Guide State of Decay 2 Skills

QMJS

Zed Hunter
A couple of additional notes about the skills:

Every character has the four primary skills, Cardio, Fighting, Shooting, and Wits. At the maximum level you get a choice of specializations out of four possible for each primary skill. The specific choices available depend on character traits. A character can have up to all four available to choose with specific combinations of traits. After specialization, there is a final ability that becomes available when the specialization reaches maximum level.

There are ten special attack abilities. Depending upon specializations, a character could have several available.
Cardio-Acrobatics: Flying Strike
Cardio-Powerhouse: Drop Kick
Fighting-Close Combat: Shove and at maximum level execute standing enemies with a knife.
Fighting-Endurance: Slam
Fighting-Swordplay: Leg Sweep and at maximum level execute standing enemies with a blade.
Fighting-Striking: Grand Slam
Shooting-Gunslinging: Aim Snap
Shooting-Assault: Kick attack unlocked while aiming.

Each character can learn one community skill if they do not have a Quirk trait (see below). They can be learned from skill books. Each has two potential specialties. Having the skill present on any character allows the actions, and using the actions at a base grant experience to the characters with the skill, even if you are not using them at the moment. You don't have to switch characters when using base actions for the characters with the skill to gain experience.

If a character has a Quirk skill it takes the place of the community skill. Some are extremely powerful. A few also give Knowledge that can allow facilities to be built, similar to community skills, but they do not improve. Some affect the base and other characters (Global action speed, influence gains) and others affect only the character (maximum consumable stack).

Acting: Pretending to be other people for fun and profit. Increases standing and influence gains (100% Standing Rewards, 10% Influence Gain).
Animal Facts: How many toes an elephant has, and other vital information. No useful effect.
Bartending: Raising spirits with spirits. Mix drinks more effectively in the Lounge (?).
Business: How to make a profit doing practically anything. Increases influence gains (+10% Influence gained, +35 Influence Per Day). Knowledge of Influence.
Comedy: The art of making people laugh. Increases standing gains and morale (+100% Standing Rewards, +6 Morale).
Design: Figuring out how to make things for humans to use. Increases facility action speed (+50% Global Action Speed). Knowledge of the Arts, Knowledge of Craftsmanship.
Driving: Life is a highway. I want to ride it all night long. Increases efficiency, safety, and stealth while driving (50% vehicle impact reduction, 50% vehicle loudness reduction, 100% fuel efficiency).
Excuses: Getting out of things in style. Increases morale (+10 Morale).
Farting Around: "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -Kurt Vonnegut. Increases morale (?).
Fishing: Turning bodies of water into food through engineering and trickery. Provides additional food (+2 Food Per Day).
Geek trivia: Skrewts, Ainur, Jefferies tubes, and uses of the number 47. Increases morale and experience gains (+6 Morale, +50% Experience Rate). Pop Culture Knowledge.
Hairdressing: Styling hair with a mix of cutlery and chemistry. Increases influence and chemistry knowledge (+10% Influence Gained) Knowledge of Chemistry.
Ikebana: Brightening a space with the careful arrangement of nature. Increases morale and influence (+6 Morale, +10 Influence Per Day). Knowledge of the Arts.
Law: What people used to do about crime and conflict. Increases influence gains (10% Influence Gain) Knowledge of Influence.
Lichenology: The study of lichens. Provides additional meds (?).
Literature: Still important. Our children should know how their ancestors viewed the world. Increases morale and experience gains (+6 Morale +100% Experience Rate). Knowledge of the Arts.
Making Coffee: Giving people a good start to each day. Make coffee more effectively in the Kitchen. Knowledge of Coffee Preparation, Knowledge of Cooking.
Movie Trivia: Box office grosses, Oscar winners, and obscure directors. Increases morale and experience gains (+6 Morale, +50% Experience Rate). Pop Culture Knowledge.
Music: Raising spirits with rhythm and melody. Increases morale, standing, and influence (+6 Morale, 100% Standing Rewards, 25 Influence per day). Knowledge of the Arts.
Painting: Conveying meaning and evoking emotion through color and form. Increases morale and influence (+6 Morale, +25 Influence Per Day). Knowledge of the Arts.
People Skills: The most essential of the "soft" skills. Increases standing and influence gains (100% Standing Rewards, 10% Influence Gained). Knowledge of Influence.
Pinball: Live catches, death saves, and outlane shakes. Increases understanding of shooting and mechanics (+100 Shooting Experience Rate). Knowledge of Mechanics
Poker Face: I want to hold 'em like they do in Texas plays. Increases influence and stamina (+20 Max Stamina, ? influence).
Political Science: The workings of power within government. Increases standing and influence (100% Standing Rewards, 25+ Influence Per Day). Knowledge of Influence.
Scrum Certification: We're going to get so much done. Increases labor and facility action speed (+2 Free Labor, 50% Global Action Speed).
Self-Promotion: The underappreciated art of getting people to look at you. Increases standing gains (100% standing rewards). Knowledge of Influence.
Sewing: Turning cloth and thread into useful things. Custom clothing increases health and stack size (+20 Max Health, +2 Max Consumable Stack). Knowledge of Craftsmanship.
Sexting: There's a right way to do everything. Minor effect on influence (? influence).
Sports Trivia: Stats, jersey numbers, and classic plays. Increases stamina and experience gains (100% Cardio Experience Rate, 100% Fighting Experience Rate, +20 to Stamina). Knowledge of Sports.
Tattoos: Body artistry. Increases influence and medical knowledge (+10 Influence gain). Knowledge of Medicine, Knowledge of the Arts.
TV Trivia: Actors, awards, and episode numbers. Increases morale and experience gains (+6 Morale, +50% Experience Points rate). Pop Culture Knowledge.

Last edited:

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
@QMJS 8 special attack skills. Assault from Shooting gives you Kick while aiming. It cannot be used otherwise.
9 if we're counting Swordplay's execute standing enemies which is a grapple/execute with a similar action speed to stealth kills from behind

It's one of the fastest methods, that I've noticed, to save the random survivors that are under attack since you just execute everyone with grapples. Does not work on human survivors, they will dodge roll and shoot you in the face.

Edit: Forgot that Close Combat skill has the same standing execution move as well, so maybe 10?

QMJS

Zed Hunter
@QMJS 8 special attack skills. Assault from Shooting gives you Kick while aiming. It cannot be used otherwise.
9 if we're counting Swordplay's execute standing enemies which is a grapple/execute with a similar action speed to stealth kills from behind

It's one of the fastest methods, that I've noticed, to save the random survivors that are under attack since you just execute everyone with grapples. Does not work on human survivors, they will dodge roll and shoot you in the face.

Edit: Forgot that Close Combat skill has the same standing execution move as well, so maybe 10?
I thought I had that in there. Updated. I also put in more detail in the quirk skills, still have a couple to get the information. (and some are EXTREMELY useful, like sewing and driving.)

Last edited:

spacemousetw

Alamo Rookie

I think close combat is really fast to kill, just like this guy:

Damn, everyone forget to focus that he try to introduce the .50 cal rifle, and all focus his melee killing.:LOL:

Wow, he still has some skill that I never find out how to use :
Damn I never make this action, I need to learn it!
If I can do this, I think that pull down and step kill maybe more fast than stealth kill and safe.

Last edited:

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Here are the four primary skills available to the Red Talon contractors in Daybreak. They are essentially combinations of all four of the other primary skills for a category, which makes them extremely (overly) powerful.

Heroism is the Fighting skill, Prowess is the Cardio skill, Tactics is the Wits skill, and Warfighting is the Shooting skill.

RT-Heroism-Fighting.jpgRT-Prowess-Cardio-asTraining.jpgRT-Tactics-Wits-asVeterancy.jpgRT-Warfighting-Shooting.jpg

QMJS

Zed Hunter
There are also ten new Quirk-type skills available to the Red Talon contractors in Daybreak. These are, in general, replacements for normal skills, but with slightly different bonuses. Some are very powerful (such as Hacking).

RT-CombatMedicine.jpgRt-Demolitions.jpgRT-Foraging.jpgRT-Fortifications.jpgRT-GutPacking.jpgRT-Hacking.jpgRT-Infrastructure.jpgRT-Logistics.jpgRt-Maintenance.jpgRT-MobileOperations.jpg

QMJS

Zed Hunter
And while I am at it, there are additional hero bonuses available for the Red Talon contractors in Daybreak as well. Again, in my opinion, these are overpowered, as many are stronger than the versions available to regular characters.

Reconnaissance +1 Charge of Rooftop Recon (Radio)
Owed Favors +75 Influence per Day
Sleeping in Shifts +3 Beds
Collecting Brass +2 Ammo Per Day
Noise Discipline -3 Zombie Threat
Barn Raisings +3 Labor
Satellite Radios -20% Most Radio Cooldowns
Foraging System -20% Food Consumed Overall (Max-75%)
Utility Vests +10 Light Carrying Capacity
Field Medicine +20 Max Health
Water Conservation +20 Max Stamina
Reinforced Chassis +50 Vehicle Impact Reduction
Kitchen Patrol +150 Infection Resistance
Compact Ordinance +1 Max Consumable stack