The SOD2 You Imagined

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
Looking at posts around here we're clearly not a happy bunch. I don't think SOD2 is the game that many of us expected, much less wished for, and now the old boys are restless. So I'm interested in the game that we would have wished for. What features were you betting/expecting/dreaming would be part of this version?

I'll start with a couple of my "oh man it would be cool if" feature wishes. I meant for years to register at the old forums to suggest these but I am normally a chronic lurker and never did. I've no illusions about my own influence but I think now I'd at least feel better if I had.

Diverse Morale Missions.
Morale missions got out of hand in SOD1, often half my community was standing around waiting to be taken for a little walk. I wanted them tamed down some.

More importantly, I wanted diversity in their objectives. It was always bizarre to me that the SOD1 prescription for every psychological problem was "go beat some zombies to a second death." I imagined every survivor having one to three traits that would indicate the kind of morale mission they would need. A book lover needs to go to the library or the supermarket to find some paperbacks. Somebody else just needs you to drive them around for 15 minutes for some fresh air. Another one wants to go visit a gravesite. This gal wants to hang in the mountains for a while, that guy is on a quest for Twinkies. And then Ms. Violent really does just want to go crack heads open

Some of these would've been your basic fetch quests but I think they would've felt a lot more human.

More Varied Zed Spawning.
I hated how zombies spawned everywhere. Cornfield at the ass end of nowhere, 2 dozen zombies in sight. I wanted reasonable randomization. The cornfield is usually empty or nearly so, but sometimes a horde wanders through. Better be ready! Downtown is usually crawling with them but sometimes you get lucky. We were actually told we'd get this in SOD2 but I think it turned out to be a cruel joke.

Unpredictable Vehicle Damage.
Cars were fun and they felt necessary, but running over zombies became my go to strategy and felt abusive. It was a shame because some of the most fun in the game was when you didn't have a car at the beginning and had to go sneaking about.

I thought it would be great if, rather than taking cumulative damage, cars took random damage effects based on their make and what you did with them. If you're lucky you might get away with bouncing across fields and running down zombies for weeks, especially in a rugged pickup. Or, maybe you busted an axle when you took a pizza car across a field at 50. Maybe the 3rd zombie you hit somehow damages the radiator and now you're about to overheat, or you blow out a tire hitting a curb at speed. I loved the idea of taking calculated risks that could blow up in my face.

On a related note, I also wanted some cars to have keys handy, others to require a non-universal hotwiring skill. Maybe my bad driving has left me without a ride on the wrong side of the map, oh no!

Reclaiming Our World.
This was the big one. Breakdown offered progressive difficulty but always bothered me because the decision to move was purely a game choice. The player did it for metagame fun when from the characters' perspective it was a horrid decision. Let's go where it's more dangerous!

I imagined SOD2 taking place maybe 6 months or a year after 1. The idea was humans were trying to bounce back. Somebody, maybe Greyhound One, had started a sanctuary somewhere and was trying to reestablish civilization. Your characters start as noobs sent out to Do Something Useful. Establish outposts in these 3 neighborhoods, provide security while a tow truck clears this section of road, gather all the medicine in this hospital. Thin the herd in this area, get this power station running, find the last jerks we sent on a suicide mission. Find all the survivors you can in such and such place and bring them on in, look for auto parts, etc.

You've got to meet the basics of survival while also pursuing the mission goals. Your success or failure drives your standing amongst the survivor organization. Finish mission, go back to base. Your survivors are now in a pool to use for future missions and accumulate rank that determines how complex or dangerous a mission they can select and what resources and team members they can take. Basically, you can get the progressive difficulty of Breakdown while making more sense.

I also imagined some kind of trauma system that might push these characters towards retirement from stress or injuries. So, you could have a Marcus who was just the man, doing great things to help humanity recover, but maybe eventually the shakes and nightmares get too bad and he retires to sanctuary leadership, part of your Hall of Fame.

That's a bit of the fantasy SOD2 to that was running in my head. Anyone else have one?

Last edited:

Rossafur

Rescued Ally
The biggest things I always said "I will still be happy if all they do is..." were:
1. More polished (fewer bugs, glitches, janky animations)
2. Less nagging busy work, so I can play how I want to play
3. Bigger, more realistic bases (actually being able to take the logical first-steps in fortifying your base: fixing holes in walls/fences, and gates that can't just be broken in by 1 zombie in a matter of seconds), with more room for customization and growth
4. Customization of character apparel
5. Being able to man and fortify your outposts

And we got....................... none of those.

Oh, and then my "in lieu of any of that...": more moddable so the community can make it into the game I want. Got nothing there, too... So far seems to actually be *worse* in that aspect than the previous game.

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
I'll probably say more later on but I'll just start with this. I overhyped and I let my mind go wild of all the potential things the game could be. I should have set my expectations and when the problems started showing it made the disappointment worse. I just wanted I guess "more" but the only more I got was more bugs. I was hoping not buying the ultimate edition would not burn as much but up to this point I honestly dodged a bullet there. When I talk to my friends they say how they "lost all hype" and now I get what their saying :cautious: but for the future of sod I say "we'll see when we get there"

Last edited:

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
3. Bigger, more realistic bases (actually being able to take the logical first-steps in fortifying your base: fixing holes in walls/fences, and gates that can't just be broken in by 1 zombie in a matter of seconds), with more room for customization and growth
Yeah, good one, meaningful defenses would have been great.

On the plus side there's something to be said for consistency.

More meaningful bases.
I wanted to see being able to rebuild a base if I didn't like the sites you could claim. The container fort, bridge fort, and strip mall are awesome, the police station is decent, but the brewery sucks and the camp is crap if you're using Builder legacy (and why would anyone not if it's available?), and the fact that I don't remember any of the bases from Drucker aside from the mall tells me they were mediocre at best. Why can't we tear down unwanted facilities like the stills at the brewery? We can salvage a room full of washers and driers at the mall, so a few stills shouldn't be any more difficult to tear down.

The minefields, fireworks, and gas cans in Lifeline were great and I wanted to see something like that be available but it didn't happen. Being able to fortify a base is almost essential to keep the random ninja zombie bullshit from constantly happening. Building a base from the ground up would have been great but I didn't really expect it to be doable.

Better vehicles.
The upgrade kits are nice but limited, they do one thing for a type of vehicle, no way of selecting something like raised suspension at the expense of heavier armor or something. What really disappointed me about vehicles was how they will flip over if upside down. If you screwed up and rolled your car in SoD it was a very bad thing, but now rolling a car is a joke. At least we don't randomly flip over from driving down a perfectly flat section of road anymore, so I guess that's something.

Weapon mods.
You find a nice AR, but it's basic and just has iron sights so you want to add a scope, a suppressor, and an extended mag? Sure, but it'll make it heavier and harder to control. Find a shotgun? Add a choke or cut it down. Yeah the barrel mods are something but it could have been a lot more.

Better enclave interaction.
I guess we sorta got it, but not how I had hoped. Instead of actual allies you could work with we get whiny needy losers who can't do a damn thing for themselves and need their hands held at every turn, then get pissy and leave town or turn hostile if you don't do everything they ask. I actually kinda like how you can't see someone's traits until they're recruited but not being able to recruit the whole enclave if you want to makes no sense.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I just wanted the story to continue on with more little clues about the cause of the outbreak. Story mode and LL were great, we pick them apart and debated them....I know some of us had a blast working on the huge timeline thread. I was hyped for 2 and a chance to do it all over...... and then they said it's going to be 15 months after the first ended. It was like a slap in the face and I even beg and pleaded for it to be changed...if I was like super rich I would have thrown millions of dollars at them just to get them to listen to me.

The only things I wanted other than a continued story was bigger better bases, more maps and more interactions with npc's and enclaves. I really didn't want much I think.....because I loved the first game so much. But with the game we got, it kind of broke my heart because it could have been so much more.

Last edited:
The Black Friday + Snyders trucking + 18 outpost mod = not even close version of what I would have expected.

If we were the best group around, hell we would have taken and held every single damn building in a city block; made it a fortress... and then expanded building by building, city block by block.

And once we own one district; there are another 8 to go to claim our little city.

-------

With the 18 outpost mod, Danforth was a solid white space of awesomeness. Held all the needed radio spots; food; ammo; the works. Was a self sustaining military operation. THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Then again I was on siege 115 before killing off 45 soldiers by jumping them off the tallest cell tower. Once at that point was not much more to do. Needed just only 5 or so guys armed to the teeth and boom boom boom! "Watch em' fly"

I was able to build up and supply my guys properly, without having to deal with constant crap.

SoD2 fails with sieges... no amount or timer or anything to tell you how much longer the siege is going to be (if you use the white noise option to trigger a siege) just constant killing and killing and killing.

But then the "in game siege triggers" and you face 3 zeds for 2 minutes??? The fuck?

There is a total lack of consistency with SoD2. It does many things all very poorly. Except causing grief at it's failures.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
I really didn't want much I think.....because I loved the first game so much. But with the game we got, it kind of broke my heart because it could have been so much more.
The other day my Xbox had a brain lock, I had to get down and restart it manually. When I did the YOSE disc popped out, I'd forgotten it was in there. This feels ridiculous to say, but I had a genuine "awww" moment as I put it away, I felt truly sad. It was like coming across a memento from an old friend where things didn't work out in the end.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
many many many things but id settle for just 2 main changes to start with

1. our survivors arent completely moronic idiots that dont waste resources through shear stupidity
2. other enclaves arent such whiney little bitches who dont seem to be capable of even tying their own shoelaces

these are not the people who would still be alive 15 months into a zombie apocalypse

personally think these 2x things need to be addressed first before moving onto to everything else that needs fixing

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Honestly haven't read through this thread entirely (I will) but for me SOD was just that shit matter. I remember playing Dead Rising and a mission fairly early on gets you to go get drinks or some such thing for the survivors. I was so excited because I thought that it actually mattered... NOPE. Not long after that quest did I realise there wasn't anything exceptional with the game.
I'll assume I don't need to justify why shit mattered with SOD1.
SOD2 practically nothing matters,
  • I can break a car but repair it
  • I can jump off a building and get a spinal fracture but use a first aid kit
  • I can make my base so that there are no resource drains (besides random events I have no control over)
  • I can exile survivors that might need managing to some degree, in favour of someone else because I can only have 9
  • I can melee an entire hoard of plague zombies, melee the heart, get infected and still f'ing cure myself in less than 10 seconds and do the SAME THING AGAIN........... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ironically the only real thing that matters are the bonuses those bloody enclaves give, but it gets to a point I would rather forgo the bonus and have them leave than be pestered by them multiple times per day. How the hell did they survive 15 months FFS.
I could limit myself, and honestly I've tried but the thing is there still isn't anything that matters. I could cancel my power supply (IRL) to make those last few duracell really matter but what would be the point because those duracell can't compete against a power station. Slightly warped analogy but hopefully the point is made.

spacemousetw

Rescued Ally
The biggest things I always said "I will still be happy if all they do is..." were:
1. More polished (fewer bugs, glitches, janky animations)
2. Less nagging busy work, so I can play how I want to play
4. Customization of character apparel
5. Being able to man and fortify your outposts

Oh, and then my "in lieu of any of that...": more moddable so the community can make it into the game I want. Got nothing there, too... So far seems to actually be *worse* in that aspect than the previous game.
Totally agree~!
I really hate janky animations....really, the animation director is really worse than sod 1. Animations of sod 1 is the most impressed thing I feel. I don't even think they can make it. They have strong ideals of martial art and actually really can play it very fun.

rusty_benrussellb

Missing Survivor
Honestly I had so many expectations for state of decay 2 it was a bit unrealistic. I did have fun thinking about what the game could be even if it would never happen:

- a yearly cycle with seasons and dynamic weather (someone mentioned on here before about having thunderstorms at night that light up silhouettes of distant zombies)
- Being able to place a base anywhere in any house, building or even fields and expand almost as much as you wanted
- zombies not wandering into your base and being able to have meaningful defences like traps and multiple watchtowers
- Guns, ammunition and cars being much rarer
- multiple different modes of transport such as bikes, lorries etc
- fast travel with outposts that costs fuel and require people to live in them to function
- larger hordes and bigger infestations
- quarantine zones like in dying light that can act as incredibly hard but rewarding linear missions, in which once you enter, you either die or complete the objective
- Gun modification - something like in The Division
- melee weapon modification - baseball bat with nails/barbed wire etc (I could see this going the dead rising route if it was added due to the unfortunate direction UL seems to be taking, especially with that last DLC)
- more unique weapons such as bows or crossbows
- In depth vehicle customisation - not this half assed stuff we have at the moment
- customise your base more with skins (facility skins and the such) these could be scavenged or unlocked from....
- daily/weekly/monthly challenges with rewards
- leaderboards with in depth statistics of everything we have done
- renaming communities, giving your community an emblem, flag you can design, lots more customisation etc
- change clothing on survivors and scavenge clothes
- farming being more detailed where certain foods that can be grown give different benefits and you have to scavenge their seeds
- the game needs to be harder too, and vehicles need to be nerfed
- varied human enemies - looters, cannibals, cults for example
- A CITY MAP FFS - on that note, the 3 maps we received were pretty disappointing, I expected completely different themes for each one; city map, farmland SOD1 like map and a mountainous snowy map is what I envisioned
- and an actual continuation of the story we had in the first game, missed opportunity imo

A lot of these additions I can see as controversial tbh, but they were simply ideas that I came up with friends. I have more too

The option to NAME your base and your survivors. (This would work perfectly fine in SoD 2 because the story is all BUT non-existent.)

The option to customize your survivors' clothing items. (Why the fuck they neglected to include this oft-requested feature this time around will mystify me until the End Times.)

The option to modify zombie type/density/speed for customized gameplay.

These were my dream features for SoD 2 . . . all of them long since gutted and thrown to the wolves.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
Honestly I had so many expectations for state of decay 2 it was a bit unrealistic. I did have fun thinking about what the game could be even if it would never happen:

- a yearly cycle with seasons and dynamic weather (someone mentioned on here before about having thunderstorms at night that light up silhouettes of distant zombies)
- Being able to place a base anywhere in any house, building or even fields and expand almost as much as you wanted
- zombies not wandering into your base and being able to have meaningful defences like traps and multiple watchtowers
- Guns, ammunition and cars being much rarer
- multiple different modes of transport such as bikes, lorries etc
- fast travel with outposts that costs fuel and require people to live in them to function
- larger hordes and bigger infestations
- quarantine zones like in dying light that can act as incredibly hard but rewarding linear missions, in which once you enter, you either die or complete the objective
- Gun modification - something like in The Division
- melee weapon modification - baseball bat with nails/barbed wire etc (I could see this going the dead rising route if it was added due to the unfortunate direction UL seems to be taking, especially with that last DLC)
- more unique weapons such as bows or crossbows
- In depth vehicle customisation - not this half assed stuff we have at the moment
- customise your base more with skins (facility skins and the such) these could be scavenged or unlocked from....
- daily/weekly/monthly challenges with rewards
- leaderboards with in depth statistics of everything we have done
- renaming communities, giving your community an emblem, flag you can design, lots more customisation etc
- change clothing on survivors and scavenge clothes
- farming being more detailed where certain foods that can be grown give different benefits and you have to scavenge their seeds
- the game needs to be harder too, and vehicles need to be nerfed
- varied human enemies - looters, cannibals, cults for example
- A CITY MAP FFS - on that note, the 3 maps we received were pretty disappointing, I expected completely different themes for each one; city map, farmland SOD1 like map and a mountainous snowy map is what I envisioned
- and an actual continuation of the story we had in the first game, missed opportunity imo

A lot of these additions I can see as controversial tbh, but they were simply ideas that I came up with friends. I have more too
THAT I'd play.

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
...id settle for just 2 main changes to start with

1. our survivors arent completely moronic idiots that dont waste resources through shear stupidity
2. other enclaves arent such whiney little bitches who dont seem to be capable of even tying their own shoelaces

these are not the people who would still be alive 15 months into a zombie apocalypse

personally think these 2x things need to be addressed first before moving onto to everything else that needs fixing
AMEN this! I wasn't EXPECTING much as far as game specifics. I figured I'd enjoy what I found and enjoy the surprise.

But I WAS expecting to have everyone I ran into already be the equivalent of 5-star in everything. Simply surviving 15 months will weed out any of the inexperienced.

The resource evaporation seriously pisses me off. It's not simply in a 'we Really needed it' way, it's a 'we don't comprehend that basic combinations like fire and gas, or water and X, are bad'. Oops, there goes 20 gallons of gas!!! AGAIN!

The person who programmed the basic stupidity of survivors has some explaining to do!

Also, I miss Lily. At least she knew you were busy, or was supportive, or she let you work in peace. This new batch is just a pain.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
Surviving in a zombie apocalyptic world. This is what made SoD1 special. A small dev team appeared to be on the right track even with the limitations of an Xbox Live Arcade title, they blew everyone’s minds and a cult following began to grow. It wasn’t perfect but it had a lot of potential. Unfortunately like many games before it, the sequel tried to appeal to a wider audience by exploring new creative directions. What was originally believed to be the ultimate zombie survival franchise in the making has made even its most loyal followers question the direction of the franchise. It’s quirky features, colourful clean-cut survivors, occasional ridiculous animal hoodies, etc have spoiled the immersion we found in the first game. Then again maybe we just had a false impression on what SOD was trying to be? Maybe we saw what we wanted to see, and not what the devs were envisioning? In the end it is what it is. This is SoD now regardless of we believed it was going to be. What did I want in SOD2? Like Jeff Strain said, a bigger, better, badder State Of Decay, and we did get that in a lot of ways, but we also got a whole lot of questionable stuff. The cult following is still here, but the fact that this thread triggered some deep replies makes it obvious that the cult following has been comprised.

Some random guy

Missing Survivor
For me the problem is that it becomes the opposite of what a survival game should be - it becomes too comfortable too quickly. I was expecting the game to be more challenging by far:

1. All zombies to have blood plague or at least an option to choose this. I hardly ever got infected in 3 full play throughs, but there was always an abundance of plague cure on hand anyway. I had to RP a no plague cure game to make it more challenging, but still didn't have anyone die from the plague.

2. Sieges more like Lifeline - throw a few ferals and juggernaughts in the mix. Build up the defences and have more base areas to build on.

3. Bigger enclaves - clearing out a hostile 3 man enclave is too easy. As you've got a massive stockpile of valuable stuff I would have expected hostile human sieges too.

4. More deadlier combat. It is too forgiving unless you get absolutely mobbed.

5. Also there is the lack of story. With the game being a bit easy it does need something else to keep you interested.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
many many many things but id settle for just 2 main changes to start with

For the last 15 months the moronic idiots have been getting the good survivors killed on their endless fetch quests leaving the world with complete useless dipshits.