The Dog Thread

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie

Happy Easter everyone!

@SwissArmyKnife :
Is there any way to make uploading images more mobile phone friendly? I've been trying to use the little insert link thingy on my phone, but it has issues working properly (namely, when I click on the insert image icon, the little window that pops up closes just as fast as it opens).

BobCrees

Alamo Family
So . . . time to start thinking. Round about October, my girlfriend is going to gift me $2k, with the intention that I get an Otter Hound. Which means I have to start making those arrangements fairly soon. The question is, should I or shouldn't I?
Otter Hounds are nice looking animals

1523315818021.png

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Great Democratic People's Republic of Illinois
Otter Hounds are nice looking animals

View attachment 969
They are among the sweetest, gentlest, most-goodnatured dogs around. Unless you try to do something to their humans, and then they tend to turn into Linda Blair from The Exorcist . . .

Seriously, the one that owned me when I was growing up used to carry me around by my diapers when I was a toddler. And my dear Roo, the last one who owned me, couldn't stand to be more than three feet from me and was, for a hound, incredibly adept at reading my moods.

odf14

Alamo Rookie
My last dog for a Deer Hound called Tess, she was a rescue dog. Prior to her I had always had Black Labradors. Tess was by far the most loving.

View attachment 970

She was the same colour as the Hound lying on her back and used to sometimes sleep like that as well :)
I'm really conflicted about this. On the one hand, I really adore Otter Hounds, but having to put Roo to sleep after her chemo failed was a wrenching experience . . .

odf14

Alamo Rookie
Yes I know that feeling only too well. Tess had to be put to sleep due to cancer of the eye :(
To be frank, it still haunts me, and it's coming up on two years . . .

Eh, I'll probably do it. My girlfriend calls me a dog magnet. When I was in Washington last month visiting, her Australian cattle dog, who doesn't like anybody but her, took one look at me, jumped into my lap, and curled up for a snooze. One evening we went for a walk around her neighbourhood, and every dog out for its walk ran right over to me for a scratch . . .

But Otter Hounds seem especially attracted to me. Years ago, at an AKC show in Chicago, I was literally knocked on my back by a pack of six Otter Hounds so they could lick me about the head and shoulders . . . I don't know. If I do, I just hope the dog outlasts me.

XzerothreeX

Rescued Ally
To be frank, it still haunts me, and it's coming up on two years . . .

Eh, I'll probably do it. My girlfriend calls me a dog magnet. When I was in Washington last month visiting, her Australian cattle dog, who doesn't like anybody but her, took one look at me, jumped into my lap, and curled up for a snooze. One evening we went for a walk around her neighbourhood, and every dog out for its walk ran right over to me for a scratch . . .

But Otter Hounds seem especially attracted to me. Years ago, at an AKC show in Chicago, I was literally knocked on my back by a pack of six Otter Hounds so they could lick me about the head and shoulders . . . I don't know. If I do, I just hope the dog outlasts me.
Do it, sir. Your life, and unless I read you all wrong, the prospective pup's life will be improved greatly. You strike me as someone who might spoil a pup rotten.