Well, it all worked out in the end.

Jack Talk Thai

Missing Survivor
I was fully intending to purchase an Xbox1 for the sole purpose of playing SoD2, but when the time came--literally, I was going the next day--research into the system showed me that the Xbox1 needed to have online access pretty much at all times, and to my understanding I wouldn't even be able to play some games--offline games, even--unless I had a connection. This was unacceptable to me, and I went with the PS4. Ennnhh, it's fun, I suppose, but no particularly mind blowing games as of yet for me. I enjoy Conan Exiles a bit, and I continued on with my Diablo 3 characters.

The thing is--I'd never played SoD Lifeline or Breakdown, all I had was vanilla SoD on an OLD 360 that hadn't been connected to Live in years. It dawned on me that I still had SoD content I could enjoy and it would be like a new game to me. I went out the other day and got the little Wifi adapter for my 360 (yes, it's that old), re-activated my Microsoft account (which was terribly easy, much to my shock), connected to Live and got the full SoD1 package. I'm even more in love with this game now.

I started Lifeline and love the dismal look of the darkened, burning city and the group of military I have as survivors. I went in blind, totally unprepared for sieges (jesus christ, man). I have no clue how Breakdown is supposed to be played but some time on Youtube can fix that. And I imagine vanilla is now updated (after connecting to Live the 360 downloaded a ton of updates and rendered my old saved game useless and un-loadable) with some new stuff. Up until now the vanilla version I was playing hadn't been updated for at least three years, if not longer.

My point is: I can't enjoy SoD2, no intention of getting an Xbox1 and besides, I trust a lot of your opinions and the game doesn't seem to be as loved as the first one. Having never had access to Lifeline or Breakdown before I now have 'new' content to play, and couldn't be happier. And paid under two bucks for each add-on.

UL struck gold with the first game, I'd much rather play it than the shiny new PS4 I have sitting there.

EDIT: Can a mod move this thread to the SoD1 boards? That's where I intended to post it, it's out of place here, my mistake.

Last edited:

Jack Talk Thai

Missing Survivor
No, because that would require an Xbox1, which I think I explained above is not an option for me.

Also, I mean 'enjoy' as in I cannot PLAY IT WITHOUT AN XBOX1. I'm sure I'd enjoy it to some degree, though most folks here seem to agree it's a bit on the easy side.

Last edited:
I'm glad you've rediscovered your love of SoD, it's really a fantastic game and fully updated is pretty neat. However, you don't need an Xbox anything to play SoD2. You could purchase it for the PC and download the app (which is free) that would allow you to play it. Unfortunately, the game still has an always online requirement but you don't need a Gold subscription to enjoy its online features.

No, because that would require an Xbox1, which I think I explained above is not an option for me.

Also, I mean 'enjoy' as in I cannot PLAY IT WITHOUT AN XBOX1. I'm sure I'd enjoy it to some degree, though most folks here seem to agree it's a bit on the easy side.
Thanks for the more explicit elaboration. I find it's usually for the best never to assume anything about what people say; ergo, if I'm unclear about someone's words, I'll invariably seek clarification. Which you have provided. And for which I thank you.

Yes, SoD 2 is a mite easier than its predecessor (though, frankly, not by much). And, yes, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd call SoD2 easier, per say. However, it certainly is more forgiving.
I'd call it easier due to the new traits, with survivors being able to get traits that negate injuries, raise happiness, feed themselves through +food daily, etc. It's certainly not as forgiving when out in the world soloing, especially if you don't use cars except as ruck stashes when transferring between bases.

The sieges and lack of "There are too many hordes!" events do make it rather dull when at your homesite. I actually really want an "Alamo" homesite again, middle of the city buildings, with hordes spawning and converging every 15 minutes if you aren't securing the area with outposts...

Jack Talk Thai

Missing Survivor
Is there anything YOSE has that my version doesn't? I just assumed my updated version would be YOSE but tit doesn't appear to be.

I actually really want an "Alamo" homesite again, middle of the city buildings, with hordes spawning and converging every 15 minutes if you aren't securing the area with outposts...
Corner office kinda does that, and Container Fort definitely does that if you don't keep the surrounding area clear.

Is there anything YOSE has that my version doesn't? I just assumed my updated version would be YOSE but tit doesn't appear to be.
YOSE mostly just has better graphics and an updated UI. There was some bonus stuff for people who owned the original version if they bought YOSE at release, but it's not available anymore unless you get a code for it from someone. Nicole used to give them out but that's obviously not going to be happening anymore.