Question What is your DREAM mod?

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
For me personally, I’d really love a Romero Mod:
- No freaks.

- One bite = infection.

- No cure.

- Less guns & ammo too. In SoD1 vanilla (prior to YOSE) guns and ammo were very scarce, it actually felt like we were in a Romero movie or season one of TWD. Now there is more then enough guns and ammo to go around, it’s ridiculous. I just miss the original design.

Off Topic, and unmoddable, but I just want to share. I miss the brutal death scenes from SoD1.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Remove zombie spawning within sight distance

Remove zombie spawning within safe zones

Remove zombies spawning in your base and ganking you at the locker

Make AI actually engage threats instead of standing around like some tool who's enjoying jamming their thumb up their ass too much to actually do anything useful

Cut the frequency of enclave help requests down to once per real hour, have new enclaves appear once per day instead of as soon as one leaves or gets culled

Add an actual storyline. As barebones as the story in SoD was, at least it was SOMETHING to drive you forward.

In other words, a mod that makes the game not suck.

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
Remove zombies spawning in your base and ganking you at the locker
I am almost certain that it is scripted in the game for zombie spawns to happen within 5 seconds of opening any base screen.; which is totally unnecessary and really really poopy to do. this has to go for sure.

Righteous Ham

Zed Hunter
I am almost certain that it is scripted in the game for zombie spawns to happen within 5 seconds of opening any base screen.; which is totally unnecessary and really really poopy to do. this has to go for sure.
Really? I mean, that's just...
Words actually fail me here. This is such a disgusting idea. What purpose does such a thing serve other than to annoy the player? We've all vented quite thoroughly how some of UL's design choices are annoying but never once did I consider they were deliberately so. No design meeting should begin with, "this will really get under their skin."

OT:
  • Fuel efficiency increased by 1/3 as a baseline. Let's be fair, if these vehicles had real world fuel economy they'd be capable of traversing the map corner to corner a dozen times before needing a refuel. 1/3 is compromise between game balance and real world applicability.
  • Infirmaries can only be built if one's community has a doctor/EMT/nurse. In addition they only use medicine if someone is sick or injured. However, if someone is sick or injured past a certain threshold they'll only heal if they lay down for the duration of their treatment, thus removing them from play for a time. Basically, if someone has a fractured disk, cracked ribs, severe burns, gas inhalation; etc they won't be playable until healed.
  • To help combat the potential "over-poweredness" of the previous change (after all if you play methodically or are lucky enough, you might not get injured) additional sickness are introduced with varying affects:
  1. Cold (minor stamina penalty, character sneezes randomly and gets tired quicker) Character still playable and may heal on their own.
  2. Flu (Moderate stamina penalty, character coughs loudly and gets tired quicker) character still playable and may heal on their own.
  3. Black Fever (stamina penalty continually increases, loud cough and gets tired quicker) character will not heal on their own.
Black Fever is a special case and comes about from prolonged contact with the undead. Basically bites and scratches from regular Zeds. Both Black Fever and the Flu can lead to death, in BF's case death is guaranteed without treatment. Colds can't kill characters but if they check into the infirmary they'll recover faster.​

There are more ideas but I think this will serve for now.

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
Really? I mean, that's just...
Not really sure, as I know nothing of the code under the hood. But does it not seem like every time a base screen is open there is a zombie on your neck?
I noticed that from day one back in May.
My brother just picked up the game two days ago through game pass. Five minutes into his starter base, "Why are zombies attacking me in my base? There were no zombies here a second ago."
"Did you just open your locker or your base screen?"
"Yes."
"Welcome to State of Decay."

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Yes, it is, and yes it really seems like they are deliberately spawned in or near the base and home in on the player. I went AFK for over an hour once and left my character standing at the inventory box without it actually being open, when I came back he was untouched aside from being fatigued. I opened the inventory and within 30 seconds there was a zombie right there.

So yeah, there's no fucking way anyone is going to get me to believe that wasn't done on purpose. Mere incompetence doesn't cut it there.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
Remove zombie spawning within sight distance
Zombies do render in and out at a certain distance too. Theses particular zeds aren’t necessarily spawning in, they are there regardless if we are close enough (hordes for example). I have seen zeds spawn right in front of me though.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
Fuel efficiency increased by 1/3 as a baseline. Let's be fair, if these vehicles had real world fuel economy they'd be capable of traversing the map corner to corner a dozen times before needing a refuel. 1/3 is compromise between game balance and real world applicability.
I get that, but I can see why UL designed it like this too. Towns are practically 30 seconds apart from each other on all maps, and going from town to town in real life requires fuel. The scale of the ingame map probably needed to be considered when balancing the fuel consumption. It’s suppose to feel like going from town to town requires gas. It isn’t realistic at all, but neither is the map size.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Zombies do render in and out at a certain distance too. Theses particular zeds aren’t necessarily spawning in, they are there regardless if we are close enough (hordes for example). I have seen zeds spawn right in front of me though.
I'm not talking about render distance, I'm talking about the zombies that literally appear out of thin air right infront of (or next to, or behind) you as soon as you kill the ones that were previously there.

Vahx

Alamo Rookie
I get that, but I can see why UL designed it like this too. Towns are practically 30 seconds apart from each other on all maps, and going from town to town in real life requires fuel. The scale of the ingame map probably needed to be considered when balancing the fuel consumption. It’s suppose to feel like going from town to town requires gas. It isn’t realistic at all, but neither is the map size.
Sadly, It never feels like I go from town to town, it just like neighborhoods that are very far apart.
Marshall and Spencers Mill, that felt like 2 different towns, and Fairfield being an off-set neighborhood of Marshall.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Sadly, It never feels like I go from town to town, it just like neighborhoods that are very far apart.
Marshall and Spencers Mill, that felt like 2 different towns, and Fairfield being an off-set neighborhood of Marshall.
There isn't enough stuff in them to for even an entire map to be considered a town. I understand that to make even a partially accurate town would take a lot of work... but all of these put together don't quite make up one town.

They kind of dropped the ball on building types again, eliminating some that were there in the first game and failing to add others.

Stuff that should be there like town hall, apartments, supermarket, the attached halls on fire departments (almost every one I have ever seen has a hall to rent out for weddings and such), department stores, places like Home Depot/Lowes, Walmart types, and many others. It is almost like they haven't actually visited a small town and are just imagining one.

Add to that that there is one restaurant type and one bar type, so that even when there are multiples they are basically the same.

There is more stuff within two miles of my house than all three maps put together.

Righteous Ham

Zed Hunter
Not really sure, as I know nothing of the code under the hood. But does it not seem like every time a base screen is open there is a zombie on your neck?
I'm not doubting you, it just seems to unbelievable that UL would deliberately do such a thing. I plan to test this.
I went AFK for over an hour once and left my character standing at the inventory box without it actually being open, when I came back he was untouched aside from being fatigued. I opened the inventory and within 30 seconds there was a zombie right there.
Indeed? That's fairly damning, especially if this scenario is repeatable. Why would UL set it up this way?
Zombies do render in and out at a certain distance too. Theses particular zeds aren’t necessarily spawning in, they are there regardless if we are close enough (hordes for example).
Yep, the difference is subtle but generally zombies that are already present but aren't visible will fade into view as you draw closer. The actual render distance will vary from PC to PC and console of course. My only real complaint here is that my old copy of New Vegas seems to have a greater render distance.
I have seen zeds spawn right in front of me though.
Find a small number of zeds in an otherwise empty field. Kill them loudly and as you do so quickly focus your camera behind your character. You'll likely see between two and four zeds drop in. Literally. To maximize just how unfair this is, the game assures they spawn within immediate grabbing distance. :cautious:

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Indeed? That's fairly damning, especially if this scenario is repeatable. Why would UL set it up this way?
I have no idea, but if it really is done on purpose and isn't the result of some bad coding then it's an absolute dick move and totally inexcusable. This more than anything else is the reason I uninstalled and have not looked back, it has been there from day one and is one of the biggest things people complain about. Yet for whatever reason it has not been addressed, or as far as I know even commented on? Dafuq is this shit?

Granted I don't watch the streams so I may be wrong on it not being mentioned by UL, but either way it's BS that it even happens to begin with.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
They could counter improved gas mileage by reducing fuel availability. Players would then still have to decide when to/not to use fuel but without the immersion-breaking and tedious constant refills.

Mod dreams, though as other posts show, it's hard to separate "this'd be a nice tweak" from "ugh, please fix the base game function":
  • Time Passes mod to reduce gaminess, built of
    • I'm Working on It, Man. For actions that reasonably require time, like building an installation or repairing a vehicle, somebody(s) needs to be assigned to the task and are out of use while working on it. Actions take in-game hours or days, depending on complexity. Similar to YOSE facility building, probably harsher. Same might apply to facility day to day, some character has to be at facility X amount of time for special orders or just keeping it running.
    • Go the Fuck To Sleep: characters who aren't on watch or assigned duty lay down somewhere and sack out at night.
  • Zeds at the Gate: spend resources to make base gates tougher. Zeds CAN bust through given time, but now there's a point to reinforcing
  • Put It Over There: more than one mod per facility (partly to balance I'm Working on It), just one feels silly
  • Where Have All The Zombies Gone? Fix zed distribution as we've talked about elsewhere. Some places quiet, some full, and some surprises. POTENTIALLY walk cross country safely, maybe run into nasty horde. No more pop ups.
  • It's a Hard Knock Life: greatly reduced resources/loot setting. Turn off resource farming from outposts. Make scavenging matter.
  • You Need a Bath: Make the characters looks dirty, stain and stress their clothing. Now they just look like they're in ads for camping gear.

Last edited:

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
I agree, this first game did a much better job in map design. Towns in SoD2 are too close to each other, and the buildings within towns are too far apart. Hopefully they don’t F’up the Trumbull Valley remake.

spacemousetw

Alamo Rookie
portable locker
Actually this thing already made by CE from China, it can let your players transfer your resources or anything you found outside to your base without on the parking lot. But so pity, that guy did not want to continue to made this good thing. If I can have this mod, or ce tablet, I think I don't need any other mod.

Last edited: