The Little Niggles Thread.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
The kicker...the code exists for the tutorial, so they know how to implement it, they just choose not to or it didn't occur to them that people might want to have the choice.
I am not entirely certain, but I think this may have been a change made in one of the patches. If I had to guess, it might be the patch that starts you at the starter site instead of without a home after moving maps.

At one time, I was starting new games, loading up the survivors from previous playthroughs that I didn't want to keep around (assuming that eventually I'd have no idea which ones were carrying the stuff I loaded them up with), and then deleting the game. I am fairly sure that it allowed you to select it.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
My biggest complaint/gripe about 2 is plague hearts. Hate, loathe, despise the whole concept and execution. Just irritates the hell outta me. I'd rather wipe 'em out, enjoy taking my time without plague zombies all over the damned place and end my game when I feel like it then to have to endure two maps worth of them.
Do you object to the Plague Hearts from a narrative standpoint (in that they have zero continuity with--or connection to--the first game), or because their presence introduces the threat of becoming infected?

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Do you object to the Plague Hearts from a narrative standpoint (in that they have zero continuity with--or connection to--the first game), or because their presence introduces the threat of becoming infected?
The "threat" of infection has been inconsequential since my first hour of game-play. As soon as I had the cure, there was no threat.

The plague heart/zombies have no connection to the SoD world that we know. Perhaps if ULs had given us a reason for them, then I might accept them as canon, but for now, they're just a grind for the sake of grinding. And, really, they're just a grind. I don't have any difficulty taking them out,. They just exist to annoy me and that is their sole purpose.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
The "threat" of infection has been inconsequential since my first hour of game-play. As soon as I had the cure, there was no threat.

The plague heart/zombies have no connection to the SoD world that we know. Perhaps if ULs had given us a reason for them, then I might accept them as canon, but for now, they're just a grind for the sake of grinding. And, really, they're just a grind. I don't have any difficulty taking them out,. They just exist to annoy me and that is their sole purpose.
Yeah, I agree, in that Plague Hearts (and Plague Zombies) lack any connection to the first game. If they were even hinted at in 'State of Decay' (say, via a military radio transmission picked up by Lily), I think their actual presence in SoD 2 would've been accepted with little to no resistance. And your comment about the Plague Hearts being merely a "grind for the sake of grinding" hadn't actually occurred to me; but now it's lodged like a splinter in my mind. The inclusion of a contextually barren "plot" element like Plague Hearts seems to imply that UL had no genuinely original game design ideas to implement (or storylines to explore); instead they shoe-horned in a flat, redundant, emotionally unsatisfying player activity that amounts to little more than your typical open-world staple: run around the entire map (or maps) and fetch/collect/destroy . . . whatever. Not much imagination required there.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed by State of Decay's plot (not even slightly). But, regardless, that was the route UL chose. They focused their lens closely on the personal drama; how events affected specific people, in a specific town, at a specific moment in time. And in so doing, set several distinct narrative domino lines into motion, and then utterly failed (in the second game) to follow where those lines terminated. That alone is nothing less than a hard slap across the face of all fans; but its sting is especially painful for those who were deeply invested in the main heroes and events and lore of the first game.

That all said, I stick by my assertion that UL can still bounce back from the missteps and straight-up abject failures (in the form of bugs and absent continuity) SoD 2 has thus far exhibited. But that bounce-back is largely contingent on how closely UL is listening to those fans who put them on the map . . . that is, the real map, aka success. The only one that counts.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
There is no narrative as to a good story in State of Decay 2, your implied to take out plague hearts and do legacy missions for survivors and the community. It's all just set missions to do, nothing else but deal with everyone's constant annoying missions and fates that are out of your reach, resources are not finite, zeds are easy, combat is simple and with skill sets in mind, you will have no issues. You can either choose to do a short run or do a long run. The long run will give you ease of going through the game with lot's of firepower and useful survivors while going on a short run will grant you a challenge and longs days of trying to survive. It's all on how you play that matters yet it seems as if everyone has the same story and issues. There's not much to do as it's a linear open-world.

Niggle: The game got boring, I would like to get back into it, but I find myself playing Dead Rising 2 or Dead Island Riptide, both challenging but fun in a way you can manage it.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie

I can't find it now but I remember reading about the genesis of plague hearts. The story was that UL decided there was a play gap in the mid-game and started brainstorming how to fill it, somebody came up with hearts. They were pretty happy with how this notion popped up and they got it developed and designed and so forth. I think I remember that the originator was someone you wouldn't think of for game play design, like a graphics guy or the accountant or somebody.

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie

I'm still hoping for a mod that removes them.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
The kicker...the code exists for the tutorial, so they know how to implement it, they just choose not to or it didn't occur to them that people might want to have the choice.
They could set it up so you pick you 3 survivors then start the game at the vehicle from the tutorial then pick your map from there

Probably 9 times out of 10 I get Drucker county
Having completed three legacies and restarted somewhere north of ten times, I've seen Drucker far more often than the other two maps. The valley has only come up twice and cascade hills once. I agree with those stating the RNG seems off in this.
t would be so less obnoxious and time-consuming if I could dress my survivors the way I fucking want to!!!!!
I too would love to take my community shopping. :cool:
instead they shoe-horned in a flat, redundant, emotionally unsatisfying player activity that amounts to little more than your typical open-world staple: run around the entire map (or maps) and fetch/collect/destroy . . . whatever. Not much imagination required there.
An unfortunate hallmark of the Ubisoft design approach to open world games. It was somewhat disheartening to see UL treading that path. At least Ubisoft games tend towards story driving the experience, as weak or unsatisfying as those stories can be.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
That group of glory-whore dipshits that has 3 CLEO heavy snipers equipped— but constantly bitching about ammo shortages... :rolleyes:

Uhhhhh... you do know that gun just wastes ammo on anything short of juggernauts, right?
Not when people play with me...

I ruined the ammo cap. I made it my b#}*h
Cleo smg + my trigger finger = constant stream of Cleo.

The Stormbringer + trigger finger = wall of 7.62 lead.

Cleo heavy blast = tree line sniping.

Niggle — The audio levels on the map/community/base screen change; so when you hear a zed approaching, it sounds much further away than it really is. That's a very basic UXD violation. To think that someone at UL thought it a good idea— after thousands of zed encounters, to undermine cognitive recognition of sound on the menus... bad.... bad bad...

Tethering niggle — If you hop in a car right as you're being tethered, there's a good chance you'll teleport with the vehicle (as intended), but find your camera locked inside the vehicle, with the controls frozen (not planned?), and have to leave the game to fix it. :rolleyes:

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
Tethering niggle — If you hop in a car right as you're being tethered, there's a good chance you'll teleport with the vehicle (as intended), but find your camera locked inside the vehicle, with the controls frozen (not planned?), and have to leave the game to fix it. :rolleyes:
That's not related to tethering. The happened to me when I hopped in a car with the host. I was in the drivers rear seat. When I switched up to the passenger front the camera went loopy. The camera appeared to be stuck on the roof of the truck. I could move the camera and perform the door attack but couldn't do anything else. Had to exit out of the game,

phil

Missing Survivor
This has just happened to me, AGAIN. The main character is out scouting, I enlist a follower. With me so far! On the way back to base a message lets me know that the follower has started a fight at base.

I have very little programming experience but, maybe something on the lines of:

If character or follower = out then no-fight
if home-base = 1 or 0 then no-fight

Last edited: