UL Official State of Decay 2: Choose your own Difficulty Update

kwpit79

Missing Survivor
I'm looking forward to anything that'll make me nervous about taking good characters out for missions/scavenging. Right now I have no worries in the world - hence why I stopped playing the game 3 or 4 months ago.

I'm obviously not sure how it'll play yet, but it seems like we're basically getting the equivalent of Breakdown levels 1 (normal), 50 (Dread) and 99 (Nightmare), with no subtle ramp up in between.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
I wonder if this means they will revert some of the changes they made to make things harder like melee weapon durability, or adding more shake to the gun reticle. I tried to play through a campaign a week ago, but that durability thing was driving me nutty. Why is my apocalypse bat, the most durable weapon, turning yellow before my survivor has taken a cardio hit? I don’t really want more hit point Zeds. I only wander Harran in the day.

It’s a shame they couldn’t figure out ways to increase difficulty like they did with the Feral. Those changes from 1 to 2 were masterful. It’s so much scarier now.

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
Honestly guys. I know we want certain aspects from this and not the whole package they've forced on us, but I'm pretty happy with this "fuck you"difficulty. That's just a personal me thing but as long as it doesn't (oh pray, please pray.) Come broken and unplayable upon patch date, I'm gonna be pretty happy with this.

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
I watched the entirety of UL's latest video, and if Brant was indeed playing NIGHTMARE mode the entire time, it didn't look that hard.

They also mentioned that nothing's changed re: resource crafting . . . meaning the same number of crafted items are produced by the same number of consumed resources.

Soooo . . . Stealth + Fuel Bombs + Firecrackers, kids.

It's the ONLY way to scavenge!

Yeah, I'm gonna smoke this mode.

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
I watched the entirety of UL's latest video, and if Brant was indeed playing NIGHTMARE mode the entire time, it didn't look that hard.
Geoffrey pointed out that it was a brand new community as well, meaning it won't be ramped up fully hardcore yet. They will need to take that camp through some level ups and a bunch of days for the nightmare to set in.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
I’m curious about how UL went about increasing the horde sizes for Nightmare Zone. The last update we received already increased horde sizes for the regular game, and from how I understood they added as much as the system would allow for performance. NOW they are advertising Nightmare Zone as having larger hordes? The only way I can see them achieving this is by reducing the horde size from the regular game to give Nightmare Zone the larger hordes experience. It’s just a theory/speculation, but it would be worth comparing the regular game we have now to the regular game zone we get with the “Choose Your Own Apocalypse” update.

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
I occasionally play with a guy who uses a "Hard" mod, and the hordes get insanely supersized. More, the action ramps up to frenetic levels of pure chaos. So, if anything, I'm well prepared for what UL is primed to chuck at us.

That said, if NIGHTMARE'S level of chaotic intensity and sheer horde density surpasses said "Hard" mod, well, then things are bound to get . . . interesting.

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
Anybody able to confirm the fact that you have to re-unlock boon cards for each difficulty?
can't confirm it first hand yet, but they say you will need to unlock for each mode...but I recall them saying if you unlock in nightmare first then it will also be unlocked for the lower modes as well. possibly that's what i remember.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
Anybody able to confirm the fact that you have to re-unlock boon cards for each difficulty?

can't confirm it first hand yet, but they say you will need to unlock for each mode...but I recall them saying if you unlock in nightmare first then it will also be unlocked for the lower modes as well. possibly that's what i remember.
Yes you'll need to unlock all the boons again for the new zones but any unlocked at nightmare will unlock them for use in dread too.

Wolfwood824

Missing Survivor
How does that work with "moving" an existing community to a higher difficulty setting? I mean, I guess they could simply turn off the Sheriff/Builder boons if you haven't unlocked them for that difficulty, but you've already reaped the benefits of the Trader and Warlord boons if you started with them.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
How does that work with "moving" an existing community to a higher difficulty setting? I mean, I guess they could simply turn off the Sheriff/Builder boons, but you've already reaped the benefits of the Trader and Warlord boons if you started with them.
Currently, I'm operating on the assumption that NIGHTMARE gets so terribly, desperately punishing near the endgame that we'll all drop to our knees, sobbing, and beg UL for every Boon we can get.

If it gets THAT hard, we might be able to create some tough survival competitions for each other.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Currently, I'm operating on the assumption that NIGHTMARE gets so terribly, desperately punishing near the endgame that we'll all drop to our knees, sobbing, and beg UL for every Boon we can get.

If it gets THAT hard, we might be able to create some tough survival competitions for each other.
I've got a feeling that the ability to select what zone you spawn in when you boot up the game will be abused to no end.

If I'm understanding how this is going to work, you can use the menu to switch back and forth between zones. I have a sneaking suspicion that we might be able to game the system by switching zones to keep spawning lootable containers.

Just a feeling I got.

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
I've got a feeling that the ability to select what zone you spawn in when you boot up the game will be abused to no end.

If I'm understanding how this is going to work, you can use the menu to switch back and forth between zones. I have a sneaking suspicion that we might be able to game the system by switching zones to keep spawning lootable containers.

Just a feeling I got.
Hmmm. 🤨

We'll see how it shakes out. I thought Geoff said that switching Zones resets the map (and boots your community to homeless status, like it currently does when moving to a new map). If that's the case, then daily map screenshots will verify whether people participating in any potential future competitions are doing things above board.

Vahx

Alamo Rookie

Just a feeling I got.
The map fully resets, i assume that also means you have to rebuild your base after a switch.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
  • Hostile NPCs can survive a headshot or two before dying.
  • Hostile NPCs can take even more headshots before dying.
So 3+ headshots to kill a human ? That's not making it harder, it's just making it dumber.
I have to agree this one. Head shots are head shot. Nobody can take multiple headshots and keep running around shooting back. I appreciate that they aimed to make hostile enclaves tougher, but bullet sponge enemies is a poor design choice. They should have just given hostiles good weapons and made them really good shooters.

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
...You can also see that Brant does indeed play the game...
Ya, Brant plays a lot of multiplayer with some of the streamers, namely falloutgirl. some of UL devs join the chats on various twitch streams from time to time as well. They are in touch with a few select people from their player base.

I mentioned before that Brant was playing with someone and wished he could open the hosts base screen to help him understand their base setup. As a player he understands how frustrating the way it is set up, and they briefly touched upon it in one of their streams.

I hope that some form of viewing the hosts base makes it into a future update.

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
I can only agree with the things people have said in response to this, and apologise as I was unclear in the points I was trying to make - I'll try and clarify.

Surviving headshots - I was rebutting the point that it is realistic to have a headshot as always instantly fatal in every single circumstance. This is untrue irl, and is also already untrue in game - you cannot headshot and kill a Juggernaut. To use the game designers altering this in respect of hostile enclave NPC's as a point to hang the forthcoming update on is, to me, a bit of a logical fallacy.
Again, yes, it's possible to survive being shot in the head.....but only if it didn't damage critical parts of the brain that are used for basic body functioning AND you get prompt medical attention. Being shot in the head is going to put you down no matter what, and you won't be getting back up on your own. Without help, being shot in the head is pretty much as close as you can get to being 100% fatal. You're more likely to survive being hit by a car while being struck by lighting than being shot in the head.

As far as Jugs....well, they aren't even close to being realistic to begin with.

The results of a .22 and .50 shot - In game I can stand 250 meters away from a location, take aim with a Scoped Mk 3 pistol and headshot a zombie through a window, then do the same with a Timberwolf. I can do the same at point blank range. If I go and look at the bodies they will all have the entire top of the head gone, from the lower jaw upwards, when irl all four shots will have different affects on the skull. THAT is what I meant by the game being unrealistic in portaying the same results (and completely failed to express in my original post!)
Yes, this is something that always bothered me as well. And it's not just guns, ANY dead Zombie no matter whether it was killed by bullets, a knife, a 2x4, a vehicle, or a rusty screwdriver has the same "exploded head" damage.

If you're going to complain about realism in the game as a stated reason to dislike an unreleased update then please;
  • Complain about the fact you can fall off a building, have the stated injuries of dislocated ankle, cracked ribs and shattered spine then run back to your base, use a first aid kit and magically be healed.
  • Bitch about the fact that you have a car with no doors, wreaked body work and smoke coming from the engine bay, use a repair kit and hey presto everything is pristine again.
  • Harangue UL on the point that every single vehicle in the game has the same damage model, resulting in the engine on fire and blowing up.
  • Make an issue over the fact that zombies are not real!
Or take a minute, breathe, and remember this a game about survivors of a worldwide zombie outbreak, the game designers are trying to make a game that is fun and will appeal to as wide an audience as possible and will never please everybody with everything they do.

Don't get me wrong there are many things I have issue with in the game, that can drive my frustrationup massively at times and by no means think it is perfect! There are many things I would change to make the game more appealing to me, but I recognise UL aren't trying to appeal to me, but as many people as possible and I will play the update before forming a solid opinion on it.
I more complain that you can get up at all after falling off a building, but given how buggy the climbing mechanics can be at times it's not entirely a bad thing.

FA and Repair kits.....just, no. Purely something done to appeal to the lowest common denominator that is so desperately being courted.

A lot of the things that are being complained about are because this is not how the game was portrayed during production. It was promised to build and expand on what was good about SoD, and that seemed to be what the trailers and such showed, but instead we got watered down SoD with missing gameplay mechanics (remember hiding in bushes and destructible environment objects?) better graphics and more of a constant action feel. Not what we wanted, and not what was promoted as being SoD2.

Last edited: