Other Games Besides State of Decay

Virgel

Rescued Ally
Discuss games other than State of Decay here.

Anyone else heard of and/or looking forward to Insurgency - Sandstorm releasing later this year?
I was gifted a copy of the original Insurgency, but I've never had a chance to try it out. I've been very hesitant as my laptop is basically incapable of running anything.

That said, I had the chance to try out the alpha for Hunt: Showdown by Crytek at the lowest possible settings and it's shaping up to be an interesting game! Perhaps not worth a buy right now (as it's early access), but something to look out for.

DicheBach

Rescued Ally
I seem to recall buying Insurgency and giving it a whirl. Rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I am hard to please when it comes to FPS format games. They need to be "rich," meaning they are more than just a shooter or I grow tired of them quickly.

I've been on a return to Supreme Ruler Ultimate here lately.

Last edited:

DicheBach

Rescued Ally
Watched that Insurgency video. Looks good! Is there a rich singleplayer mode?

No interest in multiplayer PVP in games like that.

ADDIT: ah, so a focus on PVP, as I expected. Nope, no interest.

Dhamptastic

Rescued Ally
Yesterday I started replaying Far Cry 4 after being frustrated replaying Empire Total War (with Darthmod) as impossibly outmatched minor states.

These Ubisoft guys have the video game thing down pat. It's just a set of formulas repeated ad nauseum. Big empty map, capture hamlet, skin animal, collect meaningless doodad, climb tower, repeat endlessly.

But... somehow... that's comforting. I definitely understand why popular gaming is composed of cookie-cutter games. I love quirky platformers, epic conquest, walking simulators which stretch the definition of "game" into unique art, brutal survival roguelites, immersive sim RPGs. But there is also virtue in the familiar, the predictable, the mundane.

tried to get Need for Speed: Underground 1 and Underground 2 along with Carbon...

But these three games. ARE NOT on steam. Not on GOG.com... and I am not shelling out $70 on Ebay or amazon...

I found three free download links. (1.8 gb -5.4 gb sizes) but... no captcha box to put in my code... and that stops me from getting the games...

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I've mostly been playing Mount & Blade Warband and Legends of Ellaria. The last one is early access so rather rough at the moment. The look of it, to me, is a lot like Ark: Survival Evolved. Glary, shimmery and hurts my eyes a bit. Runs really smooth for me, though, unlike for other people who constantly complain about lag.
But most of my time lately has been in Warband. I've 3 saves on the go - 1 with my own kingdom, 1 with the Vaegirs and 1 female (sexism turned on, lol) unaligned to anyone, just a merc for now.

Dhamptastic

Rescued Ally
I've lost a lot of my free time, but anyone here getting into Far Cry 5? It looks absolutely wicked.
I had it preordered, but refunded it the day it was released. And I'm kind of regretting it because it does look really good and people whose opinions I sort of align with say it's really good. But Ubi has a new always-on anti-cheating/DRM thing that stops you from playing with the single player side of the game. I'll wait for a sale, and for a reliable way to get around the new annoyance.

I got a few good opinions of it from friends as well and just got it last night to give me something to do while I'm living out of my own house for the moment (paid house-sitting is the best side job) and so far it has been good. I like the fact that you can own cars and there is more weapons than Far Cry 3 to play with and customize (never played 4 to compare).

I'm impressed with the work done to the soundtrack. The cult music genuinely sounds like great gospel hymns until you actually listen to the dismal lyrics.

Only criticism so far is that a lot of the repeatedly generated stuff (kidnapped citizens, road blocks, supply trucks) are very overwhelming at the start of the game.

borobomb

Alamo Rookie
I got a few good opinions of it from friends as well and just got it last night to give me something to do while I'm living out of my own house for the moment (paid house-sitting is the best side job) and so far it has been good. I like the fact that you can own cars and there is more weapons than Far Cry 3 to play with and customize (never played 4 to compare).

I'm impressed with the work done to the soundtrack. The cult music genuinely sounds like great gospel hymns until you actually listen to the dismal lyrics.

Only criticism so far is that a lot of the repeatedly generated stuff (kidnapped citizens, road blocks, supply trucks) are very overwhelming at the start of the game.
It reminds me a lot of FC4 (and I loved that) I can never stay focused on just one thing to do. Trying to get to a spot.mission/outpost only to get side tracked by 10 other things going on. Next thing you know it's time for bed. I do like how the map is revealed by exploring or finding maps/magizines and not tower climbing.