The SOD2 You Imagined

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I remember that from the old forum. Something about "stealing an idea," or something from one of his books and not acknowledging him, when in fact he wasn't the first to think it up, he didn't invent it, it'd been done before IRL. I think it was over the whole Cleo drop thing.
If only we had access to the forum :(

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
There was a falling out and he left the project. There was info about it on the old forum but good luck finding anything now as far as specifics.
He was brought in during YOSE and that's where the cleo drops came from. He was supposed to be on board for SoD2 but something happened and he left, I don't remember the details.
Oh. I missed that part. I thought he was still with the UL team. I read all his zombie books but don't recall anything like the CLEO drop happening. Even an intro movie would be nice. Where you begin with 4 survivors and you're on a small plane and crash land at a municipal airport with zeds all around. Pilot dies of course but that's how your game begins.

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Great Democratic People's Republic of Illinois
I remember that from the old forum. Something about "stealing an idea," or something from one of his books and not acknowledging him, when in fact he wasn't the first to think it up, he didn't invent it, it'd been done before IRL. I think it was over the whole Cleo drop thing.
If only we had access to the forum :(
This. He popped into a thread to claim that the CLEO idea had been taken directly from one of his books (because, you know, air drops of supplies had never been done before), that he was the one who had come up with the language used for the drops (in order, callsign of the pilot, altitude of the dropping aircraft, and grid coordinates of the planned drop - all of which were standard aviatorese, so claiming he "invented" the jargon was a bit of a stretch), and claiming he hadn't been given any credit for it. He and Sanya had a quite ugly, albeit brief, public spat about it in that thread, with all of the ugliness being on his side of things.

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
This. He popped into a thread to claim that the CLEO idea had been taken directly from one of his books (because, you know, air drops of supplies had never been done before), that he was the one who had come up with the language used for the drops (in order, callsign of the pilot, altitude of the dropping aircraft, and grid coordinates of the planned drop - all of which were standard aviatorese, so claiming he "invented" the jargon was a bit of a stretch), and claiming he hadn't been given any credit for it. He and Sanya had a quite ugly, albeit brief, public spat about it in that thread, with all of the ugliness being on his side of things.
Did he happen to say what CLEO stood for? Haha.

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
There was more to CLEO than just a standard supply drop. It was as if some think tank was running an experiment of sorts. The weapons were specially marked and gave the sense that their "efficiency" was being recorded. Someone was testing a new generation of weapons specifically made for fighting the zeds and "we" used those weapons and supplies before the ground team did. The ground team was no doubt lost but CLEO was automated so it just located radio activity and dropped supplies. My theory on all this of course.

Anyways, I can see why Bourne was upset.

True Savage

Rescued Ally
-well one thing I cared more about is them continuing where sod 1 left off
-adding more freak zombies. My dad thought there was gonna be glider zombies and while that never happened it would be so badass to see terrorsaur or bat like zombies. They can pick up the survivors and drop them from really high up. I think it would be funny but frustrating for every time you get back up it just swoops down for you again and you are caught in this never ending loop unless you can get to a vehicle or reset the game
-keep the same characters from the previous games. I know we had bigfoot and Lilly but that is barely enough.
-speaking of bigfoot. I was really hoping to see what would happen after the lifeline story. Did the city get nuked or what and if it did. Is bigfoot actually coming for me or is he just an edgelord trying to scare me.
-last I can think of is for architecture to make more sense. It was a nitpick I had with sod 1 I mentioned before and it may have been fixed idk. But seriously every single building besides houses and two story office buildings didn't have bathrooms. Not even the restaurants including the one this forum is named after. why did some entrances to things face away from where people would normally be.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
Is it sad that I'd be really absurdly happy to see "survivors can attack with weapons in their right hands now" in the next patch notes? Sigh. There are larger issues, but those are discussed more commonly. I want some right handed survivors who can change their clothes once in a while. I want there to be an element of delegating responsibilities. I want so much more from SoD2. Y'know, like a goddamned story or something... Unfortunately, if any of the changes I'd personally like to see happen to come along, they're all gonna cost 10-15 bucks a pop. Shit.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
I played a few more hours with the new patch, didn't notice any glaring issues, but I recalled something that always sort of bugged me without putting it into words -- Ever since the story moments in the first game where the threat of turning was strongly emphasized like Sam's mission for example (trying to avoid spoilers even though I'm sure everyone here is intimately familiar with SoD1), I've always wanted to be able to see my failed survivors as a part of a horde later on in the game. If they weren't just torn to shreds, but instead, could turn and be encountered, I think it would make for some interesting moments at the very least. It's a major theme, after all, and while SoD1 touched on it, SoD2 doesn't even seem to bother.

I played a few more hours with the new patch, didn't notice any glaring issues, but I recalled something that always sort of bugged me without putting it into words -- Ever since the story moments in the first game where the threat of turning was strongly emphasized like Sam's mission for example (trying to avoid spoilers even though I'm sure everyone here is intimately familiar with SoD1), I've always wanted to be able to see my failed survivors as a part of a horde later on in the game. If they weren't just torn to shreds, but instead, could turn and be encountered, I think it would make for some interesting moments at the very least. It's a major theme, after all, and while SoD1 touched on it, SoD2 doesn't even seem to bother.
Actually it sorta does. Your d00dz don't get torn apart anymore if they die by Zombies, they just fall down and go "BLARG! I AM DEAD!" then get up and shuffle around until you find them. I can't speak as to what happens if they die by Feral or Jugg as I've not had that happen yet, and my only death by Zombie was on purpose just to see for myself after I read that there's no more "torn apart" deaths.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
Actually it sorta does. Your d00dz don't get torn apart anymore if they die by Zombies, they just fall down and go "BLARG! I AM DEAD!" then get up and shuffle around until you find them. I can't speak as to what happens if they die by Feral or Jugg as I've not had that happen yet, and my only death by Zombie was on purpose just to see for myself after I read that there's no more "torn apart" deaths.
Oh!

I actually just went and looked up death animations on youtube and you're totally right. My bad! It occurs to me now that the only deaths I've ever actually suffered in SoD2 are from Juggs where you get torn in half, so I never saw the turning animation from dying to regular zeds. :/ I also never realized that you don't actually die when you fall from water towers -- I used to get so mad at the ladder issues that if I failed to grab hold and plummeted to the ground I would just shut the game off mid-fall and start a new colony next time.