Telltale Games is shutting down.

Liamypoo

Rescued Ally
Reading further it seems the employees were laid off without severance pay, 30 minutes to clear their desk and thrown into the dirt. Which is a shitty situation that makes me glad the company was shut down.

After the appalling quality of "games" they put out lately it was clearly going to happen. When you base games around stories that aren't actually changed in any drastic way but claim to be, they become a target for "I'll just watch it on Youtube" which translates to no sales. That and their quality clearly dropped when people realised the formula ever game follows after everyone enjoyed TWD Season 1.

After the appalling quality of "games" they put out lately it was clearly going to happen.
Like many I first heard of Telltale during the build up to season one of the Walking Dead game. However, lost interest very early in season two, in fact I only ever played the first episode. For me the writing was on the wall at that time. The first episode felt both rushed and bloated and I could never bring myself to play past it.
When you base games around stories that aren't actually changed in any drastic way but claim to be, they become a target for "I'll just watch it on Youtube" which translates to no sales.
This very likely had a huge material impact on their bottom line and seems to have disproportionately affected them over other franchises. A key component of this may have been Telltale's refusal to innovate or change their formula in any significant way.

Poor Clem isn't going to get to finish her story :cry:
That's what fan fiction is for! In fact, I wrote a small - if dark - finale to that can be read over on fanfiction.net some years ago.

So are they going to refund those who bought a "unfinished" game?
Unlikely. Those sort of deals are very much in the buyer beware category.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
An interesting perspective. He makes some really good points here.
Lol but we knew after the first season that the choices didn't matter .....but oddly that didn't matter. The story was amazing....sadly to me the writing got worse in season two every thing felt rushed and half finished to me. but I plan to follow Clem to the bitter end and hope some other company will pick it up

After playing through the original Walking Dead several times, I kept looking at the new seasons, along with Wolf Among Us, GoT, and Borderlands. Yet, I never picked them up. 400 Days was the only other I played.

That said, I enjoyed the stories too, and if they'd been produced as a CG film, or mini-series for YouTube, Netflix, etc., I'd have watched every one of them. A stance I've had on many linear, cutscene heavy titles beyond Telltale. As a game, what would have brought me back is what everyone wanted. Choices that matter in the long run.

As far as the shutdown, I keep hearing of sections of the game industry becoming heartless machines. From what I've gathered from this thread, it's that Telltale's employees were screwed either way. Any creative descent from the plan was stifled, while the rest were forced to churn out as much, as fast, as possible. Then, in the end, they are the ones blamed for lack of innovation.

I'll never understand the mindset of chopping down the tree for the fruit. You have a big pile of fruit; some ripe, some not. And after a couple of weeks, what's left will rot, and now the tree's dead. They won't even plant a seed. They'll just find another tree to chop down until there's nothing left. It pains me to think of all the wonderful talent burned out before their prime.

Aside, I agree with someone stepping in to finish the series. Regardless of whatever conflicts or losses there may have been, they created a story/characters that mean a lot to a lot of fans, and it's sad to shut them down before finishing their final season. Not after all this time. And as with any creative work, there's always a ton of people putting their hearts into it, even under a bad overseer.

Last edited: