SoD2 Q & A

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Anyone from the UL dev team kicking around here?

I hope so because they need to acknowledge the opinions from the players who been here longer than half their dev team. All these quirky features might get a momentary rise out of the newly acquired casual player base, but they need to stick to the SoD formula and stop trying to be something they ain’t. If quirky is what UL wants the SoD franchise to be, then they’ll have nobody to blame but themselves when the player base drops and hardcore fans move on alongside the casuals.

The hardcore zombie apocalypse game I fell in love with is turning into a god damn circus. #truth
The gritty and more serious nature of the first game is what drove me to purchase the first game. Well, that and the fact that Capcom ran the Resident Evil franchise into the grave trying to make it more 'mainstream'. I was looking for a replacement to the golden age Resident Evil games and thought I might have found it with State of Decay.

Now it seems like the devs are going the corporate sellout way.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
Anyone know how hordes work? Sometimes when viewing hordes on the map it just says ZOMBIES, other times it tells you how much zombies and screamers are in the horde. It also occasionally tell you where the horde is headed too (like in SoD1). What determines the amount of horde info we get?
maps.png

Last edited:

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
Would someone please refresh my memory re: the penalties suffered when moving from one map to another? I don't mean ending the game by completing your final Legacy mission. I mean moving on to the next map with your current community.

I don't recall if everyone goes with you, or if you're limited to only a few.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Would someone please refresh my memory re: the penalties suffered when moving from one map to another? I don't mean ending the game by completing your final Legacy mission. I mean moving on to the next map with your current community.

I don't recall if everyone goes with you, or if you're limited to only a few.

Thanks in advance! 🙂
As I recall, everything/everyone goes with you except your vehicles. They're supposed to fix that, but I haven't seen it in the patch notes to date.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
As I recall, everything/everyone goes with you except your vehicles. They're supposed to fix that, but I haven't seen it in the patch notes to date.
I haven't tested vehicles that are parked at base (when you move there aren't any parking spots so I don't think they go anywhere.)

But, if you drive to the gates, the vehicle you are in appears nearby on the new map... most of the time.

LiNanMian1984

Alamo Rookie
I haven't tested vehicles that are parked at base (when you move there aren't any parking spots so I don't think they go anywhere.)

But, if you drive to the gates, the vehicle you are in appears nearby on the new map... most of the time.
So which to "take with" the Viking, The Trail Beast or others? With the radio options to spawn them on the new map... Pyrohawk seems almost as badass as the Trail Beast in forms of ass kickery

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
Okay, I just made the move from MV to DC. Here's who's who and and what's what . . .

You keep ALL your survivors, ALL the shit they're carrying, and ALL the stuff in your locker. Your resources retain the EXACT numerical values they had from the previous map (except for your Materials value, which actually increases rather dramatically). Alas, the vehicle I drove from MV into Drucker did NOT "appear nearby," so I obviously drew the short straw there. All in all, a smooth transition.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
Okay, I just made the move from MV to DC. Here's who's who and and what's what . . .

You keep ALL your survivors, ALL the shit they're carrying, and ALL the stuff in your locker. Your resources retain the EXACT numerical values they had from the previous map (except for your Materials value, which actually increases rather dramatically). Alas, the vehicle I drove from MV into Drucker did NOT "appear nearby," so I obviously drew the short straw there. All in all, a smooth transition.
Most likely you were refunded some of the materials you used in building your last base before you moved, the same way it would if you moved bases on the same map.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie

I'm not sure what thread it was in, but someone made a list of which locations seem to get it all the time, and which don't. I'm not sure where that was though, and I don't think it is any way selectable. Good when it works, but if you don't count on it, it just turns into a bonus when it does. In that way though, don't leave anything in them.

Beakie

Rescued Ally
This a simple Question but one that has me confused....

I have watched many YouTube videos about SOD 2 and I see them Combat Roll out of trouble all the time I have never been able to pull this off. What is the exact key combination one needs to hit in order to lets say Combat Roll to the Right? I play on PC with KB + Mouse. Is it even possible to do on KB + Mouse or is it just a Controller type thing?

Note Please don't just give me the Key bind for the Dodge command like they did when I asked over on the official Discord site.

This a simple Question but one that has me confused....

I have watched many YouTube videos about SOD 2 and I see them Combat Roll out of trouble all the time I have never been able to pull this off. What is the exact key combination one needs to hit in order to lets say Combat Roll to the Right? I play on PC with KB + Mouse. Is it even possible to do on KB + Mouse or is it just a Controller type thing?

Note Please don't just give me the Key bind for the Dodge command like they did when I asked over on the official Discord site.
The Dodge command is the correct key bind though - the combat roll you see characters do replaces the standard dodge move when a character has the acrobatics skill fully leveled up (seven yellow stars).

If you do not have a max acrobatics skill then there is no combat roll available

Kedryn

Rescued Ally
Anyone know how hordes work? Sometimes when viewing hordes on the map it just says ZOMBIES, other times it tells you how much zombies and screamers are in the horde. It also occasionally tell you where the horde is headed too (like in SoD1). What determines the amount of horde info we get?
I think that the ones that give destination and screamer info are en route to creating an infestation and the hordes with more generic info are simply 'ambient' and do not create infestations. I do not know this definitively, though; I'm just basing it off of knowledge of the original game.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
"All these quirky features might get a momentary rise out of the newly acquired casual player base, but they need to stick to the SoD formula and stop trying to be something they ain’t."

You preach the Gospel, brother, and I'll turn the pages!

"If quirky is what UL wants the SoD franchise to be, then they’ll have nobody to blame but themselves when the player base drops and hardcore fans move on alongside the casuals."

Oh, you bet'cha! And you can believe that those days of casuals dropping off like RAID-struck flies are just visible on the horizon. When popular AAA titles like Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us 2, and the new Fallout hit later this year, only the hardcore "Alamo" types will be there to keep the SoD 2 Flame perennially stoked (just as we did with the first game).

Or will we? Speaking only for myself, the next DLC for SoD 2 will determine whether or not I'm in it for the Long Haul. Because I know in my gut that the next DLC will reveal to us which direction -- tonally speaking -- the franchise is headed. If it proves to be an over-the-top, Dead Rising-esque goof-romp, I'm gone like the proverbial fucking wind, baby. I'm vanished into thin air, like Keyser-fuckin'-Soze!

"The hardcore zombie apocalypse game I fell in love with is turning into a god damn circus."

Oh yes indeed it is, friend. At this point, we can only hope that the "Independence Day" stuff was merely a lighthearted, playful anomaly; and that the devs have since returned to the serious task of crafting all future DLC in the mold, tone, and spirit of the original game. But if not; if the whole enterprise does devolve into a full-fledged circus . . . well, I hope Undead Labs is aware that CAPCOM'S "Dead Rising" franchise does the Total-Carnage-cum-Goof thingee a WHOLE lot better than SoD. And they (CAPCOM) have a far greater budget to boot. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Rebel36

Rescued Ally
I'm still trying to figure out all the special skills and abilities you can receive after leveling up your characters and the proper buttons for special moves. Two of my favorites are the one that comes with sword play specialization I think it is, where you can cut the legs off zeds. It used to be called low slice in the OG. I also love gunslinger and the snap aim it gives you. Very useful on ferals as well as on screamers when clearing an infestation. Maybe you folks who have progressed deeper into the game than I, could share your favorites and give me some recommendations on other useful ones.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I'm still trying to figure out all the special skills and abilities you can receive after leveling up your characters and the proper buttons for special moves. Two of my favorites are the one that comes with sword play specialization I think it is, where you can cut the legs off zeds. It used to be called low slice in the OG. I also love gunslinger and the snap aim it gives you. Very useful on ferals as well as on screamers when clearing an infestation. Maybe you folks who have progressed deeper into the game than I, could share your favorites and give me some recommendations on other useful ones.

Once you hit 7 stars in swordplay you get the standing execute move (RT+X on xbox) The character grabs the zed and hacks its head off and it works from front or rear.

Powerhouse has another good one. When you hit 7 stars in powerhouse you can grapple zeds from the front.