SoD2 Forum Zeitgeist Experiment #1

What is your general opinion of SoD2?

• One of the most enjoyable games I have ever played

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very enjoyable game with a few rough edges that can be fixed with a few patches

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Enjoyable game overall, but has issues that might be fixed after an undetermined number of updates

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Enjoyable at first, but has proven unable to hold my attention like the first game

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Enjoyment has been gradually overshadowed by bugs, and UL & Microsoft's altered rapport with players

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Not enjoyable: development of SoD2 was off the mark, with no chance of remedy until maybe SoD3

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Failure: UL has lost my respect and will likely never get it back, short of some unseen miracle

• Massive failure: UL are sellouts, and they will never make anything good ever again

• Total voters

Shinzou

Missing Survivor
This one is actually very hard to define for me... i love the gameplay elements of searching for resources, base management, survivor recruiting and skilling, some missions are cool, it basically is endlessly playable for those basics. Did not care for the DLC at all so far. Multiplayer sadly has been a crapshoot, although if working with friends, it has been fun. Whenever i have an hour to kill, i am pretty much doing one of my three endless communities now.

I voted enjoyable overall, because the other options don't seem to fit. I am disappointed with the Ultimate Edition i bought though, certainly not worth the money above the base game.

I want more story for sure, though. I always hoped this would be like a mix of the Dead State RPG and State of Decay 1 story mode (with breakdown mode added in for extension, but sadly that is all we got pretty much).

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I went with good old 3..... would have been 2 but the last patch broke my followers. So I'm not really sure how many of the bugs we are seeing now will be fixed and how many will end up remaining part of the game. I hit a wall after 880 hours of gameplay and after a week break I'm back at it again ;) @Terrafutan thank you again my friend

But I also have plans of putting out a "How to get a great start in LifeLine" video once work slows down again and I get a mic. Kind of figure it might be helpful to all the new players who may be playing it. Of course I'll go back to streaming it some too as I enjoy sharing my love of LL and story mode.

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
I picked the 4th one because like I said before, I was really excited for this game but as time went on I didnt really feel or it started to wear off the "magic" from the first game. Once my friends got it I was back on board and I was only helping them out and neglecting my own community.

I'm not gonna lie guys but.... I never completed my legacy mission and I don't really have the desire to finish it because I've seen what they look like on YouTube so I already know what is coming. But I asked myself "do I really need that?" I'm already doing great and I'm barely wasting resources or I already have good facilities. Eventually I just stopped playing and haven't played since.

I'm willing to play it again but for multiplayer only.
But yeah, number 4 is a perfect description of how it went for me.

Last edited:

Vursuli

Alamo Rookie
But I asked myself "do I really need that?" I'm already doing great and I'm barely wasting resources or I already have good facilities. Eventually I just stopped playing and haven't played since.
The game is more enjoyable for me without "cheats" so to speak. But I guess someone could say using the daybreak dlc is a cheat in a way too.

SomeRandomGuy

Alamo Rookie
Door #5 for me. It's far from being unplayable, but the simple fact that every patch intended to fix bugs has either failed to fix said bug for many people or introduced new ones doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture for the future of SoD2. The fact that UL is now a fully owned subsidiary of MS also does not paint a pretty picture for the future of SoD as a whole, especially in the community relations department.

Mad Dog Kelso

Alamo Rookie
#3 for me. This game's got potential in spades. Alas, based on the actual devs' commentaries that I've suffered through over these long months, I fear they may lack both the imagination and (eek!) the skillsets required to capitalize on said potentialities. Yes . . . the astonishing paucity of imaginative game design. It hurts sometimes . . . listening to the banality these kids spew. I know that's harsh, but it's how I see it. Shit, people, I can name at least THREE (ostensibly doable) things off the top of my head that would improve SoD 2 dramatically and keep players' coming back for more. And I wait tables for a living, for god's sake. *sigh*

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
#4 for me, I still have faith in the team and what they're doing, but SoD 2 just isn't as fun as the original. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed having a fully voiced story with "cutscenes" and difficulty increasing dramatically on every NG+/Breakdown level.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
Geez, CaptainAssassin provides 8 freaking choices and I still agonize. Bad at choosing.

I went with 6 and realize I'm being too harsh. I did have fun for a bit but I may have quit before June. Was about to vote 4 but at last second remembered how much I hated the zeds spawning every 2 seconds when I drove, that made me click 6.

I don't think it's that the game can't be fixed, it's just that I believe it won't be. I think the core gameplay is incredibly tedious but so what, they got millions satisfying people who ain't me. For the same reason I see no cause to think SOD3 will be better.

Bugs weren't really a problem for me, but MS/UL's take on communication/engagement is awful and makes any other gripes 10x worse.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I think I figured out what bugs me the most about the differences and why I solidly picked 4. It's that the "story" we got in State of Decay 2 is similar to the cop out story telling of Sea of Thieves. It feels very much like an empty place when not playing co-op, same as when I watched Sea of Thieves small streamers.

State of Decay 1: Here's a detailed story in a sandbox for you to play in at your own pace, including characters that make you feel for them when they die.

State of Decay 2: Here's a sandbox for you to go play in and a loosely defined story to play in at your own, and some characters for you, go create their stories.

At no point in State of Decay 2 did I ever consider restarting due to a character's death. In State of Decay 1? If I lost Maya...it's time to restart and try again...

Just Too

Alamo Rookie
At no point in State of Decay 2 did I ever consider restarting due to a character's death. In State of Decay 1? If I lost Maya...it's time to restart and try again...
That's probably because in sod 2 the survivors you start out with are not memorable. The only ones I remember are the two siblings and that's because I keep seeing gameplay of people just choosing them.

It seemed like they were starting off interesting at first but then they turn into every other survivor you meet.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
That's probably because in sod 2 the survivors you start out with are not memorable. The only ones I remember are the two siblings and that's because I keep seeing gameplay of people just choosing them.

It seemed like they were starting off interesting at first but then they turn into every other survivor you meet.
I'd go further and say they're kind of unlikeable. I think it's some weird mix of how clean they all are, the stupid hoodies and the voice acting. SOD1 characters felt real to me; that includes the nobody randoms, so I don't think it's just due to knowing the major characters through the story. They felt of their setting, natural. I think the amateur voice acting helped with that.

SOD2 characters always put me in mind of the cast of some mid-budget network TV show where everyone's supposed to be photogenic and bland. Smooth but tasteless, as opposed to the more textured SOD1 characters.

Just Too

Alamo Rookie

SOD2 characters always put me in mind of the cast of some mid-budget network TV show where everyone's supposed to be photogenic and bland. Smooth but tasteless, as opposed to the more textured SOD1 characters.
That reminded of those survival tv shows like naked and afraid where they have to survive and there's drama. Maybe sod 2 is secretly a tv show? o_O

Dunadain

Alamo Rookie
4. I keep wanting to go back, but there's Skyrim to play. Also, my brain dwells on looting that cul de sac in Marshall, not exploring the new maps, or Forza'ing through Australia. (Not England)

The moronic survivors, absurd storage caps, and hypersensitive neighbors just make it hard to enjoy.

Let me know when the game is ACTUALLY finished/out of Beta.

Last edited:
absurd storage caps
...can you elaborate on this? Does it have to do with:
  • The speed in which resource overages decay?
  • Having no option to build a second storage facility?
  • Both? Something else?
IME the mini-fridge was a key contributor to my general storage strategy. Since they are +5 to Food and Meds (with power), pairing 2-3 of those with the firesafe storage, that leaves materials which can be stored in a van offsite. Or you can adding pallets if there's room for it. The weird issue for me is, since I'm running a long-term community (and ignoring the Legacy mission entirely for now) I tend to have a large facility slot that I don't really need for anything. So turning it into a staging area has made any extra materials fodder for parts.