SoD2 & RDR2 similarities.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
The new gameplay trailer for RDR2 has been revealed, and it’s confirmed some speculations I’ve had. It appears to be borrowing some State Of Decay elements...

COMMUNITY
Like managing a group of survivors with their own skills and traits in SoD, RDR2 will have the player managing a gang of outlaws with each outlaw bringing their own skill set. Player’s choose who to bring to each mission, sharpshooter, lock picker, stealthy Native American, etc.

MANAGING MORALE
Like collecting resources in SoD, RDR2 will require the player to hunt and do jobs to keep every gang member fed and paid, or you could risk losing that gang member.

BASES
Like managing bases in SoD, RDR2 will have the player moving the outlaw gang’s camp to new locations. Bases will act as an HQ like SoD where we can interact with other gang members and do missions specific to certain gang members and/or choosing which gang members to take.

PERMADEATH?
This one is unconfirmed and still just speculation, but whether or not the death of a gang member is permanent remains to be seen. Personally I think it would be cool.

I think it’s cool to see a big company like Rockstar borrow so many elements from a smaller team like UL. I wonder what other SoD elements we mights see?

Keep RDR’s zombie expansion pack “Undead Nightmare” in mind, because if they do another zombie DLC for RDR2, with all the new elements being borrowed from SoD, UL could see some competition. Thoughts?

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
That sounds fantastic if you ask me. I just hope they handle all the mechanics well enough to make them compelling rather than tedious (that said, I don't tend to mind a bit of micromanagement, but it's far better when it's genuinely fun).

At the very least, we're pretty much guaranteed a story with RDR2, and even if it's bad, it'll still be an improvement over the nonexistent story in SoD2.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
Once RDR2 drops, perhaps Undead Labs will actually feel some pressure to revamp their systems and add plot, so the best case scenario is that by the mere existence of a game that does 'the same but better,' we may then get the improvements we've all been hoping to see. Even so, I don't think it will restore the community's goodwill (a very important resource) but it would be a step in the right direction.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
Time to get another playthrough of RDR in before Halloween release!

And if SoD2 doesn't have some serious content available by then (numerous patches and a campaign worthy of Maya, Marcus and Ed), I think SoD2 will probably fade into obscurity. Just guessing, but I don't really see another outcome. They'll have to compete with RDR2 in a major way, like the life of the franchise depends on it, because if RDR2 has better story and settlement elements, AND releases another undead apocalypse DLC like they did for the first game, it will render SoD2 utterly obsolete.
Red Dead Redemption.png

There do seem to be a few similarities but I'd hesitate to say Rockstar was deliberately emulating Undead Labs. The game industry has a follow the leader mentality which influences many of their decisions. However, that usually only happens when one game is overly successful beyond a certain margin.

While SoD was very successful, It wasn't close to Halo or Call of Duty numbers which is where one can note trend chasers coming into play.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
There do seem to be a few similarities but I'd hesitate to say Rockstar was deliberately emulating Undead Labs. The game industry has a follow the leader mentality which influences many of their decisions. However, that usually only happens when one game is overly successful beyond a certain margin.

While SoD was very successful, It wasn't close to Halo or Call of Duty numbers which is where one can note trend chasers coming into play.
Yeah, I don't feel that Rockstar, a household name for gamers everywhere with a highly successful back catalog, would be borrowing specifically from Undead Labs' playbook. I think it's natural that more games are developing certain gameplay systems (skill trees and crafting systems are found in everything these days), and RDR2 having an interactive, mobile settlement system with resources and morale, etc, honestly just feels like a natural progression to me. Inspiration for the travel camps could have come from anywhere, really, and I think it's just as likely to have come from one of the devs' enjoyment of the Warden's Keep DLC for Dragon Age: Origins back in the day (just naming an arbitrary "let's give the players a home base" situation), as from SoD.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
The new gameplay trailer for RDR2 has been revealed, and it’s confirmed some speculations I’ve had. It appears to be borrowing some State Of Decay elements...

COMMUNITY
Like managing a group of survivors with their own skills and traits in SoD, RDR2 will have the player managing a gang of outlaws with each outlaw bringing their own skill set. Player’s choose who to bring to each mission, sharpshooter, lock picker, stealthy Native American, etc.

MANAGING MORALE
Like collecting resources in SoD, RDR2 will require the player to hunt and do jobs to keep every gang member fed and paid, or you could risk losing that gang member.

BASES
Like managing bases in SoD, RDR2 will have the player moving the outlaw gang’s camp to new locations. Bases will act as an HQ like SoD where we can interact with other gang members and do missions specific to certain gang members and/or choosing which gang members to take.

PERMADEATH?
This one is unconfirmed and still just speculation, but whether or not the death of a gang member is permanent remains to be seen. Personally I think it would be cool.

I think it’s cool to see a big company like Rockstar borrow so many elements from a smaller team like UL. I wonder what other SoD elements we mights see?

Keep RDR’s zombie expansion pack “Undead Nightmare” in mind, because if they do another zombie DLC for RDR2, with all the new elements being borrowed from SoD, UL could see some competition. Thoughts?

eh??
umm no offense, i dont mean any and ofcourse internet does not have context but.....

many many maaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy games have those things? (except the permadeath thing, thats rare) they are not borrowed from UL. SOD was developed 2013 and theres toooooooooones of games that came before that that use these features?

eg take NWN2 off top of my head (SOD1 2013, SOD2 2018, NWN2 2006)
community: recruitable team members bringing their own skills and likes/dislikes, cant use all at once. can choose who to bring and others hang back at base. DnD classes so plenty of versatility to choose from for each mission
managing morale: have to keep your team members happy including squabbles amongest them and at end boss they can turn on you depending on how youve treated them
bases: you move bases starting in village then move to a tavern and ending up owning a keep. which can be done up including buildings, merchants and upgrading their stock, and guards/military including upgrading arms and armour. these act as your HQ, you can interact with your crew including specific character missions
permadeath: none, although any members who turn on you are (although thats at end of game anyway)

some rather old school examples of permadeath are games like rogue and cannon fodder (man it suuuuucked losing your favourite troop in cannon fodder)
jagged alliance 2 even had things such as some mercs work really well together and some hated each other as far as managing teams.
million more examples

sorry once again no offense. couldnt tell whether you were just stating some simiralities since this is a SOD forum or whether you saying those things are unique to undead labs?
i mean you could say then that SOD copied warcraft as you can have bases in that game too? or am i missing something? (english not my first language) i dont think rockstar is "borrowing" anything from SOD2. if you say that you could say SOD2 has borrowed from around 1000 games themselves?

also i keep reading it as SOD and R2D2 as well haha, i came here thinking cool have missed some r2 references heh

Time to get another playthrough of RDR in before Halloween release!

And if SoD2 doesn't have some serious content available by then (numerous patches and a campaign worthy of Maya, Marcus and Ed), I think SoD2 will probably fade into obscurity. Just guessing, but I don't really see another outcome. They'll have to compete with RDR2 in a major way, like the life of the franchise depends on it, because if RDR2 has better story and settlement elements, AND releases another undead apocalypse DLC like they did for the first game, it will render SoD2 utterly obsolete.
Yup. That's exactly how it's gonna play out. Bet on it. Of course, it didn't have to come to this; if only UL didn't flip us OGs the symbolic bird, tear down our Treehouse Forum, and then swiftly abandon us in favor of their new (and soon-to-be-long-gone) casual darlings, they would have easily retained our passionate, unwavering support. Well, at least they would've retained mine.

No longer. When SoD 2 goes the way of the dodo (to wit, when it goes extinct), maybe then UL will reflect on their grevious miscalculations, deceptions, and straight-up arrogance. The only one I'll genuinely feel for is Brant (who, though long since gagged, actually had the guts to call out--during a few livestreams--some of the problems we've identified these past few months).

The Extinction Meteor can't hit soon enough.

Last edited:
Yup. That's exactly how it's gonna play out. Bet on it. Of course, it didn't have to come to this; if only UL didn't flip us OGs the symbolic bird, tear down our Treehouse Forum, and then swiftly abandon us in favor of their new (and soon to be long-gone) casual darlings, they would have easily retained our passionate, unwavering support. Well, at least they would've retained mine.

No longer. When SoD 2 goes the way of the dodo (to wit, when it goes extinct), maybe then UL will reflect on their grevious miscalculations, deceptions, and straight-up arrogance. The only one I'll genuinely feel for is Brant (who, though long since gagged, actually had the guts to call out--during a few livestreams--some of the problems we've identified these past few months).

The Extinction Meteor can't hit soon enough.
I genuinely feel bad for Brant, and I sincerely hope he gets a better job offer at a place he doesn't have to worry about losing his job for talking to fans.

You know, some place like UL used to be before they sold out to MS.