What's Happening in Your World?

Maltriagon

Rescued Ally
I've been fighting for a new position at work. This job currently leaves me with no free time, the one I'm after will give me more time though. I fought with my union to get it . (It should have been mine in the first place.) I am now just waiting to start... which will be sometime before February... but they still haven't given me an actual date.

Virgel

Rescued Ally
I've been fighting for a new position at work. This job currently leaves me with no free time, the one I'm after will give me more time though. I fought with my union to get it . (It should have been mine in the first place.) I am now just waiting to start... which will be sometime before February... but they still haven't given me an actual date.
Nevertheless, congratulations! I hope that the transition goes smoothly and that everything gets worked out.

DicheBach

Rescued Ally
At present? Still binging on SoD . . . prior to that? Nearing 2d vectors and (was) expecting to get that under the belt by "beginning of the year." SoD has resulted in a bit of a delay in progress.

Once that is handled, I can likely turn my attention to the hex map generator that my partner/mentor and I need to continue moving forward on our project. Hopefully by mid summer 2018 I'll actually begin working on my "Everyone" rated side-scroller for revenue generation (not a genre I engage with, but if it sells, it sells). Maybe by 2019 the war game project (with the other dude) and the side-scroller will be in initial release form and HOPEFULLY I will have also made considerable headway in learning more advanced C++ stuff along the way.

WillieSea

Alamo Rookie
My woes, and rahs? Sure.

I lost my job of 14 years to a remote site closing, in June of 2017. I have been unemployed since then, living off my savings which runs out now. I will have to start dipping into my 401K savings in order to live and pay bills.

In December, I was approved for the Federal trade act, which pays for schooling for displaced workers. I start my Microsoft MCSD training on Jan 15th. And then what happens? Several offers of employment. I had to turn one down because they could not wait for me to take even my first semester of training which was already paid for, to a tune of $8500... (C#, HTML W/Java Script & CSS3, ASP.net MVC4 Web applications)

I interview yesterday for a different opportunity and they want me now! But they can wait until at least my first set of classes that was already paid for is done, so that job would start Feb 6th. I would only be able to get my MCSA certification with that training. I still have not 'accepted' the offer. I also had two more companies seek interviews with me just today! I told them to send me their information because I have not officially accepted any offers yet. Where were these companies 6 months ago?

So, the last 6 months I was very depressed with my job search and the lack of results I was getting. This last week has certainly raised my spirits a little bit.

Last edited:

Dhamptastic

Rescued Ally
I got an 18 cent an hour raise.

It could be taken as an insult after a year in which we basically rebuilt the museum's exhibit program, which is very popular, and visitor numbers even for the last few months is through the roof. A program I designed and built.

But I did a happy dance. Because museum funding is on the verge of death across the US, on all levels. 18 cents is better than having my hours cut.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
For the past 6 months I've been volunteering at a (don't know what you'd call them elsewhere) Neighbourhood House - they provide activities, food, financial assistance, stuff for the homeless and disadvantaged, including a regular group with intellectual disabilites. My stint ends about January 22.
It was boring af, half the time we stand around chatting and trying to look busy if anyone drops in.
Dunno what I'll be doing after I finish. Might get back into my small business but do something else. I used to deal in non sport trading cards but that got expensive as I wasn't working. I have to keep the domain names as they're established and, each time my renewal comes up (it's always paid in advance) I get squatters trying to pre-sell them back to me, lol. My host is awesome and any little issue that comes up they're onto it straight away. Bloody expensive for my hosting but worth it.

Anyway, might catch up on my gaming, reading and tv series while not volunteering. I prefer to stay at home, anyway :D

I think I finally figured out accounts and stuff here! Hey everyone! :)
Hello to you as well, and welcome!

Also, good to see you here too @Dantron

As for what I'm up to in my real life? Work primarily. Recently we've been going through several policy changes regarding the distribution warehouse and how they move merchandise. I can't really go into much detail but suffice it to say, there are severe growing pains.

Sadly, I'm not having much of a life outside work right now. Typically, I'm onsite from just after the sun has risen to just before it sets. Today is an anomaly in which I won't be leaving for a few more hours. The natural result of which means I won't be home until night has fully taken hold.

When I'm not dead tired I'm replaying Red Faction: Guerilla or Fallout: New Vegas.

BobCrees

Alamo Family
Well an update from me. My Daughter was made redundant end of last year. She used an online Employment Agency to get her that job. Asked the same company to help again. Last week she had 5 Interviews, got a definite job off from one, a show of interest from another company. She is waiting to see how she did during an interview she had yesterday (Friday) as that is the job she really wants.

Personally I have just had my House and Contents Insurance renewal - It has gone up by £90 and is now at £520 a year. A quick search online saw me finding the same insurance for £106 a year!!!!!