Other Games Besides State of Decay

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
still playing skyrim SE with mods, onto my third new character now cause i keep fucking up my savegames with new mods haha
bored of it now though need something new

assassins creed odyssey is looking good and i wants divinity original sin 2 but they both 109 bucks at moment, cant afford
sucks cause we have a long weekend this weekend with labour day and then another next weekend with marlborough anniversary and i got nothing to play :(
just straight up bored of everything at the moment

whens a new borderlands coming dammit, thats good mindless fun

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Just checked my Steam, last played OG Skyrim 6/11/16. Never even fired up SE. Skyrim was "neat', but it felt...hollow. Not as fleshed out as it should/could have been.

AC:Odd just strikes me as a money-grab. It looks so much like AC: Origins, that it really just seems like they retooled it to push out another $60 title. I just don't know if there's enough substance there to warrant the purchase.

Just started Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Haven't played a AAA in a while, so I hope I'm not disappointed. Truth, I'm rarely disappointed with TR games. Been playing since the very first and I've enjoyed every single iteration since.

osamaclees

Rescued Ally
Just checked my Steam, last played OG Skyrim 6/11/16. Never even fired up SE. Skyrim was "neat', but it felt...hollow. Not as fleshed out as it should/could have been.

AC:Odd just strikes me as a money-grab. It looks so much like AC: Origins, that it really just seems like they retooled it to push out another $60 title. I just don't know if there's enough substance there to warrant the purchase.

Just started Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Haven't played a AAA in a while, so I hope I'm not disappointed. Truth, I'm rarely disappointed with TR games. Been playing since the very first and I've enjoyed every single iteration since.
totally agree about skyrim, but skyrim with mods thats a completely different story (seems common with beth games of late FO4 completely crap (IMO) but with mods alot of fun)

never played any AC games except unity which came free with the bone and that suuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd
dont know much about odyssey cept its looks (amzing on PC, great on xbox, meh on PS) although kevin van ord who used to review RPGs on gamespot rated it quite highly and honestly ever since i discovered gamespot like 10+ years ago ive found ive very similar tastes re his reviews
if he likes ill like if he doesnt i wont ususally shrug

have heard shadow of the tomb raider is not very good im afraid to say but cant say for myself and everybodys likes/dislikes different etc
really nothing im looking forward to at all, think im pretty jaded with the games industry at the moment
only divinity original sin 2 am i actually looking forward to, just hope it doesnt drag towards the end like the first one did

borobomb

Alamo Rookie

To be fair most sequels or yearly games are just the previous years game with some new options.

Plus AC Origins was a fantastic game. So that give Odyssey a good head start since it is based off a great framework. Odyssey has some pretty cool new tweaks/add ons. You can "engrave" weapons to add modifiers to suit how you play. They also added choices to the dialog that affect the game (although I'm still early in so I'm not sure how much) It has naval combat elements like AC black flag and you can also pick a side and join the athens vs sparta war (or flip flop back and forth like I do to make extra money and loot)

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Atomic Society was released on Steam a few days ago. As usual I forgot. Downloaded it today.
There's some new things in it, which is good. Especialy a way to cull the "survivors" who just keep endlessly pouring in non-stop.
Helps with the raiders, too. Don't want raiders? Exile all non-believers of your religion which really cuts the population down, lol. Just don't build too much too fast otherwise you won't have workers, as I found out 😂 Oops.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
Stupid amazon hasn't given me my preorder digital code yet so I can start downloading it. Doubt I'll be able to play tonight if it's that large.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Reading about how relatively slow the gameplay is... I think I'm going to pass on RDR2. It's not a game that I would ever think to replay but the first time through players seem to be trudging through the first three hours before anything happens that makes them want to continue the game. It sounds like it is purposely built to surpass the refund timer for Steam and other platforms with timed refunds...but really, it was probably done intentionally to increase the immersion of it.

On a side rant, it's amusing to me how many people praise Rockstar for their amazing games. Of their catalog, I've only ever played Red Dead Redemption, Oni, LA Noire, GTA IV and Max Payne; and of those titles, I can't tell you anything about their stories... I couldn't even get through the entirety of LA Noire or Max Payne. GTA IV looked good but the cars drove terribly (to me) so I refunded it and went back to Saints Row and State of Decay where the driving was better.

On a what I'm playing now... playing through Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition since it's been in my to-play list for years and I loved the original version.

Edit: Watched some gameplay of RDR2 instead of just reading about it... and yeah, I'm going to pass on the game until it hits PC and gets some mods to speed things up. I don't have the patience for the animations and slow (clunky) reactions to everything that the MC does. I had the same issue when watching that medieval game where you start as a peasant (can't remember the name). That level of slow immersive experience is one that I just don't enjoy much.

Last edited:

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
I have been spending a lot of time with Stellaris.

It has a couple of issues. The biggest drawback is price... it is fairly expensive if you get all of the expansions. It is also quite slow when starting a game.

But, it is infinitely moddable, so for those of you who like to tinker with their games, it is a paradise.

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
So I have come up for air from Red Dead Redemption 2...to me, it's an amazing game but I can see how it's not for everyone. I notice a lot of complaints about the extra animations adding time to doing anything, and the sim aspects taking up time and annoying people, and I can understand, they can be fairly valid complaints, especially if you're coming off GTAV or the original RDR, or even Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

However, as a long time Bethesda game player, all my games, especially Skyrim and Fallout 4, were filled with mods to do the exact same things RDR2 is doing in its base game. More animation in movement and doing things, needing to eat, sleep, bathe, ect...all the things that seem to be the more popular mods out there. It's great to me, but I can definitely see how it might not be someone else's cup of tea.

On to other games, No Man's Sky is killing it, getting ready to drop yet another huge update. Man, if only Undead Labs had a quarter of the hustle and dedication to their fans and to improving their product like Hello Games does...:sneaky:

Also, it's only a few weeks until Black Friday...anyone else have plans to scoop up some stuff that they wanted but either thought the asking price was too much at the time or just had their plate full and knew they wouldn't be able to play it as much as it deserved for the full price? Forza Horizon 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider (maybe, dunno since apparently they toned down on the amount of combat), and God of War are the ones I'm eying, with Just Cause 4 and Darksiders 3 if I see them on a decent sale.

Last edited:
On a side rant, it's amusing to me how many people praise Rockstar for their amazing games.
Yeah, I'm with you on this bit. Their games tend towards being massive technical achievements but the gameplay is fiercely regressive in some key areas. Controls and tutorials come to mind.
No Man's Sky is killing it, getting ready to drop yet another huge update.
When Hello Games announced No Man's Sky I was super skeptical of what they were selling and the post-launch release debacle that followed confirmed my worst fears. However, with every massive update since, the game has been growing closer to what was initially promised and my interest in the title has been growing.

Fabian907

Alamo Analytic
My friend who is 15 and vulgar, played Red Dead Redemption 2, he was also skeptical and played for as much as he could, he said there was a bit of a learning curve, controls can be a bit off, and sometimes there are missions where it can be repetitive. He also found himself hating the game but loving it as it had a slow start and builds off from there. That’s from what I heard him say and I’ve seen gameplay from his streams, it’s very good looking and I found myself laughing my ass off to skinned animals. Not because of cruelty but the way the main character carries the corpse.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (maybe, dunno since apparently they toned down on the amount of combat)
It is definitely less about human killing in the game. There's a specific point in each game that always gives me chills and I absolutely love that. It's usually centered around having the option to run through an area that could provide jump scares or just be done really stealthily and still be suspenseful, but scary. Shadow had two areas like that and it reminded me of the first time playing Resident Evil. I was walking and expecting the dogs to jump through the hallway window (Resident Evil reference, not a spoiler) while traversing an area.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
My friend who is 15 and vulgar, played Red Dead Redemption 2, he was also skeptical and played for as much as he could, he said there was a bit of a learning curve, controls can be a bit off, and sometimes there are missions where it can be repetitive. He also found himself hating the game but loving it as it had a slow start and builds off from there. That’s from what I heard him say and I’ve seen gameplay from his streams, it’s very good looking and I found myself laughing my ass off to skinned animals. Not because of cruelty but the way the main character carries the corpse.
I picked up RDR2 last week. And, yes, it's very slow to start. Chapter 1 is essentially the tutorial and completely on-rails, which is probably what draws some of the negative comments when this is an open world game. The details though...wow! About those carcasses, I noticed that your clothes get bloody when you sling them over your shoulder after skinning. So does your saddle blanket if you stow the carcass on your horse. That's some attention to detail, folks.
It is definitely less about human killing in the game. There's a specific point in each game that always gives me chills and I absolutely love that. It's usually centered around having the option to run through an area that could provide jump scares or just be done really stealthily and still be suspenseful, but scary. Shadow had two areas like that and it reminded me of the first time playing Resident Evil. I was walking and expecting the dogs to jump through the hallway window (Resident Evil reference, not a spoiler) while traversing an area.
Gotta say, I'm feeling this iteration of TR is much more like the originals and I'm kinda happy about that. It's more about the exploration and puzzle solving, which is what I loved in the originals. My least favorites were the ones that were more about running and gunning.