State of Decay 2: Daybreak Released

Seems the book symposium I webt to was far more fun that I had imagined. Met Mario Herrera a writer of kids books and a hero of mine when it comes to teaching. My wife thought I would be upset about needing to go. When she told me it was him. Super excited and totally looked forward to it. Now all is done and we are on the train back. Missed this mornings "classes" but it is cool. Throat is a mess and tired as heck.

Now to my questions of this...

Secret achievement first...

Then can play normally..,

Or play normally then after a couple plays then go for the secret? Cause 250 points to my 1000/1000 would be nice.

Just unlocked my special CLEO Drop radio command and my first Red Talon facility mod. Holy super-grind, Batman! I'm hitting DB hard, but it's a fucking slog. Thank god I really like this mode, otherwise I'd say fuck it.
Damn you really were hitting DB hard last night! It was good playing with you, thanks (y)

So it seems you have to complete 25 games to get every unlock.

After unlocking all of Tier 1, you stop getting any unlocks after wave 3.

After Tier 2, nothing after wave 5.

Then Tier 3 is only unlocks by full completion.

Info from a Reddit thread.
I really hope that this either incorrect or can be changed by UL in future, because having to complete to unlock all the tier 3 rewards is going to be a complete pita.

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
Few niggles with Daybreak - when you've completed a match and the host leaves, there is no way I can see to find another game and you're forced to quit and restart daybreak! There also doesn't seem to be an easy way to see what friends are hosting so that you can join them.

As for those ferals waiting around the CLEO drops, they are a pain.

e5futter

Rescued Ally
I really hope that this either incorrect or can be changed by UL in future, because having to complete to unlock all the tier 3 rewards is going to be a complete pita.
I've found Daybreak to be extremely easier to do with only one co op person. Yesterday my bud and I completed about 6 playthroughs without the barricades being breached. He kept to 7.62 while I kept to the Cleo weapons, and we both took one side. He takes left while I get right. When juggernauts come we team up to take them out. The hardest wave for us though is five.

Erudain

Alamo Rookie
Easiest game yesterday, I queued up for a co-op run and landed with 3 other guys who had minefields unlocked and using them, so we had 8 minefields on us default + the 5 the game drops normally, we set 4 for wave 5 & 6 and 5 for wave 7, was overkill, had enough time to drink a beer IRL.

I think you can even decrease to 3-3-3-4 minefields for waves 4, 5, 6 & 7 and still be fairly easy

In my limited experience with this DLC, I've learned a few things:
  • Most of the people I played with prefer the RT weapons (high-capacity), so I started using the CLEO Battle Rifle as soon as it was unlocked. This meant more available 7.62 or 12-gauge ammo for the other players, and all that CLEO ammo wasn't just abandoned on the field.
  • Incendiaries seems to create more problems than solutions in later levels. Burning jugs and armored zeds meant extra burn damage on players.
  • Dropping the Wall Repair Kits on the ground inside the walls, made a lot of sense.
  • After experimenting with melee weapons, I ended up sticking with the Smasher— the high knockdown stat seemed to make crowd control much easier.
  • Zone Defense, people. Outside the wall.
  • The game lags, even with a much smaller map... why?????
  • Extended spans of melee combat really shine a light on some of the shortcomings of the SoD2 combat system:
    • The balance of 'stunning' or 'cancelling' attacks is more in the zeds favor. Ferals are really bad with this, their flurry attack cannot be interrupted with melee. Standard zeds as well; you can get a line of 5-6 zeds all doing flurry attacks in a row, and watch your survivor lose half their health, during a perpetual staggered loop.
    • The player's failed grab animation is wayyyyyyy to long.
    • I'm not sure exactly what button combination causes this, but there's an input that causes the player character to lock onto a specific zed, and they will sprint toward this target to attack— running thru bloater gas, fire, it doesn't matter. You can cancel it with a dodge, but by the time I realized it was happening, it was already too late.
  • The fact that facilities are the LAST tier to unlock, bottom of the fucking list, pisses me off to no end. Because they are the ONLY thing of any value for the main game. The rest (including RT Operatives, which are randomized) is all just derivative nonsense.
I also have to say, this frantic level of combat is a double-edge sword... it could make the base game feel dull by comparison. Unless they're planning a difficulty spike for the main game, that is.

Last edited:

borobomb

Alamo Rookie

• I'm not sure exactly what button combination causes this, but there's an input that causes the player character to lock onto a specific zed, and they will sprint toward this target to attack— running thru bloater gas, fire, it doesn't matter. You can cancel it with a dodge, but by the time I realized it was happening, it was already too late.
I agree with these 100%. I've also noticed that sometimes there is a lag between button presses and an actual action. Then I think something is wacked out I press the button again. Then I end up using 2 items or trying to grab a second enemy causing the failed grab issue.

Vahx

Alamo Rookie
  • Most of the people I played with prefer the RT weapons (high-capacity), so I started using the CLEO Battle Rifle as soon as it was unlocked. This meant more available 7.62 or 12-gauge ammo for the other players, and all that CLEO ammo wasn't just abandoned on the field.
  • Incendiaries seems to create more problems than solutions in later levels. Burning jugs and armored zeds meant extra burn damage on players.
  • Dropping the Wall Repair Kits on the ground inside the walls, made a lot of sense.
  • After experimenting with melee weapons, I ended up sticking with the Smasher— the high knockdown stat seemed to make crowd control much easier.
  • Extended spans of melee combat really shine a light on some of the shortcomings of the SoD2 combat system:
    • The balance of 'stunning' or 'cancelling' attacks is more in the zeds favor. Ferals are really bad with this, their flurry attack cannot be interrupted with melee. Standard zeds as well; you can get a line of 5-6 zeds all doing flurry attacks in a row, and watch your survivor lose half their health, during a perpetual staggered loop.
  • The fact that facilities are the LAST tier to unlock, bottom of the fucking list, pisses me off to no end. Because they are the ONLY thing of any value for the main game. The rest (including RT Operatives, which are randomized) is all just derivative nonsense.
I also have to say, this frantic level of combat is a double-edge sword... it could make the base game feel dull by comparison. Unless they're planning a difficulty spike for the main game, that is.
The lag is due to playing with 3 other people i assume.

There are no dedicated servers. One player is the host.
When i host a game, i barely lag.
Well, the no dedicated servers defense makes sense regarding the main game— which has massive maps and a tethering mechanic. But this DLC has a map that is significantly smaller than the tethering radius itself of the main game, and it still has lag issues.

But to your point... being the host as a solution, doesn't solve the lag for the other 3 players. Some lag is to be expected with peer-to-peer, but IMO this is beyond what is considered acceptible, and has more to do with the ongoing optimization issues (probably rooted in early development) they cannot seem to remedy.

Last edited:

Ehrmagerdden

Rescued Ally
I can't even with this game. It is so absurdly freaking glitchy that I can barely play a game of Daybreak without going solo. Invisible zombies, headless zombies, teleporting zombies - right, because that's new news. And those are the least of my problems. Mind-boggling lag, constant disconnects, loss of control (ranging from complete, frozen-in-carbonite loss, to loss of one or several key functions like, you know, being able to fight back). *Sigh* I keep wanting to have fun with this game, but UL seems hellbent on ruining the experience. Also, would it have been too much to ask for, shit, I dunno, two Daybreak maps instead of one?

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
I just re installed the game and played for about 3 hours and noticed something regarding the base seiges: It now tells you what your siege level is (mine was level 2) so I'm assuming this means they'll get crazier as the level increases.

It feels very stale very fast, I like it, but I wish there was more to it than "Defend the Technician" for seven waves with just rewards at the end, no point in doing it when you unlock everything and duplicate it with friends as that is an easy method to farm gear.
My feeling is that UL's eventually gonna add a few more variables into the DB mix. Hell, they all but confirmed a future Blood Plague Feral.