Patch 3.0 live

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
So, played another couple of hours... more new problems.

It is using way more memory than it was pre-patch, possibly related to the next problem.

Three times it has started to stutter, and slowly over thirty seconds or so dropped to the point where it was barely responding. It does not recover, and you have to exit and restart. Leaving it alone and waiting cases it to crash to desktop without saving. Exiting when in this condition causes it to take 3-5 minutes to finish the exit process.

Even when running normally, exiting the game takes much longer than before.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
They seem to bury the patches/fixes by creating new files to overlap the old ones. If that was the case, why not overwrite the script or rewrite it as a whole?

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
At this point, it is probably safe to just say that they either don't know what they are doing, and never took the time to learn how the engine actually works, or, they are using some sort of project management system that keeps the individuals from actually effectively communicating with each other.

This leads to some obvious bloating and problems in the game. A simple example is the resources folder, which has the load screen logos. They include specific resources to use for German, Italian, American English, Australian English, Russian, Spanish, and one more that I don't know what it stands for (pt-BR?). Brazilian Portuguese. These aren't separate audio or caption files, just the logo images. There are seven subdirectories, and all of them contain the same exact contents, byte for byte... plus the four identical additional copies that are actually used.

ResourceImages.jpg

Now, these are not big, so they aren't taking up a lot of space (0.6Mb total). But why are they there? They don't need to exist at all.

Last edited:

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
This leads to some obvious bloating and problems in the game. A simple example is the resources folder, which has the load screen logos. They include specific resources to use for German, Italian, American English, Australian English, Russian, Spanish, and one more that I don't know what it stands for (pt-BR?). These aren't separate audio or caption files, just the logo images. There are seven subdirectories, and all of them contain the same exact contents, byte for byte... plus the four identical additional copies that are actually used.
pt-BR is Brazilian Portuguese and likely one of the more popular dialects of it.

That does make me curious about why there is an American English and an Australian English edition. Didn't they change all the names for everything to fit Aus across all versions this time around?

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
pt-BR is Brazilian Portuguese and likely one of the more popular dialects of it.

That does make me curious about why there is an American English and an Australian English edition. Didn't they change all the names for everything to fit Aus across all versions this time around?
Yeah, I just looked it up and changed it.

I would imagine the difference is in the captioning, stuff like armor and armour, color and colour. But those are all in a completely different area. The logos are identical.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Reading over the patch notes again and I thought the UX/UI lead designer specifically stated on stream that they couldn't get sorting to work properly without rebuilding the inventory system or ripping out another feature of the game.

• The Supply Locker is now automatically sorted by item type. Additionally, the Ranged Weapons tab has the option to sort by either ammo caliber or weapon type.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
Reading over the patch notes again and I thought the UX/UI lead designer specifically stated on stream that they couldn't get sorting to work properly without rebuilding the inventory system or ripping out another feature of the game.

• The Supply Locker is now automatically sorted by item type. Additionally, the Ranged Weapons tab has the option to sort by either ammo caliber or weapon type.
I seem to remember them saying something similar.

C++ sorting:

std::sort(listtosort.begin(), listtosort.end());

That is the entirety of the code necessary to perform an alphabetical sort. It is a built in function. To sort by type then alphabetically, it is simply an additional parameter added at the end.

I'll look into downloading this tomorrow. Though a few thoughts based on the patch notes. Glad to see outpost numbering is back, though why they had to relearn that lesson is baffling. Also, great to hear ammo won't be wasted when salvaging weapons. It was a minor annoyance at best, but those bullets do add up over time.

Inventory sorting could be a godsend or disaster depending on how its implemented. Tentatively I'm happy with the addition, though I'll make a final judgement only when I've seen it in action. I really like the idea of not getting back the full influence investment when cancelling outposts. 60% seems a decent comprise.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
For those that haven't play SOD2 in a while (I haven't since end of June) will this bring you back? I'll probably check it out again but there really isn't anything new to peak my interest again.
At a glance I doubt it. I mean good on them for clean ups but nothing here gets to what I think are the core game play problems. It's not conclusive, there's still some hope, but this does reinforce my hunch that at heart they don't think anything's very wrong.
... or ripping out another feature of the game.
First person to find the removed system wins a free kick in the teeth!

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
I just hope the amount of patching this game has required isn't cutting into time spent on an actual story mode. I really want to love this game, but I'm not into multiplayer so I'm not part of the intended demographic, apparently. Here's hoping a DLC eventually comes along with solo players in mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

It looks ike they've screwed somethig with spawning NPC's for missions, as I've had three now where there have been no characters present in the location after the mission pings, and one (Warlord: Weapons for All) where one of the three NPC's spawn in but not the one I need to talk to.

demonbreather

Missing Survivor
are we still in late 1700s Boston or have they patched down the revolutionary zeds stuff?
I started a new game about an hour ago and I'm still seeing the idiotic redcoats about one in fifteen zeds.
UL: Please make a toggle for this feature that I'm sure nobody requested! Why did you choose to make LARPing zombies the most iconic feature of the game???

spacemousetw

Rescued Ally
I started a new game about an hour ago and I'm still seeing the idiotic redcoats about one in fifteen zeds.
UL: Please make a toggle for this feature that I'm sure nobody requested! Why did you choose to make LARPing zombies the most iconic feature of the game???
Well, UL always said:we don't have this problem, guess that is a rare problem.:ROFLMAO:

Rebel36

Rescued Ally
Looks like the patch did make some good changes. As with previous patches though, I wonder if it's another two steps forward, three steps back scenario. They still didn't address some of the more needed fixes for the game, getting rid of so many revolutionary war zombies, irritating fate card frequency, incessant infestation spawn and respawn rates, the ridiculous breakdown occurrences of weapons, the inability to actually build your base as you would like, among other things.
I watched Geoff's stream explaining the patch notes and I had to laugh, because he couldn't even demonstrate the changes included through his game play without being attacked continuously in his base by zeds. Another issue which should have been addressed IMO. You need a safe zone around your base and outposts. They did kind of nerf the usefulness of outposts by taking away some influence when you abandon them. Sure they can give you a place to switch out items and characters and provide a small amount of resources or a couple of beds, but I found them more useful as a short term drop off than a long term outpost. If they provided a safe area, as in the first game, you could use against zeds to make your home base more secure that would have been better. As is they don't seem of much real value to me.
I honestly don't think we will see any of these needed corrections because UL/MS doesn't see any problem with the game in its' current state and they aren't really listening to us any more. Again, I hope I am wrong but I don't believe so.

Last edited: