Mod Mystyk's Mods

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I know there are some people who are reading this, and other people's pages, and thinking, "What's the big deal? Who gives a crap?" Well, I do, lol. I've been dealing with this stuff since I started modding in 2006 (TES 4 Oblivion). At first I didn't care much, but then I learnt how to make 3D models in 3DS Max. I had a guy who'd do my uv unwrapping, because that did my head in, but I made my own meshes from nothing. One such model was unique, but I was surprised no one had made one. Just a simple snowman. I did some swords after that, but never released them as I wasn't sure if I was allowed to as they were based off swords from cartoons.

Fast forward about 2 years and I see my snowman mesh in someone else's mod with no mention of where he got it from and I gave him what for on his mod page. Back in the day when Nexus wasn't so strictly moderated, though most modders had "permissions" and "usage terms."
From then on I started putting my own 'permissions' on my pages. Basically, you want to use it, ask me first. How hard is that?

JimBob

Missing Survivor
I'm new to the SoD franchise and have only begun modding it, and just recently came across the XBO reward things that apparently take at least a year of playing to properly unlock and wanted to use a mod to unlock them right away as, despite how much I'm thoroughly enjoying the original, I do plan on playing the second as soon as it's stable enough but also do want to experience all the first game has to offer first.

My question would be then: the unlocker mod mentioned is interfering with your SSSH mod's Lifeline module due to editing the same file, characters.win.bmd (said mod is here). I've looked for a different mod that accomplishes the same things or a patch for either yours or the other mod that makes them compatible but I haven't had any luck. Any advice? I'm not a novice at modding but I'm also certainly not a pro; I could maybe possible figure it out for myself after tinkering around with things for days, but I'd hoped there might be an easier way.

I find myself really missing Wrye Bash at times like these :(

Any assistance you'd be willing to provide, even if it's just a brief summary of what I need to do on my own to make things work, would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to even finish the main story (dragging my feet for as long as possible, I love exploring too much) and plan to play a fair amount of Breakdown before touching Lifeline, so I've got some time before finding the solution here becomes a requirement.

Thanks for your time.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I'd heard about that mod but never looked for it. For my own game I was going to unlock some of those things like the tow truck but never got around to it.

I'll message the author and see if I can get permission to do a proper patch. Hope he's still around.
In the meantime I'll check the mod out and, as I include my xml's (and hope he did, too) put together a tutorial to show you how to merge it yourself.

Edit: Hmm. No xml's in his, just an exe. I won't be running that as it might overwrite everything in my folder, plus why do it like that?
Going from the comments there might not be any xml's anyway, as someone requested them as they only wanted to use one thing from the mod.

Breakdown's scenes file I also edit so, there's another conflict.

A patch won't be possible without the xml's :(

Last edited:

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Yeah, that guy is spectacularly unhelpful. He put up a patch for my mod, which caused all sorts of game corruption complaints that I had to deal with. The particular moderator that I dealt with in that case it didn't understand how mods work in SOD, and pretty much didn't do anything.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Yeah, that guy is spectacularly unhelpful. He put up a patch for my mod, which caused all sorts of game corruption complaints that I had to deal with. The particular moderator that I dealt with in that case it didn't understand how mods work in SOD, and pretty much didn't do anything.
Making patches for other people's mods without their knowledge is usually frowned upon. There's one moderator over there who has no idea about most game mods. Hope you didn't get him as he's useless.
How long ago did you report it? Maybe try again and hope you get someone who is smarter 😊
I noticed in your permissions that you are pretty strict on usage/editing and re-uploading, understandably. Point that out in your report.
They're strict on permissions. If he didn't get it from you before making that patch it's grounds for removal.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
It's been a long time. It's for an older version of the mod, and I've had a sticky post about it causing issues since February 2016. I haven't seen anyone reporting a problem caused by it in a while. If it shows up again, I probably will.

JimBob

Missing Survivor
So essentially my installing that mod I linked was a mistake that I should rectify - that's good to know, though not exactly fun to think about. Like I said, I'm not new to the modding scene in general; I should have known there was something fishy about using an exe for something that could have been done just as easily with loose files or a NMM script (though at least a little bit to his credit, his installer did notice your conflicting files and halt the installation of his mod rather than just overwrite yours.)

I've looked at the contents of his exe and the files he edits for Lifeline. I've done some digging and found a BMD editor that I can halfway make sense of, though not nearly enough to succeed at merging the two, if that's even possible with that method. I've also had a look through the XBO unlocks his mod makes available and I'm not super impressed by what I've seen, I so think I'll leave his unlocker installed (after ripping the loose files out of the exe and creating my own install package) for storymode and breakdown where it doesn't conflict with your mod and use only yours only for Lifeline. I'd rather not have to worry about my base medic wandering off to suicidally take out an infestation alone than have a new kind of pickaxe.

Anyways, thanks for taking a look. The PC modding community needs more folks like you guys. Cheers.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Be careful with that bmd editor too. it was for the original version, and some of the yose coding can get corrupted with it. Back up your stuff before using it in case it causes issues.

JimBob

Missing Survivor
Thanks, didn't know that. Though I did already decide to leave well enough alone and not mess with it for the time being, now I know not to mess with it at all :)

I think I'll just play play with what I have now until I beat storymode, lifelife and play some breakdown and then try out your mod until the sequel is out and patched enough to play. Your mod's changelist is pretty intimidating for a new player - figured I should probably play through vanilla first to be able to properly understand everything it changes - but it definitely does look intriguing. Thanks again.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
QMJS's mod includes mine, to some extent, anyway, so if you're wanting something that changes lots of things I'd go with that rather than lots of smaller ones that likely conflict with each other. His conflicts with almost everything, anyway :)

JimBob

Missing Survivor
Yeah, that seems like the best bet. I like changing things piecemeal for the first playthrough when I find a feature I dislike and then going for the full overhauls like QMJS's after I've beaten it and have a good working knowledge of all the games' systems for most games I play. With the way modding appears to work for this game it seems like I've been pretty lucky that even the relatively few and seemingly unobtrusive mods I've installed have played nice together - I'll certainly be removing them all before touching QMJS's for that reason, and because, like you mentioned, most everything I already have is included in his mod anyway. :D

Very much looking forward to playing around with it now that I've looked up the change notes again and saw so many incredible things I didn't understand yet when I first looked... that he includes the crossbows that are all woefully out of date on the nexus, making general fighting increase cardio (what were they thinking not including that in the base game, making only sprinting increase it?) as well as the massive changes to facilities to make them more interesting, cooking and medicine leveling up, an extra watchtower, stack size increases, proper labor costs to make base management more robust, the ability to actually "thin the herd" (that one is massive) and a hundred other things - this man deserves a medal, and you're no slouch either. You guys are what make PC the best platform to game on. Thanks again to both of you for all your work. (y)

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
One thing I might do, just for here, though, is bundle up all my mods into one big AIO. Just as archives, not merging all the mods' xml's (even though I play like that). I won't be able to make too many more mods, anyway. They won't fit in my signature :)

Edit: I won't be uploading anymore SoD mods to Nexus. That's the first time my mod reports have been ignored. I must've got that clueless guy. (Or one of the brand new moderators. They seem to've had a bunch of new ones appointed). Yet, going from their Forum Warnings section people are being warned/banned left, right and centre for the exact reason I reported those two mods. So, any future mods, SoD-related, won't be posted there anymore. I'll host them on my website and only provide links from here.
It's definitely 'who you are' over there. Not a big name TES/FO modder? No one cares. :cautious:

Last edited:

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
New!

20180803135031_1.jpg

I was tired of looking at that dead plant at Savini's, so I "watered the plants." Turns out, those three files I edited cover a lot of plants around the place, such as those in the main street of Marshall (see image).
The only one it doesn't affect is the one outside the Doctor's/Physio near the Alamo - opposite the laundromat. I'm not going to bother with that one, as it's obviously in a different folder.
In the end folder (in the archive) I've included an optional lighter green. They were my first attempt. Once I figured that to get the right shade of green I needed to make the texture as dark as possible, almost black. @WillieSea told me that one, lol, when I was editing his backpack colours in my game.
Textures are the same size as original. Ideally I'd love everything to be 2-4K but, I have no idea how to do that. I just recolour.

@MattyDienhoff - Same image I sent you yesterday. You can't play totally vanilla. Try this :D

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Still modding YOSE Breakdown. I have a new idea which I'll try and implement. No details yet, not until it's ready, which could be a while. It's only at the idea stage at the moment. I know it's possible to do, as I've done something similar before, it will just be a big pain to do, is all. Time consuming.

I still want to bundle up everything I've done and put it here for others to use, but, will need to strip out other people's stuff first - mainly by WillieSea (backpacks), QMJS (facilities), YojimBeau (radio stuff), and Swiss (borrowed stuff from various mods of his). Some of what I've edited I don't even remember. I have an idea, poke around, try it out and rarely even make notes in the xml's. I saw QMJS and Swiss do that in theirs and thought that was a great idea, so only recently started doing that.
So, if I ever get around to uploading my heavily modded game it'll mostly be a "try it and see," type of thing, with the odd "this is what I changed" notes.

I mainly mod with the intention of never sharing it, unless I can easily separate it from my own stuff. Some things are standalone and don't conflict with anything else (editing the plants textures to make them green, removing corpses, a stool and sandbags).

I might even open up requests again, depending on if I find it interesting and whether or not I can do it.
Making custom characters? No problem.
Using only those customs in a new game? No problem.
Adding objects to the world like how WillieSea did with the burning barrels? Not a clue.
Making patches for other people's mods, so Skilled Survivors (the most requested) works fine with other mods? Possible to do, but not going to happen.
Writing a tutorial on how to do stuff that I've done before? Sure, why not. I've still got a tutorial thread here I need to finish :oops:

As I'm, technically, currently homeless I don't really have much time to do a whole lot of anything. I mean, I *do* have the three most important things with me (my car, my PC and my bed, lol) and I have a room to use, but I'm often driving a lot and really only have a few hours each day to do much of anything. So, modding is slow going.
Once we get a house and start to live like normal people then I'll get back into everything again :)

Shady Allie

Rescued Ally
I would try on a mystyk mod bundle and see how it fits.

Although I would hopefully be able to WinMerge WillieSea's homebase lighting code into it. When I spliced it into the QMJS it was a nice touch. Amelia's LoneWolf? I love it to death. Litteraly...feral goosebump scary death...but only for a week tops, then I have to come up for air and vanilla it out again.

do eet mystyk.

I so dearly wish you folks could mod sod2 better than simple hex in the save.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
If you know what you're doing it should be easy enough.
I did some extra editing to Lone Wolf, just put myself in there, and tried to reduce the ferals, but that didn't work. Too. Many. Ferals O_O
Other than that, awesome mod 😊

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
I've started writing out everything I've edited. What I remember. It's a lot.
Seeing as I'm not likely to get Win 10 or SoD2 anytime soon I may as well keep modding YOSE 😊