The Alamo: Survivor Stories

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I posted about this on my profile, but this was something I was thinking about while working through my HTML5, PHP, MariaDB, NodeJS classes this week (instead of writing on my other project...).

A text-based zombie survival simulation (mmo)rpg akin to Zapoco, with a bit less focus on energy systems and paying to get ahead faster. On that point, I looked at Zapoco and Land of Nevard for some inspiration on building out the UI.

This is the basic mock-up (which I ended up hard-coding in the values while setting up CSS) that ended up consuming the last 8 hours of my life. Again...oops. Just noticed I missed putting "Enclaves" on the left side menu there... so add that in there in your mind!

Also, my aesthetic taste is...pretty damn bad so the colors are definitely placeholder.

1542186972393.png

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
@QuarantineRoad @Fabian907 @DumplingBadger @Just Too, tagged since you posted/showed interest.

I'm still designing the gameplay itself, but the basics rolling around in my head are...
  • Bags of salt are your bartering currency and required for food preservation
  • Level is a simplified view of your current stats
  • Trainable Stats would consist of:
    • Health - Temporarily raised with armor and painkillers
    • Stamina - Trainable at Gym and by scavenging
    • Stealth - Trainable by scavenging or finding Shark Hoodie guy
    • Accuracy - Trainable at the shooting range and by fighting enemies
    • Fighting - Trainable at Gym and by fighting enemies
    • Knowledge - Trainable at Library and discussions with Doc Ritter
  • Hunger/Thirst: Running water will be available for the first 30 days. Food can be traded for at The Alamo or found through scavenging.
  • Item Types:
    • Melee weapons
    • Ranged weapons
    • Armor
    • Clothes
    • Food (Twinkies!)
    • Drinks (Nicole's patent pending GTFO Juice)
    • Misc Items - lockpicks, NVGs, plastic containers, backpacks
  • Sleep anywhere! - Recovers health and stamina at 2x rate (normal rate is 1 HP/5 mins, 1 ST/5 mins); better facilities for sleep provide protection against attacks and faster rates (up to 3.5x).
    • Sleep in a tent or house while scavenging and risk being attacked!
    • Sleep at The Alamo for protection against attacks but no bonus recovery
    • Sleep at enclave for protection against attacks for bonus recovery, upgrade facilities to get better rates
  • Facilities owned by enclaves can be used to empower your character
  • Character death is permanent/semi-permanent
  • Enclave raiding (PvP) - automated defenders
  • Scavenging - travel to and from various buildings
  • Bounties and bounty rewards - see enemy types
  • Enemy types:
    • Regulars: Crawlers, fast and slow zombies
    • Zombie Hordes - Ranging from Soloable (3-6) to Enclave Required (30+)
    • SWAT zombies: Leaders among the early infected, they covered themselves in the guard’s armor before succumbing to their injuries. Their bodies are weak and decomposed but thinly armored. Bounty reward candidate
    • Feral: A rare side effect of the mentally ill becoming infected, they tore out their eyes in a blind rage and became a highly aggressive deviation that relies on sound and is known to actively hunt human prey. Bounty reward candidate
    • Goon (a sub-species of the juggernauts): In early experiments to combat the disease, the infected were given steroids as a complement to other drugs. A rare side effect of the steroids caused enhanced strength and muscle explosion in the infected. Bounty reward candidate.
    • Skin Puppets (human enemy): It is still unknown if these humans are infected or simply madmen given free reign. Dressed in the human skin of their victims, they roam in small hunting parties. Whether they are driven by a hunger for human flesh or the adrenaline rush of the hunt is still unknown. Through smell or sight, they can blend in with the zeds seamlessly and will not draw their attention. Bounty reward candidate

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Yeah, I got the salt idea from the Romans and because of salted meats from Oregon Trail and the like.

I was also trying to think of one that would be found easily in homes at the beginning of the apocalypse.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
This thread makes me realize how much I want an SoD MUD (and, after some thought, how well it would translate to MUD).
That strikes me as really funny (haha/weird) because I started making one back in February and got stuck trying to write some of the systems from scratch. My hordes were entirely made of single mobs as well so you'd get things like this in the game.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
That strikes me as really funny (haha/weird) because I started making one back in February and got stuck trying to write some of the systems from scratch. My hordes were entirely made of single mobs as well so you'd get things like this in the game.

Yeah, no. I already figured that a horde would be a singular mob. It would take some coding to add the flavor of individual zombies being killed with each attack, but trying to have a horde of individual mobs would be nightmarish and frankly spammish.

I've worked with Diku/Merc/ROM hybrids and really loved building. Let me know if you want to tinker around with some stuff.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Yeah, no. I already figured that a horde would be a singular mob. It would take some coding to add the flavor of individual zombies being killed with each attack, but trying to have a horde of individual mobs would be nightmarish and frankly spammish.

I've worked with Diku/Merc/ROM hybrids and really loved building. Let me know if you want to tinker around with some stuff.
I had single mob hordes as well later on, just couldn't find another screenshot. That particular one was bad RNG, since the zombies were given free roam to move around as they wanted. I do like seeing them piled up together too, but generally no more than 8 at once since players could form parties and take them out in groups.

RanvierMUD is what I was building it out in because I didn't need to rewrite entire sections of fantasy-themed areas, races, etc to build it out. I haven't updated yet to the newest build of it, which added a lot more features. I had 307 unique rooms built out, 4 areas, 125 items and the set of enemy types from above. Even wrote a script to build out rooms using an Excel spreadsheet and Powershell...I burned out due to not knowing NodeJS well enough to rewrite what I wanted. Taking classes (through Udemy and other online courses) for CSS/Javascript/NodeJS to expand Many Masks of Joy (Project Codename: The Artist), this game and eventually the MUD release.