Project Codename: Devine

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Edit: Rebuilt and dug out a section on my studio Discord for discussion on this game: Merged this into The Alamo discord

As I said in The Alamo: Survivor Stories thread, I have also been working on a MUD for the past year on/off as a side project to The Artist.

General plot: In 2025, a massive solar storm, named by survivors as Death's Aurora, collides with the Earth. The astronauts on the space station report increased radiation, dozens of times denser than previous storms before communication is lost. Orbiting satellites short out and free fall, causing numerous injuries as they break up in the atmosphere and create airborne shrapnel. Within hours of the satellite loss, the coronal mass ejection interacts with Earth's magnetic field, generating an electromagnetic pulse that fries power grids across the world. With the world's communication and transportation being sent back to the dark ages, it is unsurprising that news of the secondary effect of the pulse are localized. The pulse that fried the power grids also dissipated enough electrical energy into the ground to reanimate corpses across the world, forcibly evolving microscopic organisms in the corpses into a new species starved for higher quality electrical impulses, like those found in the living.

Here's the current stats on it:
  • 1,611 rooms (represents a 1x1 mile area, still expanding)
  • 9 enemy types (still expanding)
  • 488 items (still expanding)
Codebase: RanvierMud 2.0.0
Language: NodeJS, Javascript
Combat: Real-time, round-based
Classes: None, classless system
Levels: None, levelless system
Races: Human only
Skills: Basics available to all, specials awarded through combat and discovery

Recruiting: Area Builders, Item Descriptors, Coders (expand combat system, rewrite class/level/skills)

Last edited:

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
Recruiting: Area Builders, Item Descriptors, Coders (expand combat system, rewrite class/level/skills)

I'm happy to help with anything although I don't code in JS, just C++ right now, and I'm from Essex so me describing objects would probably lead to undesired results. In seriousness though I am happy to help, as I've said before.

Insight into the native Essex tongue.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I'm happy to help with anything although I don't code in JS, just C++ right now, and I'm from Essex so me describing objects would probably lead to undesired results. In seriousness though I am happy to help, as I've said before.
I do have NPC survivors already planned and planning to have them talk among themselves sometimes, so players can walk into stories being told. If you aren't confident on the area building side, you're welcome to write up some character NPCs and dialogue for them.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
I'm on vacation for the next 8 days. I'd go for area building and item descriptions. Once I'm back to work though, I don't know how much time I'll have to help, but that's another day.

P.S. We should have a section here (or discord) for discussion and idea bouncing.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I'm on vacation for the next 8 days. I'd go for area building and item descriptions. Once I'm back to work though, I don't know how much time I'll have to help, but that's another day.

P.S. We should have a section here (or discord) for discussion and idea bouncing.
Good idea! I setup a Discord for it but I'm thinking I'll do a sub-section here as well since Discord has limits on file size and I can change the size limits here if required.

Edit: Section setup and some of the items, NPCs, areas, etc posted up

Last edited:

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Have you got a world guide or GDD you can send me?
I do not...but I can certainly work something up this week. I've got to do some redesigns for my website anyway before PAX South so I'll post it all into a readable webpage before then. There's also some NPCs posted in the Project Devine NPC forum, though they're the basic newbie fillers right now.
https://www.draakdorei.com/forums/forums/npcs.41/

The main city of Devine is spawned from a military base so there is a great amount of variety in people and cultures (or so is the intent).

chikawowwow

Alamo Rookie
I do not...but I can certainly work something up this week. I've got to do some redesigns for my website anyway before PAX South so I'll post it all into a readable webpage before then. There's also some NPCs posted in the Project Devine NPC forum, though they're the basic newbie fillers right now.
https://www.draakdorei.com/forums/forums/npcs.41/

The main city of Devine is spawned from a military base so there is a great amount of variety in people and cultures (or so is the intent).
You don't have to make any documentation on my account I was just asking the question. I'll PM you some queries.
Fortunately I'm on leave until Thursday so should have plenty of time to work on this for you.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
You don't have to make any documentation on my account I was just asking the question. I'll PM you some queries.
Fortunately I'm on leave until Thursday so should have plenty of time to work on this for you.
Post your questions in the General Discussion (or whatever sub is more appropriate). You should have access now.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I appreciate that!

The lore is open for public consumption, especially since the maps and guides will be available through my website and here on the forums.

I'm working on building out the map to a bigger state. I'm aiming for something at the level of Bedford Falls (from PZ) as a starting point for the MUD size.