The SOD2 You Imagined

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
There's a short video up on Reddit just now of probably the worst spawning example I've seen. The post title "Once you clear an area, don't turn your back! " is literally accurate.
Yup, I've had this happen numerous times, it's as bad as one of the YOSE Lifeline spawns I ran into. One time I stopped on a highway to loot a truck and had to shoot a Bloater and some normal zeds that had spawned off to the side by some wrecked cars. They literally respawned right out of thin air infront of me as I was lowering my gun, I'd shoot them again and they just kept respawning right there.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
Yup, I've had this happen numerous times, it's as bad as one of the YOSE Lifeline spawns I ran into. One time I stopped on a highway to loot a truck and had to shoot a Bloater and some normal zeds that had spawned off to the side by some wrecked cars. They literally respawned right out of thin air infront of me as I was lowering my gun, I'd shoot them again and they just kept respawning right there.
I remember the Lifeline red zones worked that way. It was goofy but I was willing to tolerate it as a kind of clumsy way to simulate "never ever go here it's CRAAAZZZZY danger!", a rare condition the game couldn't truly handle. In SOD2 though it seems to be the SOP.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
It seems the kids on Reddit (and presumably on other forums and venues) aren't smitten with the idiot spawn rates, either. In fact, they seem decidedly irritable about it.

We already know UL doesn't listen to us anymore, but maybe they'll hear the outraged howls and screeches emanating from their new mainstream (and fleeting) audience. And then maybe they'll finally acknowledge that the spawn mechanic is idiotic. And then maybe
they'll . . . oh, I don't know . . . fix the fucking thing.

Maybe.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
Hey, not for nothin', but I think it's possible (quite probable, in fact) that the SoD 2 game-design staff simply isn't capable of extracting the maximum potential from their game. Imagination-wise, they're just not up to the task. They caught a dragon by the tail, and then they quickly lost control of it. That's my perception, at least.

The irony is that all the primary game-mechanic foundations . . . and I mean all of them . . . were laid down in SoD 1 and its two major DLC expansions. It was all there, eagerly (even desperately) waiting to be built upon, shaped, and refined. I swear to god, when I think too deeply about the squandered game design opportunities suffered by this title I can nearly weep. It deserved (it deserves) so much more.

It's beyond maddening.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
Wow, that was disgusting. It seems the only true place a character can be safe is on billboards and cell towers. :confused:
Cars, buses, wrecked shit; containers. Small gap jump overs...

Second floor of the barn... nope. The zeds spawn there now too... and on the roof of those as well...

And side note. @MonPrinCe got a Tiger Claw up on a Barn roof! Forgot to screen grab. But thought myself badass having done that.

Jesus Christ...
:rolleyes:

The game wasn't that bad when I stopped playing, now I think that I might just delete the thing and sell my unopened disc copy.
Does it come with another code? Ie... like the codes to get the bonuses???

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
Cars, buses, wrecked shit; containers. Small gap jump overs...

Second floor of the barn... nope. The zeds spawn there now too... and on the roof of those as well...

And side note. @MonPrinCe got a Tiger Claw up on a Barn roof! Forgot to screen grab. But thought myself badass having done that.

Does it come with another code? Ie... like the codes to get the bonuses???
SoD2 is disced as well, you will only get a code 1-3 days after the game has released. after that they have an expiration date tagged on them. so better find those codes online for a high price!

Oh shit yeah, it will. Oh fuckin' A.

God Him/Her/Itself could tell me UL hasn't a clue about the (fair and congenial) criticisms that've been forcefully and eloquently expressed on this forum and I'd laugh in His/Her/Its face. UL fuckin' knows.

Five long years between the original "State of Decay" and May 18, 2018; five long years to rewrite the faulty code and iron out all of the prominent (and constantly griped about) glitches; five long years to swab the deck, mend the sails, jettison the extraneous ballast, and get the bloody ship seaworthy. Five long years. And still they fucked it up.

And yet, even now, despite the egregious failures and the careless missteps . . . even now, I'm willing to give UL the benefit of the doubt.

All they have to do is make a few reasonable concessions to us, the OGs who kept the ship sailing for five long years, and who thus got to know every nook & cranny . . . every board, deck, mast, sail, room, and cannon . . . of that ship so very, very intimately.

And so we sit. And we wait.

UL knows.

Oh yes. The next few months will be most telling indeed.
A month would do some magic since most of the issue seems to be easily fixed by just changing the numeric value like zeds spawning rate. Just give them a bloody cooldown for like a day or two so clearing out the place before scavenging the area would feel rewarding or periodically base patrol cleaning. Less frequent fate card bullshittery and less filler nonsense fetch mission every 5 zodding minutes.

I still have hope that SOD2 could become better, but until that happens, any other game that does better to divert my attention would serve my time better than riding a ship that has holes on it and the captain says "it is fine". I would not wait there to sink with them. Until they patch those holes up good, I jump and stay on other ship.

Dan

Missing Survivor
Interesting ideas so far. I like the concept of “diverse moral missions“ with the given examples.
About bugs i have to say, I cannot blame the game because of heavy bug which would ruin it. Not even in Version 1.0
For a complex and half prized open World game, developt almost indie style, it was surprisingly stable to me, except of some heavy framerate droppings on my xone before 2.1. Maybe i was only lucky. Somehow, a flying car, a missing survivor or a Stuck car dont break the immersion for me. Maybe im still hardened because i played Elder Scrolls III Morrowind on xbox once. And i became addicted although the game was a technical disaster and a PC Player would never touch it.

Anyway, the SODII I imagine:
I wish the command centre would offer the possibility (Maybe later in the game as highest comand centre upgrade) to give simple, direct orders, send out a survivor to loot a location, call back a Survivor. Of course not in a way that make own lootings totally obsolet and they NPCs can never be as efficient as the player. But this would bring another level to the game and maybe a hirachy for NPCs and lots of other possibilities. And more strategic desicions where to set up outposts ecetera.
In my current game I often fight enclaves and i have to say that the A.I. is alright. Not badder than in a lot of AAA Games.
And it does not have to be perfect. I remember in SOD1 there was a call by radio and a swat team was fighting for you for a while. It was trashy but it was fun.
So, the survivor would of course wohld not behave perfect and rescue missions will show up. But i like such experimental features. And as side effect, i could spend a ingame-night in base from time to time and organize and plan and give orders. Always be the guy fighting outside at the front while they annoy with their behaviour in safe home makes a bit aggresive sometimes. :q

Zechs

Rescued Ally
So many people loved breakdown that is what they made SOD2 in to. I don't think they ever had intentions of having any type of story or ending goal. (I don't consider the legacy quest and a cutscene an 'ending')
Yeah it's unfortunate. Breakdown did so because it was a break from the campaign (or additional once campaign was done). Breakdown might not have done as well without the campaign. Given that we got kinda attached to all the characters.

Viperho

Rescued Ally
Interesting ideas so far. I like the concept of “diverse moral missions“ with the given examples.
About bugs i have to say, I cannot blame the game because of heavy bug which would ruin it. Not even in Version 1.0
For a complex and half prized open World game, developt almost indie style, it was surprisingly stable to me, except of some heavy framerate droppings on my xone before 2.1. Maybe i was only lucky. Somehow, a flying car, a missing survivor or a Stuck car dont break the immersion for me. Maybe im still hardened because i played Elder Scrolls III Morrowind on xbox once. And i became addicted although the game was a technical disaster and a PC Player would never touch it.

Anyway, the SODII I imagine:
I wish the command centre would offer the possibility (Maybe later in the game as highest comand centre upgrade) to give simple, direct orders, send out a survivor to loot a location, call back a Survivor. Of course not in a way that make own lootings totally obsolet and they NPCs can never be as efficient as the player. But this would bring another level to the game and maybe a hirachy for NPCs and lots of other possibilities. And more strategic desicions where to set up outposts ecetera.
In my current game I often fight enclaves and i have to say that the A.I. is alright. Not badder than in a lot of AAA Games.
And it does not have to be perfect. I remember in SOD1 there was a call by radio and a swat team was fighting for you for a while. It was trashy but it was fun.
So, the survivor would of course wohld not behave perfect and rescue missions will show up. But i like such experimental features. And as side effect, i could spend a ingame-night in base from time to time and organize and plan and give orders. Always be the guy fighting outside at the front while they annoy with their behaviour in safe home makes a bit aggresive sometimes. :q
yup they regressed with dynamic events in SoD2, not sure how that is possible. Nothing really "happens" in SoD2, its all very simple fetch quests and radio missions. I think they are struggling with limitations with unreal engine imho. I wish the enclaves were more "alive" they should be able to move into bases and upgrade, etc. i was hoping for a "rise of nations/civilization" type of experience.

Kiel555

Missing Survivor
Looking at posts around here we're clearly not a happy bunch. I don't think SOD2 is the game that many of us expected, much less wished for, and now the old boys are restless. So I'm interested in the game that we would have wished for. What features were you betting/expecting/dreaming would be part of this version?

I'll start with a couple of my "oh man it would be cool if" feature wishes. I meant for years to register at the old forums to suggest these but I am normally a chronic lurker and never did. I've no illusions about my own influence but I think now I'd at least feel better if I had.

Diverse Morale Missions.
Morale missions got out of hand in SOD1, often half my community was standing around waiting to be taken for a little walk. I wanted them tamed down some.

More importantly, I wanted diversity in their objectives. It was always bizarre to me that the SOD1 prescription for every psychological problem was "go beat some zombies to a second death." I imagined every survivor having one to three traits that would indicate the kind of morale mission they would need. A book lover needs to go to the library or the supermarket to find some paperbacks. Somebody else just needs you to drive them around for 15 minutes for some fresh air. Another one wants to go visit a gravesite. This gal wants to hang in the mountains for a while, that guy is on a quest for Twinkies. And then Ms. Violent really does just want to go crack heads open

Some of these would've been your basic fetch quests but I think they would've felt a lot more human.

More Varied Zed Spawning.
I hated how zombies spawned everywhere. Cornfield at the ass end of nowhere, 2 dozen zombies in sight. I wanted reasonable randomization. The cornfield is usually empty or nearly so, but sometimes a horde wanders through. Better be ready! Downtown is usually crawling with them but sometimes you get lucky. We were actually told we'd get this in SOD2 but I think it turned out to be a cruel joke.

Unpredictable Vehicle Damage.
Cars were fun and they felt necessary, but running over zombies became my go to strategy and felt abusive. It was a shame because some of the most fun in the game was when you didn't have a car at the beginning and had to go sneaking about.

I thought it would be great if, rather than taking cumulative damage, cars took random damage effects based on their make and what you did with them. If you're lucky you might get away with bouncing across fields and running down zombies for weeks, especially in a rugged pickup. Or, maybe you busted an axle when you took a pizza car across a field at 50. Maybe the 3rd zombie you hit somehow damages the radiator and now you're about to overheat, or you blow out a tire hitting a curb at speed. I loved the idea of taking calculated risks that could blow up in my face.

On a related note, I also wanted some cars to have keys handy, others to require a non-universal hotwiring skill. Maybe my bad driving has left me without a ride on the wrong side of the map, oh no!

Reclaiming Our World.
This was the big one. Breakdown offered progressive difficulty but always bothered me because the decision to move was purely a game choice. The player did it for metagame fun when from the characters' perspective it was a horrid decision. Let's go where it's more dangerous!

I imagined SOD2 taking place maybe 6 months or a year after 1. The idea was humans were trying to bounce back. Somebody, maybe Greyhound One, had started a sanctuary somewhere and was trying to reestablish civilization. Your characters start as noobs sent out to Do Something Useful. Establish outposts in these 3 neighborhoods, provide security while a tow truck clears this section of road, gather all the medicine in this hospital. Thin the herd in this area, get this power station running, find the last jerks we sent on a suicide mission. Find all the survivors you can in such and such place and bring them on in, look for auto parts, etc.

You've got to meet the basics of survival while also pursuing the mission goals. Your success or failure drives your standing amongst the survivor organization. Finish mission, go back to base. Your survivors are now in a pool to use for future missions and accumulate rank that determines how complex or dangerous a mission they can select and what resources and team members they can take. Basically, you can get the progressive difficulty of Breakdown while making more sense.

I also imagined some kind of trauma system that might push these characters towards retirement from stress or injuries. So, you could have a Marcus who was just the man, doing great things to help humanity recover, but maybe eventually the shakes and nightmares get too bad and he retires to sanctuary leadership, part of your Hall of Fame.

That's a bit of the fantasy SOD2 to that was running in my head. Anyone else have one?
I'm not disappointed with SOD2. Actually, it's a lot of fun and I like the changes. However, I though UL had hired JL Bourne to help with some of the stories/missions. I loved all his books and they involved airports, airplanes and ships. I haven't seen any of this in SOD2. I didn't think flying a plane was possible but boats and island hoping is doable.

I wish the command centre would offer the possibility (Maybe later in the game as highest comand centre upgrade) to give simple, direct orders, send out a survivor to loot a location, call back a Survivor.
I recall seeing this idea before on the old board and I'm in favor of it. It's great that our people no longer go out all the time and need to be recused constantly like in SoD. However, UL pushed too far in the other direction as they now never leave the base. Which matters very little when random zeds stroll up to you while browsing your base inventory, but I digress.

Having a command center worth its name would be a wonderful addition. You could send characters out to cell towers and bill boards so one doesn't have to do all the scouting themselves. Perhaps than, you could assign characters to scavenge reveled buildings or even set up outposts. As lovely as this feature sounds, I somehow doubt UL would be willing to implement it as it reduces the amount of direct intervention the player is needed for.
I think they are struggling with limitations with unreal engine imho.
Considering all the game that are running on Unreal 4, I somehow doubt it's the engine that's the problem. Especially when one takes into account that several of the same glitches showed up in this version that appeared in SoD, which ran on the cry engine. While I can't say for sure, I wouldn't find it surprising that they switched a lot of their code from one engine to the next and were inelegant in their execution.

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
I'm not disappointed with SOD2. Actually, it's a lot of fun and I like the changes. However, I though UL had hired JL Bourne to help with some of the stories/missions. I loved all his books and they involved airports, airplanes and ships. I haven't seen any of this in SOD2. I didn't think flying a plane was possible but boats and island hoping is doable.
There was a falling out and he left the project. There was info about it on the old forum but good luck finding anything now as far as specifics.