Mod State of Decay 2 Mod Tool [Official Version 1.1]

QMJS

Zed Hunter
You can do a whole lot with the editor... but keep in mind that making it too easy removes the challenge and quite a bit of the fun. Just like any sort of modding, you can make the game essentially pointless if you go too far.

With that said, some notes:

Heartland facilities do work, but the models don't generally fit, and they still require someone with the heartland skills to work. Tip: Put them on outposts.

Multiple skill/talents work. The only issue is that you need to add the specializations first, then the base skill.

You can add as many traits to a character as you want. However, if you go over about 500 or so, you can't join anyone else's game, although they can still join yours.

That character has 1300 health, 1059 stamina... and does not have the Daybreak skills, which would push it up even farther.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
You can do a whole lot with the editor... but keep in mind that making it too easy removes the challenge and quite a bit of the fun. Just like any sort of modding, you can make the game essentially pointless if you go too far.

With that said, some notes:

Heartland facilities do work, but the models don't generally fit, and they still require someone with the heartland skills to work. Tip: Put them on outposts.

View attachment 3017

Multiple skill/talents work. The only issue is that you need to add the specializations first, then the base skill.

View attachment 3018

You can add as many traits to a character as you want. However, if you go over about 500 or so, you can't join anyone else's game, although they can still join yours.

View attachment 3019

That character has 1300 health, 1059 stamina... and does not have the Daybreak skills, which would push it up even farther.
cool thanks for the info.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I'm having an issue adding skills. I added the specializations I was looking for then the min skill as stated above but for whatever reason when I load the game it didn't show the skill. I loaded the editor back up and it only showed 1 of the specializations but not the 2nd or main skill. I tied deleting the skill and re adding it to get it to work. I tried it multiple ways. Eventually I just added the basic skill and selected the specialization in the game hoping to add a working 2nd specialization later.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
It will only show one of them in each slot in the UI, but they will be present. Similarly, if you add lots of traits, only four will show in the UI.

Edit: It also only shows 3 digits of health and stamina, so if the value is 1234 it shows up as 234. Keep in mind that even with these 'superhero' type characters, they can still die from accumulated trauma/injuries, so heal them up once in a while even though they don't seem to need it.

Also... another two editor capabilities.

You can change multiple character standing to leader, so you can have one (or more of each) and do all the different leader mission types.

You can change the amenities chosen at the start of a game, so you could start a new game with trader and warlord to get their 'one shot' stuff, then swap them out to builder and sheriff for their continuing benefits.

Last edited:

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
It will only show one of them in each slot in the UI, but they will be present. Similarly, if you add lots of traits, only four will show in the UI.

Edit: It also only shows 3 digits of health and stamina, so if the value is 1234 it shows up as 234. Keep in mind that even with these 'superhero' type characters, they can still die from accumulated trauma/injuries, so heal them up once in a while even though they don't seem to need it.

Also... another two editor capabilities.

You can change multiple character standing to leader, so you can have one (or more of each) and do all the different leader mission types.

You can change the amenities chosen at the start of a game, so you could start a new game with trader and warlord to get their 'one shot' stuff, then swap them out to builder and sheriff for their continuing benefits.
I was modding a new community. 1 survivor had no 5th skill. I added all the specializations for gardening to 7* then gardening to 7* but when I loaded the game up there was no 5th skill. I went back in the editor and only 1 of the gardening specializations was there. So I deleted it and tried again. Same thing. So I deleted them all and tried again without using the heartland farming skill. Same thing. Eventually I just added only gardening at 7* and selected 1 specialization in game. I haven't tried adding another specialization to the character.

I ran in to an issue where the game won't load my community. When I select my community and load the game it just stays on the loading screen forever. I hadn't really changed much in the save at that point from when I last loaded it up. Should I consider this a lost cause or is there a way to figure out what I screwed up

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Ah, it doesn't work with the 5th skills... only one of those specializations is available. The only stackable ones are the core skills.

Load the last backup (from the menu top left).

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
Ah, it doesn't work with the 5th skills... only one of those specializations is available. The only stackable ones are the core skills.

Load the last backup (from the menu top left).
AH ok so that was my issue. I was trying to have both versions of the medical specialization.

Since you can't add stuff to the inventory, only duplicate it, I will duplicate a gun and change it to what I want. Some of the guns I've duplicated seem off like some scopes and other mods are missing. Am I imaging things or does the gun you change keep the original guns scope/suppressor/ect (or lack there of)

I'm assuming there isn't a way to add survivors to the community or remove the community size restriction from the home base? I want to run a small community but I don't want to stick at the starter base.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
I haven't modified any recently, but it used to be that the last one of a type that you added was visible. If you changed one and it is holding the old stuff, you might have to add a new one to replace it. I think it is supposed to just set them to default values, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

There is a mod on the discord (or used to be, some disappeared as keeping up with the frequent patches gets to be a chore) that removed all the restrictions.

But... select a character, export, then import... new guy, same skills, same traits, same gear. You can adjust after that. Weirdness with nicknames generally means it is best to export from one save and import into a different one. Or just add, move in, then delete them again.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I haven't modified any recently, but it used to be that the last one of a type that you added was visible. If you changed one and it is holding the old stuff, you might have to add a new one to replace it. I think it is supposed to just set them to default values, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

There is a mod on the discord (or used to be, some disappeared as keeping up with the frequent patches gets to be a chore) that removed all the restrictions.

But... select a character, export, then import... new guy, same skills, same traits, same gear. You can adjust after that. Weirdness with nicknames generally means it is best to export from one save and import into a different one. Or just add, move in, then delete them again.
There was a few weapons I though had scopes that didn't when I duplicated then changed them. The gun I started was a civilian uzi that didn't have any attachments. I could be wrong and the weapon I though had a scope doesn't really.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that you could access your stored Legacy characters with the mod tool. Is there a way to do this? I’d like to do a long term community, and run my 7 favorites from my 40 something stored people.

I could finish all my communities, and then start 3 communities and copy people over that way. But if there is a faster way....

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
The CE only works with active communities. There's no way to access your legacy pool, as of yet. Maybe that can happen in future versions, but I don't know if it's possible.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
Alright... guess I’ll need to do some plague heart hunting and finish my communities. Thanks! I appreciate the fast reply. Do they not store the Legacy Pool locally?

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Do they not store the Legacy Pool locally?
No, it's a local file. I transferred my Windows store legacy pool to my Steam save. However, the dev for the community editor hasn't added the ability to edit the pool or doesn't realize the desire to do so.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
No, it's a local file. I transferred my Windows store legacy pool to my Steam save. However, the dev for the community editor hasn't added the ability to edit the pool or doesn't realize the desire to do so.
That seems fair enough. Thanks for the answers.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
It's one of those things that he had started adding, and then had to stop and update for a patch... there are a lot of things on his 'to do' list, but every time he has to update it, he goes back to basics to get it out faster. If they stopped messing with the file encryption, how the save files are organized, and other stuff like that, it would be able to do a lot more by now. But it is quite powerful, even if it takes quite a few steps to get some things done.

vent0r

Missing Survivor
Could you elaborate further? Why do you think it was locked because of using the editor?
I never had any problem with the game, had it for a year or so. Even when using trainers nothing happened, but since I started using this tool my account was locked. Coincidence? 🤔

QMJS

Zed Hunter
I never had any problem with the game, had it for a year or so. Even when using trainers nothing happened, but since I started using this tool my account was locked. Coincidence? 🤔
So what was the message in the email you got, or the error code upon attempting to login? Either would give you the reason the account was locked. It's not this tool, as 30000+ people or so have been using it for a couple of years now.