The Rant Thread

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Sunk Cost fallacy. "I've already put so much time/money/effort into it, might as well see it to the end!"

And that's what I'm worried about. She hasn't spent tons of money specifically, but the amount of time and attachment she has... if money gets brought up then she's all in, because why wouldn't she be? She's already invested hours and hours of online interaction with them. She's part of the "family", you wouldn't betray your "family" by not supporting them. Ugh.
I wish I had some helpful advice to give to get your mum out of that situation but I really haven't got a clue.
My mum is trouble for similar reasons but different circumstances and these days I'm just disinterested. She doesn't want help so I just leave her to it.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
tradies

what sort of asshole thinks its appropriate to be operating heavy machinery in a residential area at or before 7am? tradies
what sort of asshole thinks its ok to yell at each other at the top of their voices what they did last weekend and what they will do this weekend in a residential area at or before 7am? tradies

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
tradies

what sort of asshole thinks its appropriate to be operating heavy machinery in a residential area at or before 7am? tradies
what sort of asshole thinks its ok to yell at each other at the top of their voices what they did last weekend and what they will do this weekend in a residential area at or before 7am? tradies
If you know who's doing it get some fart spray and douse their front door with it. Works best if they don't know who did it.

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
I don't Know, but I'm Guessing that "tradies" stands for tradesmen/ construction workers. Presumably osamaclees has a road crew in their neighborhood, so they wouldn't know which front door to douse.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
yeah tradies = in this case construction crew that are landscaping an empty section for house build
tradie is what we call any "labourer" like electricians, plumbers, landscapers, construction, builders, road crew etc etc

started on thursday, woke me up at 645am with a giant digger. when i try to go to work (at 8.50am for gentlemens hours at 9am) for some reason one of them had parked his ute across my driveway blocking me in, and worse had taken the barrier they were using to block of the driveway to the land they were working on and stuck it in my driveway leaning on the fence a hand span away from my damn expensive to fix anything on volvo s60
asses

ih and ofcourse the asses turned up at 650am on a fucking saturday!! then left before 12. just enough time to ruin every ones sleep in and piss off the whole neighbourhood.

they may all be genuinely nice guys in practice but for some reason no tradie ever has ever given a shit about respect when working in residential areas

extra bonus rant: i use the queens english old boy, stop telling me i spelt labourer and neighbourhood wrong website!

TheMuse

Rescued Ally
The city trains you to sleep through noise haha. The next big earthquake is just gonna make me roll over and go back to bed lmao

I feel the pain though, our next door neighbors are doing a bunch of renovations and yup, early morning. I sleep through most, but this past morning some particular noise woke me up, kinda alarm-sounding, I thought it was because of my grandma for some reason, which is the only reason I got out of bed to check on everyone. Not so fun to have a sleep cycle disturbed.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
@osamaclees I would check your local laws and see if they aren't violating noise/residential labor laws by starting so early. I know around here that residential labor involving heavy machinery or destruction (home construction/road work) cannot start before 8am or they pay daily fines.

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
Some time last night, my phone's SD card died. So I lost all my music (it's backed up) and my meme collection. Plus a bunch of pictures and other things which were actually important but now I know not what they were.

A reboot brought it back, but it's questionable whether anything is corrupted now.

Last edited:

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
Some time last night, my phone's SD card died. So I lost all my music (it's backed up) and my meme collection. Plus a bunch of pictures and other things which were actually important but now I know not want they were.

A reboot brought it back, but it's questionable whether anything is corrupted now.
Since my computer died. I have gone from 4,600 photos and video on my phone... now barely over 2,000

Deleted every single photo or video related to games... was a large amount related to walkthroughs or recipes in game.

I feel your pain. My music or my daughter's cute kiddie music and videos... are now the only thing I care about. She won't have her videos n stuff any more... and will be left with just watching a phone screen...

This hurts more.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
@Dunadain flash media is easy to recover, just take your micro into a (proper!!!!!!!! as in no low cost place or department store with a "photo center") photolab and they should be able to recover the photos/vids from it no problem well photos are easy but video is a little harder. if a single frame comes back corrupt it ruins the whole sequence. if its a 10 second video well at 30 frames per sec thats 300 frames to recover and then resequence, so yeah imagine a 10 minute video!!!
if no one will do it or they want stupid money for it, you can honestly post to me and ill do it for free.
micros are shit though unfortunately. id say id have a 98% recovery success from SD cards and around 70% for micros

also et all, phones are by far the worst storage device you could possibly imagine. never ever rely on them for storage. back up everything important to an actual desktop pc if you can, or portable hard drive (id recommend the shockproof and water proof ones as yeah portable) and if you really have no other choice a laptop. (laptop HDDs are shiiiiiiiit, i have never seen an internal pc HDD truly die but ive seen a few laptop HDDs that have)

same with HDD @LiNanMian1984 more than likely you can just pull that HDD out of your pc and plug it into another one and just copy off what you want (just make sure the pc's boot sequence isnt changed, it should just be plug and play though)
although i read that your pc unfortunately melted, still a good chance the HDD is fine though.
even if not it can be recovered same way as flash media and also if worst comes to worse as it is a magnetic hard disk it can be forensically recovered. expensive, could be $1000-$2000 NZ dollars to do so but depends what your info is worth
more than likely you should be able to plug it into another pc though and if the power board has gone on it you can actually remove and re solder a new/old board onto the hdd. if shes melted shes melted though (forensic recovery can still recover from melted HDDs though)
i dont know anything about SSDs in these cases.

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
I knew retail was horrible, but no one quite articulated how bad it would be. I'm working for a store that is closing in a couple days. As you can imagine, it's quite hectic. Probably not the best first retail experience, and personally not something I'd prefer to repeat in the future.
What store is that? If you don't mind me asking.

Morak

Rescued Ally
It's really sad / frustrating when you talk to one of your bosses about your concerns over the direction something is going. And you are told that your suspicious and concerns are unwarranted. That the thing you are worrying about is not going to happen (for at least as long as they are in charge). And two business days later you have something slide across your desk that seems to confirm everything that you were talking to your boss about.

If your are going to change something at least have the guts to tell your employees about it. Or at least confirm it when they come to you about it. It is not like the deception will not go unnoticed

Alan Gunderson

Rescued Ally
I’m a world class asshole. That is all.
Hey, don't beat yourself down like that, Fabian.

You've been with us a long time, and we've seen that you're a good egg. Moods change, and so do we. I know that I used to take out my problems on others. At least you were able to identify it and see what other people were seeing. That's being self-aware, and it's already stepping in the right direction for going about things the mature way.

The cool thing about being part of this forum with people that are a mish-mash of everywhere from the Undead Labs community is that you don't have to be perfect 100% of the time. You can be illogical, you can be logical. As long as you're you, and you can come back, we will be here for you. If it was me in a horrible mood, I know that I'd benefit from a nice walk listening to some music. Or a run if I'm up for it. Do what you think you should.