Red Zone thoughts.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Also, what is the point of Heartland now?
The STORY, remember?
What's a Heartland?

Here's the full narrative of my experience with Heartland.

Game - "Intro, here're some plague zed"
Me - kills them
Game - "Oh look, a feral"
Me - Head shots the feral
Game - "Now it's a mad feral"
Me - "What? I shot it in the head!"
Game - "Yeah, and now it's mad."
Me - "Fuck you."
Game - "No, fuc...."
Me - Quits to desktop

DumplingBadger

Alamo Rookie
A quick rundown of what I remember:-

• Yep, got to re-earn boons for Lethal, just the same as you had to for Dread and Nightmare.
  • More plague hearts on the map (34 iirc?).
  • Destroying a plague heart will NOT kill all the plague zeds and freaks nearby.
  • Plague hearts have more health (a Devgru will not take one down in one magazine).
  • Explosives do less damage to plague hearts (a third of the damage compared to standard iirc).
  • 5 minute blood plague timer.
  • Cars can take around six zombie impacts before setting on fire.
  • More locations pre-looted.
Some slightly more humorous thoughts:-
  • They really don't like responding to Mad Dog Kelso's questions!
  • Joe is probably the best UL staff member I've seen playing the game.
  • They kept emphasising that Leathal is super hard, and how you will loose multiple fresh start characters/communities in a new game.
  • They also say they have beta testers who have already speed run the maps on the new difficulty...
  • Can Brant really ne as bad at the game as he makes out?
  • If Geoffrey Card is on a sabbatical why the hell is he watching the stream and commenting in chat?!

Last edited:

Maltriagon

Alamo Rookie
This mode seems pretty cool. I don't think I could live with a fresh community but it might sate my need to get absolutely destroyed. I kinda like just playing and seeing how long until I fail. Something I couldn't do on nightmare because it's easy enough to survive, even with a fresh community.
Maybe make a goal of taking an experienced community into this difficulty.
Also this mode will work really well with the sliders. Keeping max loot on with this difficulty would be a blast.

Gmutant

Zed Hunter
Hey that looks cool. New crossbow and a lotta rifles. Looks like a shotgun as well. I really liked that the cowboy pack added stuff to the loot table. It was a pleasant surprise as I have had my head in a hole for a while.
Also looks like a new facility mod in there, bottom right corner.

I haven't even touched Heartland in almost a year. Not because I don't want to, but because I've been tied up with this fucking 100 days bullshit in Nightmare for the past 5 months or so...

I'm not a fan of endurance achievements in games. If they tied it to something cool, like unique facilities mods and boon cards, etc. then maybe surviving 100+ days might be worth it.

All criticism aside, I'll at least give it a shot. Nightmare is ridiculously easy, so I highly doubt this will be any different.

I am curious to see what other kinds of 'game changing' updates they have in store for this game.

New maps? New game mechanics?

DumplingBadger

Alamo Rookie
I think to get the full effect you'd have to play it with a fresh community with that being said I'm sure a lot of people won't lol. Wish I could talk more about it (Drives me crazy) but I can only say "Go to https://undeadlabs.com/contact/ and sign up as a beta tester"
That would be great if the beta testing wasn't limited to people playing via Steam (which is ironic if you think about how long it took to come to Steam :LOL:)

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
That would be great if the beta testing wasn't limited to people playing via Steam (which is ironic if you think about how long it took to come to Steam :LOL:)
As a beta-tester for Lifeline and YOSE, I learned that using Steam is a much wiser option, as they can update as often and rapidly as they want. Whereas going through MS, requires weeks to get through certification. Even a one kb file has to go through cert, so Steam really is a better option in this circumstance.