SoD 2 Lore: Scope of the Outbreak/Timeline

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Looking through some of the SoD1 Timeline thread, I may have *possibly* identified some Easter Eggs.

1) Milwaukee was the first city abandoned in SoD lore. It was also abandoned fairly quickly in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. Possibly a nod.

2) Saint Louis was nuked. I don't recall all the details, but it could be a nod to the 1983 film, The Day After.

Edit: Scratch #2. KC was the center of attention in The Day After.

Burzum

Missing Survivor
I like to stick with the theory that the Blood Plague is somehow an evolution of Black Fever.

Zombies without Blood Plague are the result of actual physical death at the hands of the undead due to the virus skipping its incubation period therefore causing relatively immediate reanimation.

Zombies WITH Blood Plague are the result of people contracting black fever due to bites, scratches etc from the undead and if not effectively treated the virus, needing a 'live' host, takes hold of the body mutating the immune system resulting in death and reanimation BUT the virus having been able to lay its neccessary foundations continues to mutate the host causing various behavoural discrepensies such as brain swelling, causing the infected zed to do things such as headbutt walls, should the zombie succeed in breaking its skull and therefore rendering itself "dead" the virus secrets a pheromone that draws in other zeds who begin to eat the now dead Zombie but the infection incapacitates them while they eat forming a mound of now BP infected zombies who over time rot into one another thus creating a plague heart which in turn infects other zeds from the red mist emitting from the slowly rotting dead flesh, but due to each mutation being different this explains the connection between the plague heart and the infected zombies around it. In most cases, a zed turned by black fever infection becomes a "carrier" slowly becoming the BP infected however in SOME cases the mutation swings out of control and instead of "carriers" it in turn creates "freaks"

God i hope that makes sense lol

Christmas

Alamo Rookie
I like to stick with the theory that the Blood Plague is somehow an evolution of Black Fever.

Zombies without Blood Plague are the result of actual physical death at the hands of the undead due to the virus skipping its incubation period therefore causing relatively immediate reanimation.

Zombies WITH Blood Plague are the result of people contracting black fever due to bites, scratches etc from the undead and if not effectively treated the virus, needing a 'live' host, takes hold of the body mutating the immune system resulting in death and reanimation BUT the virus having been able to lay its neccessary foundations continues to mutate the host causing various behavoural discrepensies such as brain swelling, causing the infected zed to do things such as headbutt walls, should the zombie succeed in breaking its skull and therefore rendering itself "dead" the virus secrets a pheromone that draws in other zeds who begin to eat the now dead Zombie but the infection incapacitates them while they eat forming a mound of now BP infected zombies who over time rot into one another thus creating a plague heart which in turn infects other zeds from the red mist emitting from the slowly rotting dead flesh, but due to each mutation being different this explains the connection between the plague heart and the infected zombies around it. In most cases, a zed turned by black fever infection becomes a "carrier" slowly becoming the BP infected however in SOME cases the mutation swings out of control and instead of "carriers" it in turn creates "freaks"

We've already discussed what causes freaks, and the general consensus is that it's not evolution or a mutation because of Sasquach's dialog in Lifeline. If it was, "We'd see them once or twice". But we see them again, and again.

So here's a new theory, are there other "hearts" that produce said freaks?
It would make sense to me that the "Blueprint" Sasquach was talking about could take form in other hearts, or hives, that produce the same freak over and over.

Burzum

Missing Survivor
We've already discussed what causes freaks, and the general consensus is that it's not evolution or a mutation because of Sasquach's dialog in Lifeline. If it was, "We'd see them once or twice". But we see them again, and again.

So here's a new theory, are there other "hearts" that produce said freaks?
It would make sense to me that the "Blueprint" Sasquach was talking about could take form in other hearts, or hives, that produce the same freak over and over.
True, however, my theory on that is that certain genetic traits possess the key to the mutations, gastric problems > bloaters, blue eyes or a certain neurological issue > ferals etc

Fabian907

Alamo Rookie
Walker: Long term zombie
Infected: Brain hasn't transformed/died
Feral: Both Infected and athletic, dumb
Bloater: Pool partiers
Juggernaut: Ol' Redneck down the road
Screamer: My ex girlfriend that I'll never have.
Assuming that's how we get zombies.

A1icehatter

Rescued Ally

makes sense but my tired brain is like woooooah ... Not helpful input forgive me hahaha 🤣. You certainly know your zombie stuff !!

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I was rethinking the wildlife and there's a subtle hint in there.

All the dead cows are obviously eaten by the zombies, but never turned.

This means that it is far more likely to be a virus or disease ravaging the population and turning people into zombies and evolved versions of zombies. Parasites would be able to survive regardless of the host and there are very few diseases that transfer between humans and other animals, so the likelihood of it being a disease is much higher in State of Decay 2.