Unable to play for 1 week [Fixed]

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
tl/dr - Uninstalling ZoneAlarm firewall/AV by CheckPoint fixed the problem

Long version...
Monday morning I played SoD2 for three hours. Had a few errands to run, so at 3pm I came back to play some more. Four minutes of play and I got an error pop-up in game, "Warning: A running process may be interfering with the correct operation of SOD2. This may be caused by anti-software, malware, game overlays, or other active processes on your PC." And a second message which said, "The signed in users do not have a license for this game. Please purchase the game or sign in a user with a valid license." After which, the game closed and I was left scratching my head. My system had been idle for three hours and suddenly the game refused to let me play.

Not unfamiliar with such problems, I did the usual...added exceptions to my firewall and AV software (ZoneAlarm by Check Point), still unresolved, so did more looking. Found many similar problems from May 2018, shortly after release, went through anything and everything I could find (except one ridiculously heavy-handed approach of deleting all cloud data, alleging the issue was a corrupt save, but I knew all three of my saves couldn't be corrupted simultaneously). Reset Windows Store, uninstalled/reinstalled SoD2, ran the Store Troubleshooter (UAC off is really a problem for you, M$?, FFS) countless times until it came back error free consistently.

More googling, found an issue with Teredo, so down that rabbit hole I went. Did in fact show the same symptoms, but after finally getting teredo working 100%...still can't play. Event Viewer showed me that every single time I had this issue, the system process "XblGameSave" was changed (either from auto to demand or vice versa), so that was my best lead, but very few results appeared for it, so I hung up my hat for a while and let it be for a few days, still unable to play. Oh, with the "improvement" of getting the error to appear within 90 seconds of game play now.

Back at it, something somewhere said that XblGameSave 'required' Windows Defender to be active, so I turned off my firewall/AV and turned on Windows Defender, as much as the thought nauseated me. No change, no fix. Remembering that I can play offline, truly offline, I disconnected my CAT5 from the ethernet port today and decided to play that way.

I was shocked when the same old message popped up again, this time though, it wouldn't close out the game, just looped back to the main menu and then threw the error up again and again. CTRL+ALT+Delete, opened the Task Manager intent on closing the SoD2 process, when I noticed something. Three processes were running, all of them were CheckPoint! FFS! Even off, the firewall was still running processes. So after a few minutes of uninstalling ZoneAlarm from my system, I fired up SoD2 again (still offline) and played for a good 30 minutes without any problem at all.

Edit to add, I played for a good three hours this afternoon, no errors, no crash, no problems at all.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
To believe such a firewall would prevent you from playing a game.
Task manager is my best friend hands down!
Yeah, the really odd part was that it happened in the middle of the day. No updates were scheduled, just randomly decided to change my shit and no warning. I should have checked the task manager after shutting off the firewall, but was probably worn out from all of the other shit I went through trying to resolve the issue.

I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't blocking the game directly 'cause I did have exceptions in both the firewall and the AV. I think it was preventing a service from working, XblGameSave seems most likely, but not entirely sure.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
I have that message pop up occasionally, seemingly without rhyme or reason. Sometimes I don't get it at all, sometimes it pops up as soon as I start a game, sometimes it pops up after I've been playing for a while. I just chalked it up to the usual microshaft incompetence.