Nightmare - thoughts so far

Mad Dog Kelso

Zed Hunter
Three things that are massively impacting playing the game for me, all demonstrated in one encounter:

I started it up, and about ten minutes later I get one of those "hey there is a trader with good stuff messages", so I set out to find them. They happened to be in the first of the three spots I check, and there are only a couple of zombies nearby. I killed them off, go inside (again, using one of my characters with scouting, so I can see them on the map). Everything is clear, in one of those warehouses without shelves (just a bunch of stuff around the edges and a pallet or two in the middle). No zombies anywhere in range.

Problem #1: I click on the trader, inventory box shows up, then immediately disappears... the struggle to get free icon is up, plague zombie is chewing on my neck, ten or so more are inside the building, and the top part of the minimap is yellow from zombie markers, like 30+ I would guess.

Problem #2: The traders, basically superheroes... three rucksacks in their pockets, weapons, facility mods, ammo, way more than my strongest character can carry, and skilled enough to wander around alone and survive... are yet not smart enough to use silencers? So, anyway, the trader starts shooting with their drum-magazine shotgun, unsilenced, bang bang bang bang bang, and even more zombies suddenly appear, from the other side of the minimap. There must be 50 or more in and around the building now.

Problem #3: After killing about eight zombies, I start swinging and hitting nothing at all again. Can't hit any of them, companion is being useless, trader doesn't seem to be hitting anything either. I kept trying until I was downed the first time, then exited the game. I don't mind dying when I mess up, but when you can't hit them at all... that is just ridiculous.

Log in again, trader gone, companion and myself almost dead, multiple injuries, plague timer at about two minutes. Luckily I have been carrying the cure around with me because this happens all the time. Drive home, use up medkits, quit game again.
To the extent that your own knowledge, experience, and tech-acumen can divine, is there any plausible reason why UL couldn't fix this bullshit . . . and by now maddening and barely tolerable . . . spawn mechanic? Because if you (and other tech-savvy people on this forum) can honestly and forthrightly agree that Undead Labs can fix this problem, then I feel we should compose a courteous, but frank and strongly worded, letter to UL with our signatures on it. I'm deadly serious. Enough is enough with this crap. We work hard to build our communities (I'm on the cusp of putting FIFTY real-time days into this fucking game; Sailor Moon has moved beyond SEVENTY); like you said: it's one thing if our survivors' perish due to our own negligence and/or downright stupidity. It's quite another to lose even ONE of them, simply because UL is too lazy (or too fucking pig-headed) to mount an otherwise easy fix (assuming it is an easy fix).

For Christ's sake, let's get this over with already, and fucking be DONE with it. Once and for all.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
Nope, no reason at all. It is something they did specifically in nightmare mode though. I still have a group on the standard mode, and nothing like that ever happens, so I assume it is either intentional or a screwup that their QA people entirely failed to notice. Personally, since that would be almost impossible to miss, I think it is intentional.

But yes, every time a zombie is created, it has a series of actions the game carries out... what type is it, which model it has for appearance... and where it is. Simply adding a check that to make sure that the zombies can't appear out of thin air within a certain radius of the character would be trivial. Or perhaps turning off the trigger that causes them to spawn in the first place when there hasn't been a player action to alert them. This wasn't the first time that simply talking to an npc caused a pack of zombies to appear.

Checking to see if a zombie can't be hit shouldn't be much harder... in YOSE, if a zombie wasn't substantiated, it would automatically check and turn it on when you pointed a gun at it. I don't remember a problem with melee ever there, but with guns a zombie over a certain distance wouldn't react to being shot, even though they were in range of the gun.

Check if the range to player is under 10 feet, automatically substantiate. A secondary check where if a character swings a melee weapon and gets no collision response, checking the state of the zombies within range would fix it if it is a bug. Every zombie has these sort of checks all the time... where is it currently, what pose is it using, where is it moving to, for every zombie, every frame. Adding one to make sure it is hittable wouldn't take up any significant processing time at all, particularly because they wouldn't actually have to check the current state. Just simply when checking it's position, set the state to hittable if that position is close to the player. Turning it on, even if already on, is faster than checking if it is on or not.

It is possible that it is a system issue, because at one time they acknowledged that the reason some characters at base would disappear was to allow more zombies to be present at once. Adding the massive increase to the zombie population may simply be causing the problem as the engine can't handle them properly. But, if that were the case, knowing they had the resource issue earlier, they should have found a better way to increase difficulty than simply "more zombies, more damage, less time" that they went with.

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
IME after all the plague hearts were destroyed (and I reloaded my save), I only encountered plague zeds in certain missions where they were essential (i.e. plague researchers, missing family member, etc.)
I was on a builder quest out to the water outpost just outside container fort. This was after I had spoken to 2 people about clearing the town of plague hearts. I ran into a plague horde that shouldn't of been there.

I didn't check if I was busy with other missions, so it was probably a mission spawn I missed then.

Erudain

Alamo Rookie
I had a serious WTF moment tonight....an enclave gave me a "kill a heart" quest, so I went and did so, had a charged drone strike so it was short work on the heart....the WTF was that I went back to report the quest and after I talked to the NPC my guy died instantly, like....dead and reanimated as a zombie sequence... I thought maybe they turned hostile and headshoted me before I could react but nope, enclave still appears as friendly in the map.

So....WTF?...I just lost an artic warrior on that guy since the zed guy was not there when I went back to loot it....it was probably killed by the enclave NPCs as soon as he turned

Righteous Ham

Zed Hunter
@Erudain this sound similar to a glitch I ran into a month or so post launch. The difference was that in my case the drone strike never happened, even though the game seemed to think it did (dialogue will indicate if the smoke you throw isn't viable) as I was walking away my character dropped dead and turned.

As far as I can tell, I think the game is mistakenly marking our avatars as being within the bast zone. Though the cause of this has eluded me and made me wary of using the drone strike since.