Survivalist: Invisible Strain (AKA Survivalist 2)

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
It's already almost everything we wanted in State of Decay 2 and then some, and it's only an early alpha. The setting is 10 years after the zombpocalpyse and the world looks like it. Buildings are run down, vehicles are rusted wrecks that only exist to be looted (though most are empty or have very little in them), people are more desperate, and there's more of a "what's in it for me?" vibe. There are bands of looters everywhere, but they fight with eachother just as often as they prey on other settlements and will often back down if you stand up to them. Your early recruits will most likely be looters as they are easy to impress by standing up to members of their group who try to threaten you, and beating them in fisticuffs, which can also win you some money. You can also give people otherwise useless items as gifts like chocolate, novels, and bottles of wine to make them more friendly.

Character customization. You make your own "main character", characters display what they're wearing, and you'll need to change clothes as the seasons change. In summer you'll need to wear lighter clothing or risk heat exhaustion, in winter you'll need to wear heavier clothing (and stay dry!) or risk hypothermia. There are various forms of armor to protect against weapons used by other Humans, and they also display on character models. It suffers from the same thing SoD2 does though, the clothing is too neat and new looking, there's no ragged, patchwork, or "homemade" looking clothes but hopefully that changes in future builds.

Different characters are good at different things. SoD did this by limiting how fast some characters gained exp in certain skills based on their traits, and in some cases by limiting the max skill level, but S2 goes one step further by randomizing the max skill level for different skills for practically everyone, the only character guaranteed to be able to get to max level in any skill is the character you create. Some people are good all around, some are specialized in 1 or 2 things, and some just suck at everything and are only good for gathering resources.

Fully customizable base building. You can set up a base anywhere, you can even wipe out another group and take over their base if you want, or take over buldings in an abandoned town after clearing the area of the infected. You can have more than one base if that's what you want to do. You can build as many watchtowers as you want and assign guards to them, once you find some concrete you can even build pillboxes. You can build your base as big as you want, but you will need to be able to defend it or looters will simply move to an undefended part of the wall and break in. All defensive walls are topped with barbed wire though, so there's no climbing over them. They need to either be burned if they're wood, or destroyed if wire fences. It works the same way if you're attacking another group's base, find a weak point and exploit it. If you find that you like their base you can just ambush them one by one as they leave to get water or scavenge, or lure them out and kill them. Once you wipe out another group you will be able to claim the individual buildings in their base as your own if you choose to, or even demolish them for materials.

You can recruit as many people as you want, but you will also need to be able to feed them. You can assign people to specific roles (farmer, scavenger, builder, guard, lumberjack, miner, cook, etc.) and they will do that instead of wandering off on their own. You can also have them follow you and you could even have your entire group tagging along. It's not advisable though, as that will leave your base undefended incase of attack and nobody to tend to the crops. Morale is a factor and if it gets too low for someone they will stop taking orders and may even decide to leave. Morale decreases by forcibly recruiting them (hey, you aren't going to be too happy with someone if they recruit you by saying "work for me or die"), not having enough food/water/outhouses/sleeping room, or by someone they were friendly with dying.

Resources are quite a bit different than SoD. You have food, it shows your current crop production vs. consumption and how much you will need to store to last through the winter when you can't grow anything. You can also hunt animals to supplement crops (currently only Rabbits), and assign someone to cook various meals with different vegetables and meat gained by hunting that are more efficient at filling you up than the raw ingredients. Water is needed but isn't an actual resource because of how abundant it is. Build a base near a river, or just build a well and not have to worry about people having to leave the base to fill their drinking containers or watering cans. Wood and stone can be harvested but other materials like fence wire, concrete, and metal sheeting can only be scavenged from abandoned towns, and once the supply is exhausted that's it.

Guns exist but are rare, and ammo even more rare. You can eventually craft ammo though it is an involved process and requires hard to find resources like saltpeter and lead, you will eventually be able to produce saltpeter but lead will remain hard to find. Bows are relatively common and easy to craft, as are arrows. Archery is a useful skill not only for hunting but also for defense, as the bandits will recognize someone with a ranged weapon and will run away if they lack one of their own. Arrows can often be reclaimed, but not always, and it seems like there's a higher chance of recovering them the higher your archery skill is.

Molotovs are a great weapon not only against hostile settlements but for "stealth bombing" gangs of looters. However, bottles of vodka are hard to find and expensive to trade for, but once you get someone with a high enough construction skill you can build a still and make your own booze to solve that problem. Before that you will have to decide what is more valuable, bandages or molotovs as both require vodka to make.

Stealth is great. It takes into account things like weather, wind direction (animals and infected can smell you if you are upwind), cover, and whether something is facing you or not. It doesn't matter how high your stealth skill is, if you're out in the open and someone/something is looking in your direction they're going to spot you unless you are able to quickly duck behind something. You can do stealth kills with a hunting knife, but if you take out one of a group the rest will immediately notice. You can shoot from stealth with a bow without alerting anyone to your exact location, they will move toward where the arrow came from and investigate but if you are able to sneak away through cover they won't find you.

Your base will occasionally be attacked by groups of infected (low threat unless you have literally no ranged weapons and are forced to melee them) or gangs of looters. The former are an easy way to level archery and the latter can be a valuable source of items as they sometimes carry high quality clothing like camo gear (gives bonus to stealth), body armor, helmets, eyewear, and occasionally even guns, and if you can kill them before they use all their ammo you can take it from the bodies. They also sometimes carry molotovs and will throw them at wooden walls or any wooden structures that are in range.

Gold is the currency. It has weight, so you can't carry it all around and will need to store it in one of your buildings. You take some out when you find a trader that has something you want. Everyone accepts it, but to get good prices you'll have to get friendly with people in the settlement the trader you want to do business is from. Alternately, if it's a looter camp or a camp you don't care about you could get real friendly with the main trader then recruit them, they will join you with everything in their inventory. This will probably piss off the rest of the group and they won't like you much after that, and may even become hostile. The twist is reputation is individual, so they will only dislike the person who did the recruiting for stealing their people, and the person that was recruited for deserting them. If you talk to them with someone else from your group they will be neutral unless there were interactions with them as well. it's also worth noting that if you recruit someone from a group and switch to them it will be much easier to recruit anyone in that group they are friends with.

Last edited:

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
The price point is going to be $4.99 for early access when the alpha testing ends. I don't know about anyone else but that's going to be a day 1 purchase for me, even if the game ends up not being as good as the first one (if the early alpha build it's in is any indication it's most likely going to be a lot better) it'd still be worth it.

Cejao

Alamo Rookie
Cough, sounds like old H1Z1, an open world multiplayer zombie survival.
Was an early access title through steam, spent 1000 hours over 2 years there. Dev team made a BattleRoyale (BR) mode "King of the Kill" that later was given the H1Z1 name while the OG survival game was renamed to Just Survive. (Which the game clearly didn't) It got shut down last October, all my work and money wasted.

Fortnite did the same thing, popular pve co-op story mode with zombies adds a BR mode in Update1.6.
BR ruins the original game by shifting all the dev focus to it. The story mode was supposed to be free to play in 2018.
Its 2019 now and the story mode is still in early access via buy-in, story mode was also renamed Save The World so the Fortnite name could be slapped on their BR mode. Its Bullshit, early access games that feature solo/co-op play get ruined by offshoot BR modes.

Ever since I have been against trying early access games, with exception to Star Citizen.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Cough, sounds like old H1Z1, an open world multiplayer zombie survival.
Was an early access title through steam, spent 1000 hours over 2 years there. Dev team made a BattleRoyale (BR) mode "King of the Kill" that later was given the H1Z1 name while the OG survival game was renamed to Just Survive. (Which the game clearly didn't) It got shut down last October, all my work and money wasted.

Fortnite did the same thing, popular pve co-op story mode with zombies adds a BR mode in Update1.6.
BR ruins the original game by shifting all the dev focus to it. The story mode was supposed to be free to play in 2018.
Its 2019 now and the story mode is still in early access via buy-in, story mode was also renamed Save The World so the Fortnite name could be slapped on their BR mode. Its Bullshit, early access games that feature solo/co-op play usually get ruined by offshoot BR modes.
It's nothing like H1Z1, and he has another successful game to his name before this. I don't do early access either unless it's a dev I'm familiar with that have proven themselves by having successfully released games in the past. I've seen too many EA horror stories, and been burned in the past myself (fucking Kinetic Void) so I do not back anything unless I have good reason to do it.

There's no BR mode to worry about, and the multiplayer is going to be full co-op. There's going to be a story mode but right now he's just focusing on getting the gameplay mechanics themselves working right and tuning them as it goes along for balance.

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
Something I noticed in one of the latest builds is water freezes in winter. Frozen streams can be walked over instead of through making it harder for clothing to get damp, meaning hypothermia isn't a constant thing. It's still deadly, but isn't something you constantly have to fight with every time you cross a river or stream in cold weather.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
This would be great for the sub-forum about Survivalist 2 Do you want it moved there?

On a different note, do the frozen streams/rivers have a weight limit? Can I drag things across them without issue?

SomeRandomGuy

Zed Hunter
This would be great for the sub-forum about Survivalist 2 Do you want it moved there?

On a different note, do the frozen streams/rivers have a weight limit? Can I drag things across them without issue?
Oh yeah, the subforum probably would be a better spot for this thread.

I'm not sure if there's a weight limit or not, if there is I haven't found it. But you can bust through the ice to drink and fill containers with water.