Sneak peak of new feature today

DumplingBadger

Alamo Rookie
FInally got around to watching the rest of the stream, and I'm going to give UL their due on this one - it's probably the best stream they have done this year. I think that is probably down to having some of the developer team there who actually appeared to know what they were talking about, and the insight (finally!) into how the difficulty is increased by in game progression. I gave up asking about that in streams over 18 months ago!

I feel the sliders are a good thing, though not as granular as I would prefer. It still means I will be able to play the game without the bollocks level of spawns you get in nightmare without the abundance of resources that are found in dread and below. Hopefully the forthcoming "ultra-hard" mode (the description when the ??? are selected) will reduce resources even further.

I also liked the sound of the tweaks in general to nightmare mode, making it slightly harder, and specifically to the hostile AI.

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
Some interesting things. If you are doing the 100 day nightmare challenge, but you’ve cleared the map, but don’t want to move you can increase a difficulty to ??? and then back, resetting your map, but keeping your base and parking space cars. Also Nightmare world and low action difficulty will give lots of rolls on plaque heart rolls for rare weapons, etc.
Any changes to your map setting resets the map and moves you to the starter base. The ??? setting is inactive and has no effect to the game at this time.

futurehermit

Rescued Ally
Red Zone confirmed.
Watched this. The guy playing on nightmare was terrible lol. Granted he was multitasking but I was like "this is why they don't get the hardcore community." Lol.

Really excited about red zone though. I figure if they add an additional 10-12 difficulty notches to the map slider, maybe it'll start to feel like an actual apocalypse and not a looting free for all.

One thing that I was kind of "huh?" about though was the standing and dynamic difficulty thing. Seems like it is going to take LONGER now for difficulty to ramp up on nightmare? They were saying TWO WEEKS?!? So I'm going to be able to clear the map 2-3x of all resources before difficulty maxes out? By that time my walking arsenal survivors aren't going to be fussed about the difficulty.

I want the game to do BETTER in the arms race not worse. Am I missing something?

Gmutant

Zed Hunter
This is gonna be a confusing one for Difficulty Achievements...
I may mess with this one a bit but we'll see what clustertrucks I can pull off.
Excellent question. I'm currently working on my 100 day nightmare run. I wonder how this will affect my run.

DumplingBadger

Alamo Rookie
Excellent question. I'm currently working on my 100 day nightmare run. I wonder how this will affect my run.
They did talk briefly about how the sliders will affect achievements - the difficulty level for achievements (and boons) is taken from the lowest slider you have set, so if you have one set to green and two to nightmare it would count as green difficulty level.

Clyde

Alamo Rookie
Any changes to your map setting resets the map and moves you to the starter base. The ??? setting is inactive and has no effect to the game at this time.
In the video he stayed at the Corner Office, correct? Did I miss one of the settings moving bases? I know they were at the starter base later. Is that why?

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
In the video he stayed at the Corner Office, correct? Did I miss one of the settings moving bases? I know they were at the starter base later. Is that why?
Yes you missed it around the 25:00 mark he sets all the settings to Dread and is moved to the starting base.

What changes did they make to nightmare?
Influence took a major nerf .....Hostiles won't first shot/head shot you anymore and out passed 60m they won't shoot like they were trained by Eagle Eye the Army sniper.

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
Okay. I concede that this new "slider" feature has potential. Natch, it remains to be seen. But on the surface, yeah, not bad.

And I'm still holding out for the THREE-WEAPONS-SHOWING animation and QUICK-WEAPON-SWITCH mechanic. The fact that UL actually gave me a DIRECT answer (in the positive) to my DIRECT question compels me to dream BIG.

It may be for naught. But I don't care. I'm daring to dream.

Cejao

Alamo Rookie
Okay. I concede that this new "slider" feature has potential. Natch, it remains to be seen. But on the surface, yeah, not bad.

And I'm still holding out for the THREE-WEAPONS-SHOWING animation and QUICK-WEAPON-SWITCH mechanic. The fact that UL actually gave me a DIRECT answer (in the positive) to my DIRECT question compels me to dream BIG.

It may be for naught. But I don't care. I'm daring to dream.
They did the same to me on the subject of a 5th skill slot retraining book.
I wanted it to remove the 5th skill from a survivor who originally had it empty, but you taught them a bad choice, so that a new skill book can be selected, without losing the good traits he/she came with and the hero bonus. Geoffrey told me it was on their radar. Im still waiting.
Less griping for them I guess if they say "Yes, Maybe" instead of a flat "No"

SailorWolf

Alamo Rookie
One thing that I was kind of "huh?" about though was the standing and dynamic difficulty thing. Seems like it is going to take LONGER now for difficulty to ramp up on nightmare? They were saying TWO WEEKS?!?
This depends on your play style if you take out hearts, do missions and build up your base early it should feel about the same. But if you spend say the first 2 or 3 days just looting a map and move to a new one then yes it will take longer. My understanding of the change is it's due to Influence and the fact some people complained that after 7 to 10 days into nightmare what the point of playing it anymore cause it's as hard as it's going to get. People who play with out boons a lot should love this because the ramp up will better match your groups progression.

But with the new difficulty that's coming out most die hard nightmare players I've talk to are moving to it, if that is truly the case then any changes to nightmare are kind of mute. What worries us is just how good a job they do on the aka Red Zone ;)

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
They came so close to greatness with the sliders...I mean, so very, very close. All they had to do was separate the zombies, Freaks & Blood Plague stuff and the combat into their own sliders for this to be the update that renews my love for this franchise. Maybe eventually they'll listen to people who will surely ask for this, but as it is now it's just enough to slightly renew my interest in this again, at least for a little while.

futurehermit

Rescued Ally
This depends on your play style if you take out hearts, do missions and build up your base early it should feel about the same. But if you spend say the first 2 or 3 days just looting a map and move to a new one then yes it will take longer. My understanding of the change is it's due to Influence and the fact some people complained that after 7 to 10 days into nightmare what the point of playing it anymore cause it's as hard as it's going to get. People who play with out boons a lot should love this because the ramp up will better match your groups progression.

But with the new difficulty that's coming out most die hard nightmare players I've talk to are moving to it, if that is truly the case then any changes to nightmare are kind of mute. What worries us is just how good a job they do on the aka Red Zone ;)
Yeah for sure. I'll be moving to the new difficulty as well. In 7-10 days on nightmare without boons, I've pretty much cleared most all of the map. At least searched 3/4 of it and maxed out base. Plague hearts too but if I left the hearts alone, I'm still not needing another week or two for the difficulty to finish ramping up. Just seemed like an odd one. Not sure what casuals are doing for all that play time.