[Solved] Windowed Mode

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Does anyone know what causes the game to randomly switch to windowed mode from full screen?
Its been doing it for a couple of days, now. I can just Alt+Enter to get it back into fullscreen but I've not had this issue before.

Somewhat related, Skyrim does something similar after loading a save and playing for a few minutes. It'll just minimise the whole thing to the taskbar. Good thing I can get it back, I never used to be able to on my old pc.

The last time it happened I checked the Event Viewer and the only thing at that time was an entry saying, "the Application Experience Service has entered the stopped state." Whatever that is.

I'm sure the answer was on the old forums, as with everything else 😃
I remember reading other people's issues with this but don't remember if there was a reason.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Odds are some background application is demanding your CPU's attention, which is throwing the game into "standby". Xfire and other gaming chat apps were common causes. It can take a bit of time to locate the offender by trial and error (end process via task manager) or you can just clean boot every time you're ready to begin a gaming session.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I don't use/have any of those.
Been doing some poking around and after reading the AMD forums learnt something new so I'll test it again later today, after I reinstall (clean install) the newest video driver.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Well, it seems to have been fixed. Finally. Not sure which thing fixed it. Either opting out of the AMD User Experience Program (that was sneaky of them to auto-opt everyone into that), or clean installing the newest driver. Either way I haven't had Skyrim minimise itself or YOSE go into windowed mode again.

One little strange thing, my GPU drivers are fully up to date yet in Radeon Settings it says there's a new update (18.9.3) - which is exactly the same as I have installed (18.9.3). I followed the link to download it but it just overwrites the zip file that I already have.
I'll just wait for another new one. I have no problems so far/anymore.