SoD2 earns #7 spot on Angry Joe's Disappointing Titles for 2018.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
I think a lot of people were disappointed with the game. But is it a bad game?.... it's not really but it could have been so much better. Think of the Yose story being play out over 3 different maps in which we got to reconnect with some of our old friends from the first games and meet new ones that we fall in love with.

So yes I was disappointed but I don't dislike the game....I play it almost everyday and even stream it 2 to 3 times a week (on a break for now).

For me, a mere handful of tweaks could elevate SoD 2's base game to GREAT status.

Its multiplayer component, while not terrible, requires invasive surgery.

Overall, I really enjoy SoD 2.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. There are many good aspects to SoD2 when looked at individually that are improvements on the original (combat, base facilities and vehicles to name three), but for every positive there appears to be a corresponding negative which holds the game back.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. There are many good aspects to SoD2 when looked at individually that are improvements on the original (combat, base facilities and vehicles to name three), but for every positive there appears to be a corresponding negative which holds the game back.
I dunno, vehicles seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The upgrade kits are great, but the fuel consumption is beyond ridiculous and making vehicles able to self right as a "fix" for them randomly flipping over is cringe worthy.

I dunno, vehicles seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The upgrade kits are great, but the fuel consumption is beyond ridiculous and making vehicles able to self right as a "fix" for them randomly flipping over is cringe worthy.
Undoubtedly, and that's a great example of the corresponding negatives holding things back.

On one hand you have a much wider range of vehicles with different handling characteristics, better models, the upgrade system (limited but an improvement on SoD) and they just feel more fun to use.
On the other the self-righting is unrealistic and breaks any attempts at immersion, I'm personally not bothered by the fuel
consumption but many are, and I also dislike the ease of repairing a vehicle (the ease of almost all activities in the game remove most of the jeopardy you can potentially experience).

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
My biggest gripes about the combat in SoD2 are:

1) The movement is janky as fuck, making combat feel slow and clunky. It also has an effect on control input not sometimes reading (which also applies to trying to grab ladders and just walking off).

2) AI npc characters can interrupt your attacks and their character models can block your movement.

3) Zombie attacks have priority over player attacks, even if your attack is in the connecting animation.

4) Cinematic executions still move the camera away from where you have it pointed. I fucking hate that.

Personally, I just prefer the way combat feels in YOSE, but that isn't too say that SoD2 doesn't have anything good going for it.

Rebel36

Rescued Ally
I feel this game could have been great. It was and is a disappointment to me in its current form. The game design just doesn't flow smoothly. Maybe that is because it was designed to accommodate both single player and multi player in one game. I don't know. The game is still fun but the aggravation and frustration often outweigh the entertainment value. I hadn't played this game in months until recently because it felt like such an exercise in needless irritation. I want to really love this game. Instead, I have a love hate relationship with SOD2. Just when I am playing and having a great time making progress toward what I want to do, the game interrupts and does something infuriating. I don't have the freedom to play how I would like and accomplish the goals in the game.

The game punishes you over and over. Constant attacks at base because you are powerless to fortify anything. Cry baby enclaves, some of whom you didn't even know existed or had an issue. Lost resources because, well, just because. Add in the fact that new changes to zombie spawn rates seem out of balance and it makes for a less than great single player experience. Is the game playable? Yes, even somewhat enjoyable depending on how you like to play but you have to be able to overlook a lot of distractions.

SOD2 could be a great game. All that is needed would be to give the player more agency in the game. Reward us when we do things right and punish us when we make bad choices, but give us some control to make the choice. Right now I don't feel I have much control over what happens in the game. Everything nearly is an external choice being forced on me. Just not fun. There is much good also in SOD2. The music is fantastic. Great maps and environment. Decent (not great) shooting and fighting mechanics. Pretty good voice acting. Community characters you can easily become attached to as you play. Nicely modeled vehicles with good variety. I still play this game despite how it abuses me because I keep hoping it will get better. Please Undead Labs/Microsoft implement some of our suggestions and make this a game we can truly love. It can be done.

2) AI npc characters can interrupt your attacks and their character models can block your movement.
Yep, can't tell you how many times the NPC's decided to interrupt a kill animation only to leave the zed alone while it's lying on the ground. It's especially galling considering how apathetic the AI is to actually helping during combat.
3) Zombie attacks have priority over player attacks, even if your attack is in the connecting animation.
This is just the greatest of all bullshit moves. Two or more zeds can easily stun-lock your character and remove anywhere from a third to a half of their health before you can retaliate.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Yep, can't tell you how many times the NPC's decided to interrupt a kill animation only to leave the zed alone while it's lying on the ground. It's especially galling considering how apathetic the AI is to actually helping during combat.

This is just the greatest of all bullshit moves. Two or more zeds can easily stun-lock your character and remove anywhere from a third to a half of their health before you can retaliate.
Yep. Really sucks when you execute a zombie and have the knife in its skull, and a zombie scratch nullifies the attack.

DJB204

Alamo Rookie
I also dislike the ease of repairing a vehicle (the ease of almost all activities in the game remove most of the jeopardy you can potentially experience).
Hopefully the upcoming new difficulty mode will tinker with other areas of the game (like these activities) and not just focus on adding more zeds with less resources. For example: They should completely remove the instant-fix repair kit from the harder difficulty and at the same time reduce the speed at which vehicles can be repaired with regular repair kits. The amount of repairs a vehicle receives per repair-kit should be reduced a lot too.

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Hopefully the upcoming new difficulty mode will tinker with other areas of the game (like these activities) and not just focus on adding more zeds with less resources. For example: They should completely remove the instant-fix repair kit from the harder difficulty and at the same time reduce the speed at which vehicles can be repaired with regular repair kits. The amount of repairs a vehicle receives per repair-kit should be reduced a lot too.
By the dev's logic wouldn't increasing the zombie count mean they would have to further reduce the human NPCs? That was the reason they gave for the current reduction.
For fixing vehicles I'd prefer the original system of having to leave the car parked for some time. The idea of being able to explode a car then repair it in the field is just ridiculous to me, there is no tension of breaking your car out in the wild..