Netflix stuff

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
If noones seen it yet...
Black Summer.

Looks like it could be interesting, although I was initially kinda dismissive about it because the main actress was on a talk show making it clear that it wasn't a "zombie show". Plus, I'm still kinda bummed because when I first heard about this, I mistook it for a TV adaptation of Warren Ellis' "Blackgas", one of the most disturbing zombie/infected storylines I've ever read outside of the "Crossed" series, which I'm still hoping the rumors about Showtime greenlighting the comic for a series.

Burzum

Rescued Ally
Looks like it could be interesting, although I was initially kinda dismissive about it because the main actress was on a talk show making it clear that it wasn't a "zombie show". Plus, I'm still kinda bummed because when I first heard about this, I mistook it for a TV adaptation of Warren Ellis' "Blackgas", one of the most disturbing zombie/infected storylines I've ever read outside of the "Crossed" series, which I'm still hoping the rumors about Showtime greenlighting the comic for a series.
It really really IS a zombie show lol. Its pretty good in a 'not having to think too hard about it' kinda way. Its easy to distance yourself from characters and not get attatched.

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
It really really IS a zombie show lol. Its pretty good in a 'not having to think too hard about it' kinda way. Its easy to distance yourself from characters and not get attatched.
Yeah, I started watching it and it's not bad. I'm beginning to think she said it wasn't a zombie show because unlike Z Nation and the Walking Dead shows, the humans look to outnumber the zombies on-screen. Actually, I'm kinda attached to one character, Sun, but I'm not liking her chances on being the "Last Girl Standing" in this.

The concept of the show is kinda interesting. There aren't a lot of zombies shown at least so far as I've watched episodes, and I've almost finished the season. The characters in this series don't have the crack aim that allows them to hit headshots while running like characters in the Walking Dead shows...hell, I've only seen maybe two characters hit a headshot and one of them had to wait till the zombie stopped moving and then had to get a couple of yards away from them. These zombies are apparently nigh indestructible, at least when compared to the characters we follow in the show That explains why a single zombie is a serious threat one on one, and two can be a threat to an entire group.

It's actually a pretty decent series...I'd watch a second season.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
Yeah, I started watching it and it's not bad. I'm beginning to think she said it wasn't a zombie show because unlike Z Nation and the Walking Dead shows, the humans look to outnumber the zombies on-screen. Actually, I'm kinda attached to one character, Sun, but I'm not liking her chances on being the "Last Girl Standing" in this.

The concept of the show is kinda interesting. There aren't a lot of zombies shown at least so far as I've watched episodes, and I've almost finished the season. The characters in this series don't have the crack aim that allows them to hit headshots while running like characters in the Walking Dead shows...hell, I've only seen maybe two characters hit a headshot and one of them had to wait till the zombie stopped moving and then had to get a couple of yards away from them. These zombies are apparently nigh indestructible, at least when compared to the characters we follow in the show That explains why a single zombie is a serious threat one on one, and two can be a threat to an entire group.

It's actually a pretty decent series...I'd watch a second season.
It gets worse the further you get into it. I mean, really stupid shit happens that you can't help but notice.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
Has anyone watched The Silence on Netflix? Is it any good? Looks like bat/bird creatures attacking people who aren't quiet. It's been sitting on the auto-play banner (Netflix Roku/Browser) for days or maybe weeks but I just can't find the time to sit and watch a movie.

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
It gets worse the further you get into it. I mean, really stupid shit happens that you can't help but notice.
(on Black Summer on Netflix)

Yeah, this is really true. I was ready to come on here after the first 2 episodes and praise it to the sky, but the baggage accumulates. It's a terrible shame because they do some things very, very right.
  • Some really fun characters-crossing-paths work
  • Great representation of how dealing with a zed could be extremely scary, rather than the ho-hum it often is in games (SOD) and movies. Either model can be valid but this was refreshing
  • Sun was goddamn awesome. The character, although the celestial body put in a good performance as well
  • Really good at evoking a nightmarish feel. Had that vibe of running in molasses or hitting an enemy to no effect.
On the downside, yeah, poor attention to detail and questionable character behavior. They referred to bombing runs by... the Army Air Corps. 1941 and all that, I guess. People blazing away full auto into torsos when it's clear only headshots matter, apparently because they don't like carrying so much ammo. Chunks of weird continuity and motivation where it's hard to tell why or whether someone did something, but show keeps rolling.

I'd still recommend, provided you're the sort who can groove on atmosphere and not go rageous over errors. And I really wish zeds in SOD2 were about 1/2 as intense as they are here.

Gmutant

Alamo Rookie
(on Black Summer on Netflix)

Yeah, this is really true. I was ready to come on here after the first 2 episodes and praise it to the sky, but the baggage accumulates. It's a terrible shame because they do some things very, very right.
  • Some really fun characters-crossing-paths work
  • Great representation of how dealing with a zed could be extremely scary, rather than the ho-hum it often is in games (SOD) and movies. Either model can be valid but this was refreshing
  • Sun was goddamn awesome. The character, although the celestial body put in a good performance as well
  • Really good at evoking a nightmarish feel. Had that vibe of running in molasses or hitting an enemy to no effect.
On the downside, yeah, poor attention to detail and questionable character behavior. They referred to bombing runs by... the Army Air Corps. 1941 and all that, I guess. People blazing away full auto into torsos when it's clear only headshots matter, apparently because they don't like carrying so much ammo. Chunks of weird continuity and motivation where it's hard to tell why or whether someone did something, but show keeps rolling.

I'd still recommend, provided you're the sort who can groove on atmosphere and not go rageous over errors. And I really wish zeds in SOD2 were about 1/2 as intense as they are here.
Spoiler Warning!!!

The most glaring issue that I had, was the episode where they're holed up in the parking garage waiting for the Air Force to stop bombing downtown L.A.

They wake up and go outside, and there's no sign of any bombing having happened.

Other shit that bugged me:

1) The character named Lance. What a fucking dipshit. I couldn't watch any of his segments without cringing. He was just so stupid. He should have died so many times, I found myself wishing death upon him. I mean, how do you get your fire axe stuck on a rack when swinging it!?

2) The episode where Sun, Velez and the old lady in the mini van were perpetually driving in circles, while making it look like they were covering ground heading to the stadium.

3) The survivors working with a couple gang members (who tried to kill them) to steal guns from rival gang members.

4) The empty stadium. WTF? Was the evacuation site a lie? Did the survivors arrive too late? What happened?

Kizig

Alamo Rookie
Spoiler Warning!!!

The most glaring issue that I had, was the episode where they're holed up in the parking garage waiting for the Air Force to stop bombing downtown L.A.

They wake up and go outside, and there's no sign of any bombing having happened.

Other shit that bugged me:

1) The character named Lance. What a fucking dipshit. I couldn't watch any of his segments without cringing. He was just so stupid. He should have died so many times, I found myself wishing death upon him. I mean, how do you get your fire axe stuck on a rack when swinging it!?

2) The episode where Sun, Velez and the old lady in the mini van were perpetually driving in circles, while making it look like they were covering ground heading to the stadium.

3) The survivors working with a couple gang members (who tried to kill them) to steal guns from rival gang members.

4) The empty stadium. WTF? Was the evacuation site a lie? Did the survivors arrive too late? What happened?
More spoilers! And despite carping, I recommend the show if you can tolerate some idgy directorial choices. Has some really good moments and feel.

Um, I think you mean Army Air Corps? Ha, that sounded so weird when they said it, like flights of B-17s saved bombs from runs over Nazi Germany to drop them on zombies. And yeah, I can appreciate they don't much have the budget for big explosions, but when they were downtown? Bombs supposedly close enough to stun people and make ears ring, but not one window from a skyscraper damaged? They should have made the bombing always off in the distance.

Ha, I kind of liked Lance. For a doughy fella that boy could RUN! The axe thing worked for me, felt like how trying to attack could go wrong. Again, the nightmare vibe for me.

The driving-diner thing was weird. How much gas was truck burning hunting them? And not once in the diner did they say "what the hell were you doing, jerks?" Then people running off to kitchen to plot and nobody objects?

I got badly lost on the heist, couple characters I still don't know where they went or why. And yeah, cause some chaos, but that's a pretty dangerous way to do it.

I didn't like the two guys taking J down the hallway and letting R trail along behind. How'd he surrender so easily? Why didn't they try to control her?

Big gripe for me was that any time a bullet was anywhere near somebody, they died and turned instantly. Not taking time to die is typical of movies / tv but this got to be a bit much.

Yeah, show overall was good about not over-explaining, a standard weakness in genre art. Problem is, it's best to actually KNOW a good answer you don't share, becomes weak when you don't actually have one in your head.

Secretz

Alamo Rookie
Spoiler warnings for Black Summer!!!

I think I get what the writer had in mind with the empty stadium as I've seen the scenario before. I'm guessing that all the zombies they fought thru to get to the stadium were the survivors that had been evacuated to the stadium and the soldiers that took them there as I noticed the closer they got to the stadium, the more soldier zombies showed up. With how fast people turn in this story, it's not too hard to see one heart attack victim dying, or someone losing their shit and killing someone, and then turning and then attacking and spreading the infection quickly. This is even more easy to conceive considering how crap everyone's aim is and how bloody durable the zombies are.

The only issues with that, if that was what actually happened, is it's highly unlikely every damn zombie left the stadium and politely went outside, leaving the survivors that were still in there alone. That and it was way too damn neat to have that many people turn en masse. From all the biting, turning and shooting that logically should've happened in that situation, the stadium would've been a blood-splattered, limb ridden battlefield, not the neatly trimmed field that's ready for game time.

Although the ending wasn't very good, I give the show credit for one thing. The way things just went straight to hell in a handbasket with all those heavily armed/lightly trained people heading towards the stadium makes me think that's probably the way things would really go down if that scenario actually happened. How more people didn't get shot, die and turn when people are just firing with zero regards for friendly fire is beyond me.