State Of Decay 3

e5futter

Rescued Ally
I am not sure how I want to respond to this news.

I thought we got the message from UL that it would be more DLC's for SoD2 - growing the world etc. However, I do acknowledge that since that statement UL has been sold out to MS.

But is this Booty guy from MS now saying that UL's sole next job is to build a MMO and that alone?

I do truly feel sorry for the likes of Brant :(
They (Microsoft) never stated in the interview that UL stopped support for SoD2. They were pretty much just confirming that the next title that'll come out eventually is the MMO.

They also haven't stated if it's only pvp or not since the game is probably just in talks right now. I'm guessing PVE because SoD's main threat has always been Zed's, UL has stated this themselves multiple times. Even in 2 the humans were a very rare threat until the end of some legacy's.

I may sound positively biased for an MMO zed game but the last one I ever played was WarZ and that left a horrible taste. I'm not going to judge it just yet because we have literally no info besides it's their next title.

online with pvp....

Dayz
Fallout 76
State of Decay 3

Man I keep scratching games from my list....

Last edited:

IguanaC64

Missing Survivor
Even without PVP other players can exploit game mechanics (or straight up cheat with third party utilities) to make your life miserable. I'm not interested. I prefer to die by my own choices than rather at the whim who's just wrecking people's stuff/wasting people's time for the lulz. I've played enough PVP games that I know I'm not interested.

I just hate seeing them waste dev time on YAMMO (Yet Another MMO) when I could be playing a real SoD. Defiance did an ok job making you feel like you were part of the story with cut-scenes that advanced the games metastory...but then you'd see 100 people who were doing the exact same quest you're working on and it breaks the immersion. Similarly, I'll be skipping Fallout 76 (even though I feel like I'm one of the rare people who loved playing FO1, FO2, FO3, FONV, and FO4).

Last edited:

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I'd hope/imagine that a State of Decay 3 MMO would actually be closer to something like The Division or Destiny with hubs of survivor NPCs that request help and maybe you build them into something better OR a multiplayer-only version of Project Zomboid where everyone (not in a group to start) starts randomly on the map and your first goal is just survival. Then building your community through gathering people with some factions that already exist and will either help or hunt you, depending on how they view you initially and what actions you take upon meeting them.

The factions themselves would need to be large enough that players would be unable to chip away at them easily to take over but small enough to fit the premise of thriving in a zombie world where laws don't exist to protect the weak. So preferably around 75 NPCs for Red Talon encampments with sniper guards and maybe 20 NPCs for The Network and both grow/diminish as the players complete quests or aid them in finding survivors.

PvP could be limited to the Fighting areas we already have in the game, gotta train people to use that knife takedown on zombies.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally
I don't know how I feel about an MMO zombie game.Would we still get permadeath?
Ghost walking is not going to cut it in SoD. It's permadeath or long-term crippling. Either way, my hopes for SoD2 DLC (and I mean real stuff... not a bunch of skin jobs. Think Lifeline.) just diminished. They're already making a push for SoD 3 and SoD 2 was released not long ago. Sheez. I still miss Undead Nicole.

MatchesMalone

Rescued Ally
Ghost walking is not going to cut it in SoD. It's permadeath or long-term crippling. Either way, my hopes for SoD2 DLC (and I mean real stuff... not a bunch of skin jobs. Think Lifeline.) just diminished. They're already making a push for SoD 3 and SoD 2 was released not long ago. Sheez. I still miss Undead Nicole.
They just announced intentions to make State of Decay 3, they haven't stated that the whole studio is working only on that game. Especially after a release there's some downtime to relax, address bugs, and collect one's bearings.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
If they were to do a MMO approach, they would have to consider a Hostility Meter, kinda like GTA V and it's hostility meter, the more you kill the other players, the more red you become.
But make it so it stays with you, every server you join, you could potentially have a "Warning, (USERNAME, USERNAME, USERNAME) are likely to be hostile, we aware of your surroundings"

True Savage

Exiled Survivor
I hope sod 3 is an actual sequel. sod 1 ended at a cliff hanger with lilly being like "marcus what do we do" and he is like "we go to work" Like wtf you mean? Work to cleaning out all the broken cars to leave? Work to making trumbull county a safe place to live. That's my preferred answer. Also I want to see more freak zombies. My dad kept saying there would be glider zombies in the second one but yeah I can tell that didn't happen. I wanna see freaks based off chargers, jockeys and maybe smokers or spitters from l4d. Again never played it but they seem to like basing their zeds off those and I don't blame them.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
My dad kept saying there would be glider zombies in the second one but yeah I can tell that didn't happen.
Your dad was most likely misinformed. Those glider freaks were concept freaks for the first game but they never made the cut.

I wanna see freaks based off chargers, jockeys and maybe smokers or spitters from l4d. Again never played it but they seem to like basing their zeds off those and I don't blame them.
Smokers wouldn’t work in SoD because the only way To Escape the smokers tongue is by another survivor shooting it. SoD isn’t always played in Co-Op or with NPCs watching the player’s back. Jockey’s fall into the same category too. They could add a button mash solo escape for freaks like that. As for Spitters, those wouldn’t work in a 3rd person perspective game. Spitters spit in the player’s face which blinds them temporarily making it hard to see. In SoD we don’t see through the survivors eyes. Honestly though, they have 5 freaks already. (6 if the armoured zed is still considered a freak). Too much freak types and this game goes from being a ZA to a game about monsters.

True Savage

Exiled Survivor
Your dad was most likely misinformed. Those glider freaks were concept freaks for the first game but they never made the cut.

Smokers wouldn’t work in SoD because the only way To Escape the smokers tongue is by another survivor shooting it. SoD isn’t always played in Co-Op or with NPCs watching the player’s back. Jockey’s fall into the same category too. They could add a button mash solo escape for freaks like that. As for Spitters, those wouldn’t work in a 3rd person perspective game. Spitters spit in the player’s face which blinds them temporarily making it hard to see. In SoD we don’t see through the survivors eyes. Honestly though, they have 5 freaks already. (6 if the armoured zed is still considered a freak). Too much freak types and this game goes from being a ZA to a game about monsters.
I hadnt really thought about that with the smokers. But I was thinking for spitters they don't blind characters but just cause damage to them with the acid and maybe have the survivors react to it the same way they do with fire.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Rather than new freaks (by that I mean, carbon copy zombies like ferals, juggernauts, screamers), I would rather see more variety in our current zombies and have them evolve in a very Romero way.
  • Firefighters whose helmet blocks low caliber shots from behind
  • SWAT zombies whose helmet blocks most calibers AND stealth executions
  • Zombies dragging a heavy weapon (i.e. a sledgehammer) and swinging it randomly in melee combat
  • Army zombies that congregate together as a "squad" with their own custom AI, similar to blood plague hearts and their zombies
  • Cannibal creeps - zombie-like humans that blend in with zombies and actively hunt the player from an enclave base, rather than hostile enclaves that stand around waiting to be shot
  • Immobile (weight) zombies that cannot move, but whose stench and size make it impossible to melee
  • Zombie wildlife: bears or wolves
  • Construction zombies with hard hats that deflect blunt melee attacks
For L4D zombies, we got their version of a Jockey with the Feral in State of Decay 1. If he grabs you, then you have to push him off or he just continues killing you. Smokers are a bit like Screamers, they take you out of the gameplay for a brief time and always accompany other zombies. Spitter is more or less comparable to the Bloater, not blinded but disease hampers you for awhile.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally

I totally agree. You nailed it. I like the ideas presented by True Savage, but again... it's not about the monsters. It's the apocalyptic environment you're in. You're never truly safe because you're the prey. You're no longer the apex predator on the planet and no one in immortal. You can still achieve victory, but it will be at the expense of resources, companions and other survivors.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally
Rather than new freaks (by that I mean, carbon copy zombies like ferals, juggernauts, screamers), I would rather see more variety in our current zombies and have them evolve in a very Romero way.
  • Firefighters whose helmet blocks low caliber shots from behind
  • SWAT zombies whose helmet blocks most calibers AND stealth executions
  • Zombies dragging a heavy weapon (i.e. a sledgehammer) and swinging it randomly in melee combat
  • Army zombies that congregate together as a "squad" with their own custom AI, similar to blood plague hearts and their zombies
  • Cannibal creeps - zombie-like humans that blend in with zombies and actively hunt the player from an enclave base, rather than hostile enclaves that stand around waiting to be shot
  • Immobile (weight) zombies that cannot move, but whose stench and size make it impossible to melee
  • Zombie wildlife: bears or wolves
  • Construction zombies with hard hats that deflect blunt melee attacks
For L4D zombies, we got their version of a Jockey with the Feral in State of Decay 1. If he grabs you, then you have to push him off or he just continues killing you. Smokers are a bit like Screamers, they take you out of the gameplay for a brief time and always accompany other zombies. Spitter is more or less comparable to the Bloater, not blinded but disease hampers you for awhile.
All of this! All of it... now. MOD IT NOW! MOAR MODS!

Great ideas. I love it.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally
From what I read, they stated that there will be a State of Decay 3 (like State of Decay 2, single-player and co-op) and then UL will also be starting on the side work towards an MMO.

That's how I read the news, maybe not from that link, but other articles/interviews I've read.
It sounds good enough for me. Thank you. I feel like SoD 2 is pretty much SoD 1.1 now using the Unreal 4 Engine. I love the game, but I see it for what it is and you know what? It was appropriately priced and it feels good. If UL doesn't go down the cheap road like EA did with BioWare when they switched from their own in-house engine (Dragon Age) and Unreal 3 (Mass Effect) to Frostbite (DICE games), then the foundation for SoD 3 is going to kick ass. I'm optimistic about UL even though I'm pretty much done hoping for most of the AAA industry. For me, right now... I'm rooting for CDPR's CyberPunk 2077 and BioWare's Anthem despite EA being their publisher. Fallout 76... wait and see mode. I'm cautiously optimistic, but let's face it... when has Bethesda ever (EVER!!!) put out a game that didn't need unofficial patches? For me, it's an ideal situation. By the time the unofficial patches come out, the game might be on sale. It's a Fallout game, it's worth experimenting with down the road if you liked the previous three titles. At least that's how I'm going to do it. MatchesMalone, thank you. You would be the mayor of my apocalyptic community. You would do a lot better than the last elected one in Trumball County. Ferals man. Watch for those Ferals.

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
Yet another core SoD element to consider is the survivor community.

How will this component of a SoD-based MMO be implemented? Will community-building even BE a part of SoD 3, or will UL (under the spell of MS's infernal, all-seeing Eye of Mordor) casually toss that aside, too? Will all individual players' manage their own survivor communities (and their own Home Bases) on the same server? If so, will said Home Base mechanic work like the apartment/house/penthouse mechanic in GTA Online? (If so, it sounds pretty fucking lame to me.)

Oh, and here's something else . . . Given the fact that Microsoft (via UL) has openly declared SoD 3 will be an MMO, does that mean we'll finally have the option to change our fucking clothes! (Because right now, that's about the only good thing I see coming out of a SoD MMO.)

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
Maybe rain or snow will finally get added.
Please no fog banks though, ferals & juggies are tough enough without camo hiding them.
It's a dark foggy night, racing back to your base the gas gauge in your car hits WALK! "It's only 600 meters" you tell yourself and laugh as you begin off in a slow jog. Then roar cuts through the air like a knife :eek:....you drop to a crouch and the fog just seem to get thicker as you sneak forward. As you curse the devs from UL....you pull up short of a belly jiggle in the fog and think "Why did leave base without a spare can of gas" he roars and takes a swipe at you....then that feral you slipped by roars . :whistle: I would love that gives you a reason to stay close to home and loot.

If they add rain and snow I don't want it to be just for show. It needs to effect our survivors be it a summer shower or a near freezing rain in early winter.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
A wise man, whose name a dumb man can’t remember, once said that companies don’t listen to customers they listen to their competition. Everyone has a looter shooter except Microsoft. If you made base choices about how to build the civilian areas in The Division 2, and shot zombies instead of racists, you’d have a good part of what I imagine a SoD 3 would be like.

Edit - Sorry... I’ve been gone awhile and just noticed how big a necro this is.