What about Bob?

DicheBach

Rescued Ally
Since this thread is kinda "all over" and
I know you guys are old D&D grogs. I have a sad discovery I want to commiserate over.

I first played D&D in like 1984. AD&D as soon as it was released. I parted ways with D&D round about 1996, and haven't really been active in actual roleplaying much since then (did play some Warhammer Fantasy RolePlaying with a group in Montreal for the few years I was there).

Sometime in the late 1990s early oughties I picked up the "Baldur's Gate II Deluxe Pack." It was like . . . 6 disks or something and included most or all the expansions for BGII. It was fantastic. One started as a prisoner in the evil bad guys dungeon under at large city and had to fight your way out. Once you were out, you could go in seemingly any direction. I played it for a long time; never actually finished it, but HD's died, real-life demands imposed, I moved on and I'm not even sure if I still could find those disks or not.

10 or 15 years later. BG "TuTu" is a thing. So I got hold of that and gave it a whirl playing from the VERY BEGINNING of Baldur's Gate (though with the game content "ported" to the BGII "engine") and with the intent to play ALL THE WAY through BGI then carry those toons over to also play all the way through BGII. Never got too far. I found the interface slighly clunky and the game play at the beginning incredibly slow and dull (and lethal too).

Skip ahead a couple more years: and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is a thing, and of course I took the bait yet again. This seems to basically be a professional take on the BG Tu Tu mod, i.e., port the entire BGI game (and its expansions) into the BGII engine so one can play through the whole series with one protagonist and his/her buddies from start to finish.

Much better interface and the new zoom-in/zoom-out functionality is precious. But still: rather boring until one actually makes it to the Nashkell mines. I also found a couple aspects of the game dynamics to be rather maddening: (1) XP rates seem REALLY slow. After 10 or 15 hours of play ("~20 days" in game) my protagonist Invoker was STILL Level 1, Imoen had JUST leveled up, Khalid was still Level 1 and Jaheira had (surprisingly) leveled up well before anyone else. The sixth was Branwen and she of course had the least XP of any of them. Made it through the Nashkell Mines and got slaughtered by the boss and just said fuck this. and deleted the saves.

What is going on here? Have modern games ruined me?

There does seem to be a "shift" in the median values for certain game characteristics between say 1990 and today:
Lethality has decreased
Tedium has decreased
Accessibility and engagement have increased
Design which makes boring/annoying aspects of gameplay less offensive has increased

I would really like to have an ongoing string of saves, and slowly make my way with a few hours play per week toward finishing BGI and then export the toons into BGII and do the same. But given I honestly did not find my experiences with BGI EE to be distinctively "fun" so far, I'm not sure if it is a silly interest.

BobCrees

Alamo Family
Since this thread is kinda "all over" and
I know you guys are old D&D grogs. I have a sad discovery I want to commiserate over.

I first played D&D in like 1984. AD&D as soon as it was released. I parted ways with D&D round about 1996, and haven't really been active in actual roleplaying much since then (did play some Warhammer Fantasy RolePlaying with a group in Montreal for the few years I was there).

Sometime in the late 1990s early oughties I picked up the "Baldur's Gate II Deluxe Pack." It was like . . . 6 disks or something and included most or all the expansions for BGII. It was fantastic. One started as a prisoner in the evil bad guys dungeon under at large city and had to fight your way out. Once you were out, you could go in seemingly any direction. I played it for a long time; never actually finished it, but HD's died, real-life demands imposed, I moved on and I'm not even sure if I still could find those disks or not.

10 or 15 years later. BG "TuTu" is a thing. So I got hold of that and gave it a whirl playing from the VERY BEGINNING of Baldur's Gate (though with the game content "ported" to the BGII "engine") and with the intent to play ALL THE WAY through BGI then carry those toons over to also play all the way through BGII. Never got too far. I found the interface slighly clunky and the game play at the beginning incredibly slow and dull (and lethal too).

Skip ahead a couple more years: and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is a thing, and of course I took the bait yet again. This seems to basically be a professional take on the BG Tu Tu mod, i.e., port the entire BGI game (and its expansions) into the BGII engine so one can play through the whole series with one protagonist and his/her buddies from start to finish.

Much better interface and the new zoom-in/zoom-out functionality is precious. But still: rather boring until one actually makes it to the Nashkell mines. I also found a couple aspects of the game dynamics to be rather maddening: (1) XP rates seem REALLY slow. After 10 or 15 hours of play ("~20 days" in game) my protagonist Invoker was STILL Level 1, Imoen had JUST leveled up, Khalid was still Level 1 and Jaheira had (surprisingly) leveled up well before anyone else. The sixth was Branwen and she of course had the least XP of any of them. Made it through the Nashkell Mines and got slaughtered by the boss and just said fuck this. and deleted the saves.

What is going on here? Have modern games ruined me?

There does seem to be a "shift" in the median values for certain game characteristics between say 1990 and today:
Lethality has decreased
Tedium has decreased
Accessibility and engagement have increased
Design which makes boring/annoying aspects of gameplay less offensive has increased

I would really like to have an ongoing string of saves, and slowly make my way with a few hours play per week toward finishing BGI and then export the toons into BGII and do the same. But given I honestly did not find my experiences with BGI EE to be distinctively "fun" so far, I'm not sure if it is a silly interest.
Well as and when the D&D Game comes over to here - then I am more than happy to take you back to your youth, where you can experience D&D as it was intended:)