Tips & tricks

spacemousetw

Rescued Ally
The flying knee/kick is what you get when you max out...Acrobatics, I think? You can sprint+jump while facing a zombie and you'll Matrix-kick them and topple them over.
Yeah, I'm trying now. And yes, it full of level in acrobatics, far distance will make flying kick(very cool and fast), and nearly distance will make flying knee. They're so cool but actually not really good in combat. Close combat will bring you really tough killing.
And the most important is, they're all need to unarmed to fight or they can't use.

By the way, I'm dreaming that I can get a character who have acrobatics, disciplined, stealth, and gunslining, and.... yeah, I find some guy who has lots of bad trait and he own that all combat and shoot skill. Damn, why can't I have some good guy to have those skills?

Erudain

Alamo Rookie
Also, for anyone having trouble with Plague Hearts, a single C-4 charge will destroy one at full health. Alternatively, if you have five fragmentation grenades, that'll also do the trick.
That might be for the first couple hearts but not for the later, I've had the first 1-3 hearts destroyed with one C4 charge, then hearts 4-7 needing 2 charges and the last hearts needing 3....probably a bit overkill on those, because I've destroyed one with 2 C4 charges + a molotov...so using 3 C4s charges is probably a waste on the 3rd, place 2 charges, shoot the heart a couple times and then detonate

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
Since the contents of your locker doesn't go with you when you finish the game give all your left over stuff to co op partners/friends. Since it doesn't cost influence to remove stuff from your locker just take everything you aren't taking with you legacy characters and drop it for a friend to pick up.

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
Since the contents of your locker doesn't go with you when you finish the game give all your left over stuff to co op partners/friends. Since it doesn't cost influence to remove stuff from your locker just take everything you aren't taking with you legacy characters and drop it for a friend to pick up.
I'm doing that with a friend now, acting as pack mule. Only take what is actually important, though, as they also might blow off normal painkillers, snacks, etc.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
Has anyone mentioned having a “free” outpost? Each time you go into a building you can clear it first to “put white on the board.” Then you claim the building, and then you search containers. You’ll automatically search at fasat search speed, but not make the extra noise. You put all the goodies in the locker, and rucksacks go in your vehicle. You just claim each building. You need to keep about 400 influence free. That includes what is in the outpost, as you get that influence back when close the outpost.

“White on the board” is the no spawn area created when you clear a building.

Christmas

Alamo Rookie
If you are truly desperate for influence, switching territories gives 1000 influence.

I started in a new territory, realized it wasn't the one I wanted, switched, realized it was the wrong one again, and then switched to the proper territory with a hefty 4000 influence at my disposal.
Just spend the 20 minutes waiting for the territory research to finish by locating supplies and looting

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
If you are truly desperate for influence, switching territories gives 1000 influence.

I started in a new territory, realized it wasn't the one I wanted, switched, realized it was the wrong one again, and then switched to the proper territory with a hefty 4000 influence at my disposal.
Really? How much does it cost to move? and do we keep our facility upgrades when we move from map to map?

Rossafur

Rescued Ally
Dunno if anyone's mentioned this yet, but once you get a pistol ammo press (75 .22 rounds for 2 ammo), the Ruger 10/22 with a professional suppressor is really all you'll ever need for a firearm (at least, if you're using a mouse and primarily go for headshots). Particularly the "Exterminator's 10/22", which is scoped with a 20 (+1) round magazine. Not sure if this is a nod to all the preppers/survivalists who have always said the Ruger 10/22 is the perfect survival rifle, haha. Even ferals go down in 3 or 4 shots. There are a bunch of other cooler looking guns I'd rather use, but things being the way they are, those just go on survivors I'm not using, who don't use up ammo.
Now if my IRL S&W M&P 15-22 with a 35 round magazine and a binary trigger was in the game, it'd be down-right God-like, haha.

Also, do other survivors/followers do friendly fire if they're using a grenade launcher like in the previous game?

CryoNomad

Missing Survivor
Outpost Tricks:

Since outposts give full refunds I always keep 1 unbuilt to be used as a floating outpost whenever I need it.

1. Run out of gas or need to fix your vehicle? Build an outpost in the building next to the car and pull out a fuel tank.

2. Want to raid a whole neighborhood in one go? Build an outpost and drop off all the small loot and just put rucksacks in cars. With a Van you can clear out large areas this way.

3. Run over a bloater that spawned out of nowhere? Spawn an outpost and switch characters.

4. Fast Loot without spawning zombies? After you clear a building turn it into an outpost. All searches inside an outpost are turbo speed for free.

5. Enclave need a generator/guns whatever small items but your far from home? Set up an outpost next to them and pull it from inventory.

Rucksack car hoarding:

I don't let the fate cards bring me down. I have 8 cars outside my base full of rucksacks and just keep the bare minimum needed inside my base to keep people happy. This seems to greatly reduce both the amount lost with each fate card and the total frequency of resources lost.

Enclave Rucksack Requests:

Out from home and an Enclave requests are rucksack you don't have? Go to the base menu and select "pull a rucksack (type)" from the menu. It will be teleported to your back! Easy quest completion.

Never miss a ladder

Want to be extra careful of the glitchy ladders and falling down them? Aim with LT trigger as you approach the ladder. Always successful.

Quick Trader Influence:

Ever once in awhile especially if you are still at your starter base you can get a trader that will set up at the locations you first start with as a home site. The one you have while you explore the map finding your first real homesite. This location still has a supply locker even after you move. This lets you pull things from your locker and mass sell to the traders for huge influence gains without making tons of trips. Later once you have some influence you can do this with any trader and setting up a nearby outpost.

Bring multiple rucksacks back from Online Play:

When looting online you bring back whatever you have equipped while your main game stays paused. If you join an online game whatever rucksack you have equipped will travel home with you. You can get even more free loot by switching characters during online play. Then each character brings home a rucksack and your main game gets more resources for your base without time passing. Just please don't steal rucksacks from the host.

Slow down the mission spam:

At the start when you have the mission to heal your community member of blood plague. Put him in the infirmary to put him in statis from dying but do not cure him. This let me scour the neighborhood in peace and I was not getting tons of quest popups.

Keep the tips and tricks coming!

Last edited:

Liamypoo

Rescued Ally
Builder legacy is the most OP amenity of the 4 available. Free water and power is invaluable with zero noise, zero space to lose and it widens your options in term of base management so much. At the minute Trader is probably 2nd best for me, I've not had much from the Sheriff drops bar an AR-15 and have yet to do the Warlord line.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
If you run out of gas in the middle of no where you can use the base storage to pull a ruck of fuel then bust it open to get a gas can. Its more expensive (4 fuel) that way but good if you aren't close to anything

meestah009

Missing Survivor
Did no one really bring up how awesome the Marathon skill is yet?

Morph.jpg

That's right. When you max out Marathon RUNNING DOESN'T COST ANY STAMINA AS LONG AS YOU ONLY HAVE A LIGHT LOAD.

Big deal? Well this also means that running, for whatever reason, is the same as standing still. So as long as you only have a light load you can actually recover stamina while you run!!

But wait, there's more!!! Once your character starts to experience fatigue RUNNING WON'T CONTINUE TO DRAIN YOUR OVERALL STAMINA VALUE!!!!!!!

Kid Kayole

Alamo Rookie
Did no one really bring up how awesome the Marathon skill is yet?

View attachment 1545

That's right. When you max out Marathon RUNNING DOESN'T COST ANY STAMINA AS LONG AS YOU ONLY HAVE A LIGHT LOAD.

Big deal? Well this also means that running, for whatever reason, is the same as standing still. So as long as you only have a light load you can actually recover stamina while you run!!

But wait, there's more!!! Once your character starts to experience fatigue RUNNING WON'T CONTINUE TO DRAIN YOUR OVERALL STAMINA VALUE!!!!!!!
Yep!! I've always been picking marathon if I can, it's awesome