Project Codename: The Artist

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Firstly, many thanks to everyone who has done testing work with me and for me on the alphas these past couple months.

I'm shifting the updates to this thread and the alphas are going away for a little while so I can settle into the writing and knock out a good chunk of it this upcoming week while I'm between jobs (found a new position, starts Sept 10th). As of this latest update, I'll be focusing solely on the side of my serial killer. There is an FBI Agent side-story as well that will come later on.

The Story: You will assume the role of The Artist, a talented individual with a twisted desire to show off their greatest masterpiece. A piece of living art that can only be brought to life through the death of others; chase the dream of a sociopathic mind and try to come out the other side without being scarred too badly.

8/30/2018 Diagram of Choices (this only leads up to 2 of the 11 planned kills):
Diagram.PNG

8/30/2018 The Stats:
Stats.PNG

8/30/2018 More Stats:
  • Current number of endings: 6
  • Current number of canvases: 6
  • Current number of artistic choices: 10
  • Estimated amount of total passages (pages) on completion: ~551*
  • Estimated final word count on completion: 154,280*
Expected Platforms/Stores: Steam, Humble Bundle (Steam/DRM-Free), Itch.io/Draakdorei.com (DRM-Free), Android, iOS

*Estimation based on current numbers only

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
What sort of game is it? The stats are impressive already and I’m sure we’ll see great things develop.

For me (if I was a serial killer) the best art piece to do would be like one of those big art attacks made from skeletal parts. It displays the ultimate proficiency in murder, art and wind speed prediction.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
What sort of game is it? The stats are impressive already and I’m sure we’ll see great things develop.
Choose your own adventure game, so the player plays the serial killer and tries to finish their work without being caught or killed. Text-based game, using Twine, same engine as Depression Quest.

Edit:

For me (if I was a serial killer) the best art piece to do would be like one of those big art attacks made from skeletal parts. It displays the ultimate proficiency in murder, art and wind speed prediction.
I was very iffy on this to start...but after thinking about it, it would make a nice reason to take souvenirs from every kill and I could involve far more kills than originally planned...

Last edited:

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
@chikawowwow (or anyone else for that matter) Any suggestions on what to create with that big art attack? I was trying to think of how I would preserve the corpses' skin and maybe a couple bones from each to make it. The internal parts of the bodies and majority of the bones are already assigned for other things.

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
@chikawowwow (or anyone else for that matter) Any suggestions on what to create with that big art attack? I was trying to think of how I would preserve the corpses' skin and maybe a couple bones from each to make it. The internal parts of the bodies and majority of the bones are already assigned for other things.
It depends on what your serial killer's motivations are. You could do something with the occult and sigil magick if it fits the behaviour. Sigil magick is basically using a sigil to manifest something in reality, but there is a charging ritual of focusing energy into it to give it power. Perhaps your killer uses the bones or w/e to give the sigil power.
Most occult stuff like this isn't dark / evil but if you want some really disturbing ideas from the dark side then maybe look into Aleister Crowley's doctrines.

This is the shortest video I could find that explains the ideas of sigil magick.

I can't come up with a "big" art attack, but something along the lines of recreating a hand, one bone from each victim, seems like it would tie in to your Artist mentality

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
The Artist works off a childhood game between the player and the brother. The rules of the game are:
  1. Pick a living canvas.
  2. Pick a name for the art piece to use as a theme.
  3. Stream or video record the process and post it online.
  4. Get rated on a scale of 1-5, from terrible to great.
  5. Anything rated less than a 4 means you lose the round and it's the next person's turn.

For the final artwork... I am leaning towards something questionable, just not sure what yet. Sigils and the occult are generally overdone and I don't want to stereotypically toss more darkness onto Wiccans and those who use sigils for peaceful magicks and centering of themselves.

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
For the final artwork... I am leaning towards something questionable, just not sure what yet. Sigils and the occult are generally overdone and I don't want to stereotypically toss more darkness onto Wiccans and those who use sigils for peaceful magicks and centering of themselves.
Fair enough, I don't read any fiction so I'm not familiar with what tropes are overused. I certainly wouldn't intend on aiding a distorted view of the occult.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
9/20/2018 Stats Update:
1537424707072.png

Currently looking at breaking into an episodic release... about five episodes total (though they'll all be done by initial release), with mobile pricing of a sort.

$0.99 for the first episode and every individual episode after as DLC
$3.99 to get all 4 remaining episodes
$4.99 for the entire bundle

With a goal of ~100k words for each episode and a decent chunk of choices (75-100), including non-lethal ones. Since it's being written in Twine currently, I may also look at porting it over to Android (maybe iOS) after release with the first episode being free.

I'm also already considering all the different Steam achievements to write out for it...and how much arm twisting, I'll have to do to get @QuarantineRoad to make some Steam cards.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
9/28/2018 Update
1538172177364.png

Scrapped the episodic idea because trying to make that work in Twine and with Steam was too frustrating overall.

On the upside, your choices matter more and a memory system is now included so you can review special circumstances like the workshop, important coworkers and your scores. There is also a randomization factor now when making your kills, so sometimes you may miss something (like a loose finger) or score lower than your brother, making you lose the game and having to play backseat to his desires for a round of the game.