Telltale Games is shutting down.

I won season 1 on steamgifts and enjoyed the story, but as soon as I realized none of the choices really mattered I just shrugged and said "Ok, not going to pay $15 for an interactive short story." I did end up buying 400 days and season 2 at 75% off on steam, but regretted it as neither story was compelling in the slightest, and many parts just made me say "Are you kidding me?"

I really don't think it was worth the money even at 75% off. Even if someone else does finish the story I'll probably just youtube it.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member

Julia Faye

Rescued Ally
I actually really enjoyed the stories in Telltale's games. One of my favorites is Tales from the Borderlands and this is from a girl who despises the Borderlands franchise. I knew nothing of that world because first person loot n' shoot games are boring as hell for me. But somehow they wrote a very engaging and interesting story in a world I had no interest in. Same thing with the Game of Thrones episodes. I never watched the show and had no knowledge of the characters going in to it, but I thoroughly enjoyed that one as well.

Once I accepted that they were essentially lieing on the loading screens that "your choices matter" I could enjoy them for what they were, which was an interactive on the rails story rather than an as advertised choose your own adventure game. But I do think they used the same old formula 1 too many times and the games were becoming predictable. I've heard that the Batman games actually did have some choices matter but I never played those ones. The Walking Dead is a universe I love so I gave the shitty season 2 a pass. New Frontier was a nice change of pace and quite honestly I find the final season's 2 episodes really engaging and interesting. Sure my choices still don't matter but like I said, I know I'm playing a pre written story with a pre written outcome and am just enjoying the ride.

ExNihilo

Missing Survivor
If they had choices that mattered, then they probably would have been better off. Would have been more engaging for purchasers. They would get more of a personalized story.
Choices mattering would have been great but I think the consensus on the reason TellTale failed is that they were just putting out too many games of the same type? So even with diverging stories they still would have flooded their niche market.
Assassin's Creed was given a cooldown and while I don't play them anymore the break definitely served the franchise well going by recent opinions.

Choices mattering would have been great but I think the consensus on the reason TellTale failed is that they were just putting out too many games of the same type? So even with diverging stories they still would have flooded their niche market.
Assassin's Creed was given a cooldown and while I don't play them anymore the break definitely served the franchise well going by recent opinions.
I think it's more that their "type" of games was a story that falsely claimed to be choice driven when it really wasn't. If they played like choose your own adventure books people would be all over that, but they don't even though they claim to which is the main reason so many just youtube it and watch the story instead of buying the games.

The only choice I've seen that really has a significant impact is
whether you shoot Kenny or not toward the end of season 2
but even that only changes who the ending is with. Of course, I haven't played anything aside from S1, S2, and 400 days so I can't say for sure about new frontier or the other games.

Liamypoo

Rescued Ally
The only thing I truly enjoyed was my original TWD season 1 playthrough. This was before we all realised choices made zero difference to the outcome but it wasn't a bad thing. It was an amazing story, amazing characters and an emotional ride. The final scene to this day still makes me teary eyed, the performances from both actors is something to behold. I loved Lee as a protgaonist but he suffered from Telltaleitis. If you chose the non nice options and played Lee like an ass, the writing massively fell apart and still fell into the same story territory. They clearly had Lee written in their heads as a certain kind of character, which isn't a bad thing. I loved him.