The Rant Thread

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
Maybe they should have just upped the file size limit for the cloud instead of screwing up peoples games (especially considering that UL is now a MS subsidiary)

I didn't see them mention this in the patch notes. Seems kind of shitty to do advertise no cap (actually I think it was referenced as "so high no one will ever hit it") on the limit of heros in the pool then cap it at 50 without warning so you lose people from the pool
I knew about the limit from watching the UL stream but wasn't sure how it would work. After seeing what it does to a large pool first hand, chatting with Geoffrey and UL on Twitter I learned the finer details. Any info or lessons learned from playing the game I try to pass on top everyone here. I was told I gave the some great feedback and how the game handles the survivors pool may be changed in the future. A little to late to save my people but it may save others in the future from losing their best people.

e5futter

Rescued Ally
I absolutely hate how bacon packages will have a "pull here to open" flap on the corner of the package, but that corner will be held together by what feels like ungodly amounts of super glue. I just want to cook some bacon for breakfast. I don't want to feel like I'm competing in a strong man competition.

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
I absolutely hate how bacon packages will have a "pull here to open" flap on the corner of the package, but that corner will be held together by what feels like ungodly amounts of super glue. I just want to cook some bacon for breakfast. I don't want to feel like I'm competing in a strong man competition.
REAL MEN cut a slit down the middle with a knife and rip the Bacon out of the package's rotting carcass.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
REAL MEN cut a slit down the middle with a knife and rip the Bacon out of the package's rotting carcass.
Yeah, but the lazy guy who doesn't cook bacon usually throws the whole package in the frying pan and hopes for the best while he takes a shower.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Wait, what? You throw the whole pig in a frying pan?
No, no, you throw the pig in a pit that's been prepared hours ahead of time, maybe even weeks ahead of time but you just can't get around to actually carrying the pig over there.

On a rantable note, I am really tired of being sick all the time. Just finally getting over some wounds through wound care and now I may have developed strep throat from hanging out with my niece. I'm also finding other people irrationally stupid when driving and it's starting to piss me off a lot more lately because of how often it's occurring... no lights on when it's raining or dark, cutting across three lanes of traffic just to slam on their brakes and turn into a restaurant, and three SUV drivers who had enough road rage to push each other into the guard rails on the highway three days ago. All three vehicles got totaled and two of the drivers died...it was insanity.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Last weekend I saw an accident where an SUV failed to give way to a motorbike on a roundabout. Bike got destroyed and the rider (good thing he was wearing leathers) just sat on the road stunned. I couldn't stop but the SUV driver did. If he hadn't I would've as I was behind the SUV previously. Times like that I wish I had a dashcam.
Saw a woman run a red light and almost clean up the car in front me another time.
Good thing I didn't go on the green immediately otherwise she would've smacked into me 😐

e5futter

Rescued Ally
Yeah, but the lazy guy who doesn't cook bacon usually throws the whole package in the frying pan and hopes for the best while he takes a shower.
Y'all two just made my morning lol.

@Mystyk be safe friendo, people are damn maniacs on the roads!

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
@Mystyk be safe friendo, people are damn maniacs on the roads!
I have a dashcam, now. Not a very good one, as its already got issues. But, the idiot at JB Hifi supplied the wrong type of SD card for the camera. According to a popular Australian dashcam website/forum SanDisk SD cards are a big no no. That's what's in mine.
We're new to the dashcam thing (me and Mum) so, we didn't know.
When I had an issue I Googled it and found a good article on that dashcam site.
Now that the thing isn't really working stuff happens all the time, in front of me. I just pretend to "take a snapshot" when something happens. Other people don't know it's not working :)

I can't even hook up the dashcam to my PC. It says, "unrecognised USB device." (n)
Because the cam isn't really working (I have only the small green power light on, and that's it. No onscreen recording, so I can't use the buttons), I can't playback footage via the camera, either. It's just all stuffed. Piece of crap. I forget what it's called. Starts with K. Kapture? Something like that.
Not sure if it's still under any warranty, though. We already had to replace it with another as part of the arm on the suction cap part was broken. Unlikely my Mum still has the receipt from several months before Xmas.

I have to get another one. I have one on my wishlist. A bit dearer, but it's got to be better than the cheapest. This time I'll get a proper SD card, now that I know what it should have in it. Also will need an external card reader in the meantime. Have no drive to read SD cards. I passed on that when building.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Well, I have something to rant about.

My dad is an air force veteran, retired after 30 years as a Chief Master Sergeant. He is 78.

On October 30th, 2018, he went to the VA for a cardiology checkup after his doctor detected a minor irregularity. They didn't report any issues at the time.

On December 2nd he had a massive heart attack. This lead to a triple bypass and valve replacement. The day after the surgery he had a stroke, which ended up not being all that bad because it was while he was in the hospital and they started treating it immediately.

He spent 19 days in the hospital, then 34 days in a rehab facility, and he is still having trouble walking, mainly due to weakness in his right leg from the stroke. But, he is recovering.

The thing that is irritating is that he got a letter yesterday (Feb. 8 2019) from the VA, dated January 31 2019. That is, 3 months after the appointment. It recommend that he go back to cardiology for an evaluation due to a heavily blocked cardiac artery. EDIT: This is what he was at the appointment for in the first place... a cardiac evaluation.

Had they made the suggestion on a timely basis, he would have had angioplasty and a stent, and the heart attack would have been avoided, and he would have spent a day or so in the hospital with no lasting problems.

Three months to write up the results and mail them out.

Last edited:

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
@QMJS - that sounds like the beginnings of a letter to your Congressperson. VA is notoriously backlogged, understaffed and pitiful in its service to our vets. I had a medical issue this week, could have gone to VA, but instead I shelled out $350 out of pocket 'cause I needed it taken care of, correctly and immediately.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
@QMJS - that sounds like the beginnings of a letter to your Congressperson. VA is notoriously backlogged, understaffed and pitiful in its service to our vets. I had a medical issue this week, could have gone to VA, but instead I shelled out $350 out of pocket 'cause I needed it taken care of, correctly and immediately.
Exactly. We need to buy a few less tanks that get shipped out to be parked in a field instead of ever being used, and divert that money to the VA. Counting the planes that are not yet fully operational after years, (and with a 25% actual versus planned lifespan), and ships that can't make it 50 miles out before engine failure and hulls cracking from tugboats touching them... we spend so much money on stuff that just doesn't work, there should be no issue whatsoever with fully funding the programs that have been promised to veterans.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
I have a dashcam, now. Not a very good one, as its already got issues. But, the idiot at JB Hifi supplied the wrong type of SD card for the camera. According to a popular Australian dashcam website/forum SanDisk SD cards are a big no no. That's what's in mine.
We're new to the dashcam thing (me and Mum) so, we didn't know.
When I had an issue I Googled it and found a good article on that dashcam site.
Now that the thing isn't really working stuff happens all the time, in front of me. I just pretend to "take a snapshot" when something happens. Other people don't know it's not working :)

I can't even hook up the dashcam to my PC. It says, "unrecognised USB device." (n)
Because the cam isn't really working (I have only the small green power light on, and that's it. No onscreen recording, so I can't use the buttons), I can't playback footage via the camera, either. It's just all stuffed. Piece of crap. I forget what it's called. Starts with K. Kapture? Something like that.
Not sure if it's still under any warranty, though. We already had to replace it with another as part of the arm on the suction cap part was broken. Unlikely my Mum still has the receipt from several months before Xmas.

I have to get another one. I have one on my wishlist. A bit dearer, but it's got to be better than the cheapest. This time I'll get a proper SD card, now that I know what it should have in it. Also will need an external card reader in the meantime. Have no drive to read SD cards. I passed on that when building.
sandisk is actually the best brand for camera cards. if you are talking about "proper SD card" then sandisk is the best. find a dashcam that can take them. unfortunately the world is absolutely addicted to paying as less as possible for cheap crap, quality is irrelevant and the worse thing is its getting hard to get quality stuff as no ones interested in it and it doesnt sell. my advice though is do not look to save money or get one "a bit dearer" etc. if this is just a bit of fun then go ahead but if you are getting this for insurance purposes to have proof of what actually happened then make sure you get the right device for the job you need.
but most dash cams are shit especially ones sold by department stores, hmmm not shit more like totally and utterly kamahamaha shit
there is alot of poor quality dashcams, action cams etc that dont work with sandisk cards
you have to ask yourself what quality they must be if they cannot make use of the worlds best brand of flash media!

be careful which brand of card you use or more than likely you wont record anything anyways or lose it due to corruptions and card errors. micro SD cards are already shit and bad brand just makes it a million times worse.
i dont know if dick smith is still operating in aus (they folded here) but DO NOT TOUCH A DICK SMITH BRAND CARD OF ANY TYPE, most dick smith labelled cards are some other brand where the cards in question failed their quality control and dick smith buys them and slaps there label on them.
the amount of dead dick smith cards ive had come into my shop is beyond imagining. mostly from my regular customers too who i have warned and warned and warned but are so tight they cant help but go and buy them to save that $8 :rolleyes:
sandisk, lexar, silicon power the best. adata, kingston are ok nothing wrong with them and anything with a proper camera brand (canon, nikon, fuji, olympus) label on them are fine though i doubt you will find a micro from them (they dont make cards but ofcourse will only stick their label on good ones). do not by any card that has a "shop" or "franchise" or something similar label on them.
verbatim i think is popular in aus, they are ok, not great but ok. there will be other brands that are "good" that ive never heard of but these are ones i have that i know are good.
SD cards (and micro sd) are very different from other types of cards. CF and XD for example are all the same regardless of their capacity but SD is not. anything up to and including 2gb are SD andything 4-32gb is SDHC and anything 64gb and above is SDXC this is very very important as although they still look the same they are completely different formats. devices are backwards compatable but if a device takes SDHC it cannot take SDXC. most dashcams, especially the cheaper ones, take SDHC only. so if you have a 64 or 128gb micro sd and your dashcam is sdhc compatable only then it cant take that card. once again most department store staff do not know this

also dont rely on department store workers to actually provide you what you need. they do not know what they talking about, most are on minimum wage and only make money on commission. its not to say they just trying to rip you off they just dont know what they talking about (massively high turnover of staff in department stores and most are young people in their first job, they know nothing about the products coming into the job and the only training they get is from the reps selling the products and what reps going to say "oh yeah this product of ours is shit you should recommend they get this one from our competitors instead"!!).
panasonic for example is the worst camera brand (i dont count the likes of samsung etc) poor picture quality and terrible build quality yet they are the most sold brand, why? department stores and staff who know nothing about cameras selling them. they do have amazing screens on the back though they does make it look like they take a good picture (kinda like phones except phones are considerably wore) hell every german tourist i get in my shop has a panasonic camera. they told mr burns that germans arent just smiles and chocolate and they are correct they are the most anal race when it comes to quality and over engineering etc yet they all have panasonics, why? department stores.
its a harsh generalization and there are dept store staff out there that do no what they are talking about and there are some peeps that have come from a background such as i know a few peeps that used to own a photolab and after harveys destroyed their business now operate the harvey photolab etc and they definitely know what they are taking about. i know a few and used to know all the staff at the harveys here and i taught them all they know about cameras. everything from the importance of formatting all the wat through to what aperature means and how to use it etc. so god about 12 years ago the harvey staff here knew there stuff when finding the right camera for you today though they know nothing down there. its mean but unfortunately most dstore staff do not know what they are talking about.

ive been told by the many aussie tourists that come in that theres really no proper photo labs in aus anymore and the few that remain are staffed by same as department stores so unfortunately might not get any help there but otherwise honestly go into a photolab and hopefully there will be someone there who knows their product.
bear in mind too with dashcams there is a hell of alot of provisos. check for maximum card size and be aware of brands not to use, which is not necessarily bad brands ive seen ones that say cant use quite a few of the good brand ones. they usually do say in the instructions which "known" brands they cant use. intova was a fantastic brand of action cam (way betetr than gopro at half the price. far better white balance) and they could take sandisk but wouldnt take silicon power (my preferred brand) for example

an internal card reader will cost you like $30 if you have a spare HDD slot in your PC case go for that over an external reader.

Last edited:

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
sandisk is actually the best brand for camera cards. if you are talking about "proper SD card" then sandisk is the best.
Not according to Dashcams Australia.

Yes I have a slot in my PC for an internal reader but it's a gaming PC and I'm not filling up empty drive slots with stuff I'll only ever use once a year. If I keep filling the empty slots my airflow gets worse. Next up is a modular power supply. There's only so much "cable management" you can do inside my case before the excess has nowhere to go but in the empty drive slots.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member

Yes I have a slot in my PC for an internal reader but it's a gaming PC and I'm not filling up empty drive slots with stuff I'll only ever use once a year. If I keep filling the empty slots my airflow gets worse. Next up is a modular power supply. There's only so much "cable management" you can do inside my case before the excess has nowhere to go but in the empty drive slots.
If the files are just regular old video (mp4) then you can probably just plunk the card into your phone, connect your phone to your PC and use that as an external storage device to move them to your PC. Just throwing that out there.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally

heh fair enough, i know what the inside of my PC looks like, built myself with no cable ties hehe, and i have both a internal reader and a floppy A drive in there. my cables are shove every which way but its still all good.
when i was at film school my PC hated me when trying to rend stop motion (i had an overclocked p3 533hz i think? couldnt afford a modern pc and it really wasnt up to the task lol!!!) and i had like 5inch commercial ducting running from it both to dump heat out the window and draw in the cold air from back of house hehe, good times

yeah theres alot of missinformation there. i really thought that site would of expalined what ive rambingly typed below
sandisk high endurance cards (specifically made for constant record devices) are rated for something ridiculous like running 24x7 for 10000 hours non stop! they are also resistant to shock and weather extremes and waterproof. the record times differ on card type. the 10000 hours is SDXC cards so 64gb and above, pretty sure the SDHC cards (4-32gb) are less maybe 5000-6000?
the issue is getting the right cards. sandisk is designed for professional video and photography use and like almost all cards out there are just not designed for constant looping video.
many manufacturers have cards designed specifically for the dashcam market.
dashcams stress the fuck out of cards because of the length of recording times and the auto looping but also because they are very poor quality devices also micro sd cards are shit really really shit. so you have 2 poor quality things together creates the perfect storm, most cards are not designed for this (all brands good, great and poor) you need to get the ones that are made specifically for the dashcams which many brands offer.
transcend for example (which i am not a fan of normally) makes a very high endurance card specifically for dash cams and other constant record systems. these cards are a waste of money even in professional cameras and video cameras but dashcams are a different beast. i dont remember who but one dashcam manufacturer their engineers use this specific card to test their image processors and they do not have the run time of the sandisk high endurance (6000hours vs 10000hours)

hope im not sounding rude (internet has no context and i ramble i know it) but sites like that really piss me off. they do not explain correctly why not to use a sandisk card (which most people will because it is the best brand bar none in the world for flash media so therefor all shops from pro photolabs all the way through to dept stores stock them) and instead includes them in the same sentence as "fake and refurbished" cards. its not actually dont use sandisk its "dont use any card thats not designed for the device
sandisk ultra is designed for full HD recording 1080p both consumer and professional video recording
sandisk extreme is designed for 4k recording both consumer and professional
sandisk high endurance is designed for constant record devices regardless of their record quality. vga or true 4k doesnt matter if the device is constant record this is the required card.
like you need a class 6 or above SD card to record in 1080p. if you go out and by a class 4 sandisk card and it doesnt work is it that sandisk is no good? or is it that you do not have the right card for what you are trying to do!

"SanDisk can cause both functional and physical damage to your Dash Cam" this is completely untrue. anytime a micro sd (or any type of card regardless of brand, good, great, amazing, poor, shit it doesnt matter) fails you lose the information on it and thats it (mostly recoverable aswell) they will never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER damage your device unless someone like Q has got their hands on it and changed the NAND for some explosives trigger by electrical connection!!
that line is a complete falsehood!

flash memory sucks, its just crap, and miniaturized versions of things are worse so is very important to get the right card for the right device and it does annoy me sites like that dont explain it properly dont tell you that its got nothing to do with the brand its just not designed for that intended purpose.
i get customers in here that ask for a card for their camera and when i grab sandisk they are like "oh no thats a crap brand i dont want that" which is retarded it is the best brand of flash media for digital cameras and digital video cameras but because of sites like that they think they are poor rather than not using the correct one.
i used to sell silicon power cards because they were excellent and half the price of sandisk and id get so many customers refuse to buy them cause they gotta have sandisk and now because of this sort of misinformation its flipped to i dont want sandisk?
ive even had someone in store and when they pulled their sd card out of their camera it was a micro in an adaptor and when i explain to them how thats an extremely bad thing to do they say "oh but the guy i bought camera from said thats way better than a proper sd card" fucks sake

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie

It would be much easier and cheaper to just use an external card reader. They're inexpensive and (mostly) reliable, if a bit slow.