SoD 2 Lore: Scope of the Outbreak/Timeline

A bit annoyed today, was looking for something else lore related and found this again, and that part jumped out at me. They can't smell, according to Sasquatch, who is fairly well recognized as an 'expert' on the zombies.

And yet, now they do, and apparently that is all they use to determine whether or not to attack, as you can use the biological stuff to smell like them and be ignored, as well as making others smell like them and causing them to attack. How is it that it works both ways?

Lack of internal consistency with the lore is as bad as the total lack of actual story.
Holy crap. That logical inconsistency flew right over my head. Wow. What utter authorial malfeasance. (And I use the word "authorial" highly advisedly here.) I'm generally quite sharply attuned to whatever (fictional) narrative--novel, short story, play, stage-play, movie, tv show, opera, comic book, video game, etc.--engages my attention; the fact that I completely missed this catastrophe reveals (even to myself!) just HOW MUCH I don't give a fuck about SoD 2's risible plot and story pretenses.

Just . . . wow.

Last edited:
I think it was either all that water from mountain springs or maybe the H2.5O was only bottled and sold in the Trumbull Valley. But something stopped the Valley from going full blown blood plague hell. :unsure:
H2.50 was in Danforth too, but yeah I get what you mean. Still say it was bad writing though, with maybe a dash of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
H2.50 was in Danforth too, but yeah I get what you mean. Still say it was bad writing though, with maybe a dash of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
It's like every time anyone brings up story to UL.... Geoffrey says SoD has always been about your community and not the world it's set in. But that isn't true because in the first one it was about Trumbull Valley as a whole...yes our community was a part of a larger story that included different factions with very different points of view. The Wilkersons, the Judge , Becca, Doc, Ray and the Army all added to the overall story as a whole.

The problem with SoD2 the "story" enclaves really don't seem to add anything....they are just bland cookie cutter people with no back story. Take the hospital staff "We're whats left of the old hospital staff" and that's it....no time of when or even why. So they been wondering around for 15 months looking for a place? But it's ever worse than that.....everyone waited for us the player's community to show up before they decided to even have a plan. Lol the Doc's "Oh look they built a watchtower someone is going to fall off it and get hurt...we really should open a clinic". The mechanics " Damn that dude's car is smoking like a train...we should open a shop to fix cars".

So as the story goes from the moment Lily's group blew the wall and the last chopper left Danforth only the Network and Red Talon moved forward while the rest of the world just waited.

So as the story goes from the moment Lily's group blew the wall and the last chopper left Danforth only the Network and Red Talon moved forward while the rest of the world just waited.
Yeah, that's pretty much it according to the SoD2 narrative. Everyone else is a bunch of no talent losers who can't do a damn thing for themselves without using the player's group as a permanent crutch.

It's like every time anyone brings up story to UL.... Geoffrey says SoD has always been about your community and not the world it's set in. But that isn't true . . .
At this point, G. Card is little more than a politician; a carefully placed, friendly-faced, always smiling and cackling, mealy-mouthed propoganda tool for Microsoft. (Of course, this is obvious to anyone who's been even nominally attentive to the torrents of BS that have spewed obstreperously from the overworked hole under his nose during all the tiresome SoD 2 'streams he's hosted.) So it was pleasing to hear him actually admit it in UL's latest vid.

(Say what you want about Wonder [UL's all-but-invisible PR person, the twit who infamously implied that we OGs were an irrelevant Patriarchy], at least she came at us correct.)

Yeah, I'm now all but convinced that RTTV is fated to be a big, steaming turdheap.

Last edited:
Also, I can't be the only one who was dreadfully put off by all the self-congatulatory praise that Andy heaped upon himself and his "team" of 20 plus hacks. Ugggh. Talk about cringe elevated to Apotheosis.

To be perfectly frank, the "writing" in SoD 2 sucks. Plain and simple.

There's easily a handful of regular contributors' to this very forum whose fiction-writing abilities (technically and stylistically) are DEMONSTRABLY superior to the a-literary excretions shat out in SoD 2. And that's me putting the matter nicely.

Sorry, Andy.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
At this point, G. Card is little more than a politician; a carefully placed, friendly-faced, always smiling and cackling, mealy-mouthed propoganda tool for Microsoft. (Of course, this is obvious to anyone who's been even nominally attentive to the torrents of BS that have spewed obstreperously from the overworked hole under his nose during all the tiresome SoD 2 'streams he's hosted.) So it was pleasing to hear him actually admit it in UL's latest vid.
Keep it civil and respectful, with regard to all of the real humans behind the scenes of the game. Part of being under the thumb of a bigger corporation/boss is always playing the politician in the media, especially when media of all kinds can get you fired and blacklisted from the industry.

On topic, the "now zombies can smell" is probably an error made due to a conflict between the writers and the designers that were working on DLC. It would be far more troubling if the same writers who wrote the "zombies can't smell" line for Sasquatch wrote the DLC smell item... but then, JK Rowling has made this same retcon with regard to indoor plumbing in her books' universe.

Sometimes, you just start changing things to try to stay relevant, banking on your customers' short term memories...

So, we're pretty much in agreement that the plague consumables are stupid.

How would you guys have felt if they had introduced items that were more realistic, like night vision goggles, adrenaline shots, hunting scent blocker and stink bombs/hunting bait?
For anyone who can tough it out and actually watch the latest video, Card and co. go on at length about why, in their expert opinions, it was ridiculous (laughable, even) for anyone to think that NOGs would be a plausible asset in the zombie apocalypse.

I wasn't entirely convinced.

Last edited:

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
For anyone who can tough it out and actually watch the latest video, Card and co. go on at length as to why, in their expert opinions, it was ridiculous (laughable, even) for anyone to think that NOGs would be a plausible asset in the zombie apocalypse.

I would actually like to see/hear what they have to say on that.

So, suppressors, full auto guns and grenades are everywhere post-collapse, but night vision completely vanishes? I mean, even if they were a rare loot item available only in prepper stashes, the mil-surp stores or military caches, I could totally see you coming across some form of night vision optics, be it milspec goggles, a hunting scope or binocular/range finder at some point.

I'm pretty sure that even your local Bass Pro or Cabela's stocks night vision gear as well.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
They are all over the place, not even a specialty 'outdoors' type shop. Even Sears, Walmart, and Tru-Value hardware stores. Everything ranging from cheap goggles up to FLIR. They probably don't have the $5000+ versions just hanging around in the stores, so those would be hard to get, but the $100- stuff is all over.

For anyone who can tough it out and actually watch the latest video, Card and co. go on at length about why, in their expert opinions, it was ridiculous (laughable, even) for anyone to think that NOGs would be a plausible asset in the zombie apocalypse.

Wow. How out of touch with reality can they get? I can only presume that none of them have ever gone into a hunting/camping/outdoor shop, and have never heard of military surplus.

I gave up watching any of UL and UL affiliated streams, it was constantly a pile of corporate approved touchpoints (understandably so, they're employees who want to keep their jobs), but the chat about this latest one does intrigue me to see what the writer/s have to say for themselves

Brant shows up pretty early on and--as usual--provides straight-forward answers about various aspects of SoD 2's technical limitations.

I've always appreciated Brant's dry sense of humor, his accessibility, and his no-nonsense approach when talking about both State of Decay games. And I've said as much before.

There's a particular (SoD 2) pre-release Livestream that I'll always remember with a chuckle (and which confirmed my then-growing suspicion that Lifeline-like sieges were an INTEGRAL part of the new game). While Brant played, Card yammered on about how awesome it was to approach your base at night and see it all lit up (by electricity), and how the sight of it, after a night of treacherous scavenging, filled you with a sense of warmth, relief, and safety. Then, just as Brant entered the base--and just as Card uttered the word "safe"--a horde of zeds swarmed him (out of nowhere) and Brant, not missing a beat, muttered something like, Except you're really NOT safe at your base as the zeds ripped into him (and continued attacking for well over a minute).

Brant seemed a bit irked by the attack, actually, but as he attempted to explain his own opinion about the siege mechanic, his more staid and low-key voice was quickly washed out by Card's decibels. And so the upshot was this: we were treated to ample helpings of Card's contradictions re: how awesomely the new siege mechanic complemented the equally awesome feeling of safety one gets when at their base. But we never got to hear a single word from Brant on the matter. (And I got the distinct feeling Brant had some things to say about it.)

Last edited:

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
State of Decay 2 1_13_2019 3_17_56 PM.png
There are 2 types of blood plague cure in the game.... this one and the players homemade cure. In my eyes it could really only mean one thing the government found the cure then shared that knowledge. Also I see most the Red Talon broadcasts about the plague, it's cure and the US military as nothing more than propaganda. Red Talon I believe is out to seize and control of resources and people in order to gain control of the new world.

With Sassy being a part of Red Talon and not at the Capital.....I doubt he was under any real orders by the military but was instead working for RT. The military was in Danforth to get VIP's when Sassy was setting the nuke...but there were no members of RT to be found. Which would seem to point to the fact that RT knew about the nuke and pulled out. As for Mrs Weston's stoner son....maybe her RT goons grabbed the wrong person and her spy Sassy informed about her the Army still being there ;)

I may just be pulling order out of chaos since there is no real story in SoD2.

If anyone cares (not likely at this point) I picked up a scrap of paper from a Network trader today all but confirming a coming mutiny/revolt within the Network. Apparently, they aren't too fond of Lily's brand of optimism.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/gmutantx2001/video/66128040
Interesting but the note seems to indicate that any dissension is in the minority. There's no mention the author was writing for anyone but themselves, in fact the note points in the other direction. Still, narrative convention say you don't introduce something for no reason so conservation of narrative seems to indicate you may be on to something. Whether UL is planning to follow up is another matter.
COULD MY MAYA BE ALIVE?!!!?
My personal head cannon has The trio, Lily, Jacob, Karen Tolbert, Anson Hearst (mortuary owner); Amelia Crasman and Charley Marshall (descendant of the town founder) surviving.