a couple Discord friends. We'll see over the next few days if that changes... guy looked fairly young, not teenage young but maybe in his 20's.

Going to try for some sleep now.
If you can get any non medically assisted sleep after that you're made of tougher stuff than most.

Good to hear that you're going to be ok and that you won't be facing any charges. But yes, definitely seek counseling even if you think you're ok with what happened. It'll either help you deal with any regret or grief over it, or you'll find out that you are infact ok with what happened.

@SwissArmyKnife: I'd been kicking myself for not checking in here more often, and when I saw you mention in MonPrince's thread about being discharged and back home, I didn't realize what happened...

I second talking with a professional; if nothing else but to confirm you're okay. That said, it sounds like you're handling it as well as anyone could. I'm with the others in thinking you're exactly right for looking at it the way you are. And like Ham said, you've got a lot of friends here (and I'm sure at home) who care about you, and willing to listen.

All that aside, I'm seriously glad you're still with us, man, and that everything turned out alright. You know I'm always around if you need anything. I hope you're healed up soon, my friend. Stay safe.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
The plague returns! The same deathly illness that I had in Seattle back in 2015 has come back to make another attempt on my life.

It started yesterday when I woke up feeling like I had bronchitis, burning pain deep in my chest. I worked all day, coughing, gagging and dry-heaving the whole day. Last night I woke up dozens of times with coughing fits. I could mostly get some sleep on my left side, but if I turned on my back, it was instant coughing/hacking fit. If I dared to roll all the way over on my right side, game over, man, game over. Massive hack-fest, rolling out of bed and spewing huge chunks of gross into the bathroom sink, which was fortunately only two steps from my bed.

This morning I woke up feeling like a bag of hammered assholes, but I pushed through and went to work. Ibuprofen and guaifenesin taken in large doses and I managed to get through the day. Being Saturday, I chose to work rather than call in 'cause if I'm going to call in, it's going to be on Monday when I have an utterly massive workload and there's no way I can do this route sick on a Monday. As opposed to Saturday where most of my businesses are closed, so I can get the whole route done in six hours of street-time (as opposed to 8+ on Monday).

Tonight, the ibuprofen has worn off and I took another dose of expectorant two hours ago. Without the ibu, I'm acutely aware that I have a fever and not a mere 100 or 101. I couldn't find my oral thermometer, but I do have a laser thermometer and it shows my skin temperature at 99.6F. That's in a room with the AC set to 74. Going off old-school conversions, that puts my core temp at or about 103.6. I've dosed up on Ibuprofen again and am starting to feel a little better now. I can sit on my couch without my robe smothering me and not shiver anymore so that's an improvement.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
@SwissArmyKnife the world we live in is never a safe place, there is wickedness and weakness.

Sad to hear about the 22 year old discharged guy, he shouldn't have had the mind to go against a stronger person. You had every right to retaliate for self defense, if the death still haunts you, know that you did what was right. He may have been young, but he had the opportunity of backing out of the evil that he was going through.

I've always wanted to carry something of a little defense, and I plan to, just don't know what it is.

You are a good person SAK, you did nothing wrong and you did what you had to do, there will always be a life or death situation, you just lived another day through this planet we call home, home where anyone can cause trouble and greatness. May he Rest in Peace.
I hope things are looking better on your end. We are always here.

P.S. Because I can't write a nice enough response to help remove that guilt of death. I am sorry man... really am.

Christmas

Alamo Rookie
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update:

Been working out more feeling good about myself physically but damn I'm lonely.

I've been working on some new music lately, trying to get better study habits, and just navigate this whole college thing.

I started doing stand up comedy and slam poetry, as well as made a greater effort to be writing sketches and screenplays/scripts.

With the dancing I just got my backflip down so once I get more comfortable with that I'll be using that in my routines more.

Hope everything is well with you guys.

Quick recovery to you SAK!