Guide My Guide to State of Decay's 2 Apocalypse.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally
Congratulations! If you're reading this, you looked past the bugs of State of Decay 2 and want to get back to getting that familiar sense of dread. I am delighted you're here because that means you're alive and you're ready to do one of the two:

1. Shitpost.
2. Agree and add more tips.

Now on with the guide...

#1. Zeds are blind, but not deaf.

That's it. Sneak, hurt those knees crouch walking, but don't draw attention to yourself. Quietly go forth and do your thing. It's amazing what you'll hear. You'll hear life still exists. Birds are singing, the wind is rustling leaves and of course... zeds. Zeds are loud. They moan. They groan. And for whatever reason, they focus on anomalies like a car starting, a generator running and sputtering, dishes being clean, etc. Keep the noise to a minimum. Get that stealth skill up so you too can navigate the world incognito.

#2. Plan your rescue call.

I call it a rescue call because apparently you are now the 911 of the apocalypse. So, look at the map... find your nearest lookout point and scout your path. Then carefully make your way to every house, shed and clear them of zeds. Why? It's common sense. You're going to head in this direction anyway and you need resources. On your way back, you can clearly loot and make your way home.

#3. Drive and make noise.

Yes, I know. Complete opposite of what I am telling you to do on foot, but in the vehicle... get down like its the 80s. Blast that horn and draw them out. Toss firecrackers and get all those unknowns to become known quantities. Then find a path on the road that you can accelerate forwards and backwards without hitting anything. This is what I call the bumper-to-bumper guarantee on zed killing. Note: Juggernauts aren't impressed.

#4. Juggernauts are bullet sponges. Go for the eyes.

Dealing with Juggernauts is as simple as 12-36 head shots (depending on the caliber) and getting close and personal when it's down. That's it. Any deviation of this and you're torn in half. (yo, it's a head shot with .50 and it hasn't broken yet? Mods, please.)

#5. Base building is fluid.

Build what you need and then wreck it when another facility is more usable. If it's not contributing, it's not worth maintaining. For me, I am constantly rotating two spots between three needs, but that's fine. Sometimes I need the workshop to repair a vehicle. Sometimes I need the infirmary to heal a hapless survivor. Sometimes I need the rain collector because people are smoking weed on watch. You get the idea. Look at your base as a fluid asset.

#6. Cars are rare.

Get a mechanic and get that person leveled. Unless you want to experience Fallout 3 and 4... mechanics are saintly. After you've successfully located a vehicle, you're going to wish you had brought a can of gas and a single repair kit. So open up that backpack and place one of each in there because #6. I've called in a co-op friend just to go hiking up a hill to get a truck and then we found another. Two survivors, two drivers and two vehicles in my possession.

#7. Traders are worth the gas and time.

Find that traveling salesman guy even if he's on the opposite end of the map. He sells great gear. Last time I checked, he had .50 Sniper (already suppressed) rifle and a grenade launcher. Sometimes he has .22 weapons. All I know is that this guy is your hookup. If you did enough of #2, you'll have enough to trade for these conveniences. (read Erudain's comment on this below)

#8. Enclaves are not charitable causes. Recruit the strongest.

Unless they have someone you want in your enclave, tell them to grow a pair. Some missions are too ridiculous to mention, but yeah... the apocalypse is merciless and sometimes you have to let nature take its course if you wish to maintain any level of sanity. If you see a gardner, mechanic, carpenter or anyone who has a base-specific skill... get them on your good side. You want people with skills because your fighting force is your community. Everyone can shoot, bash or run, but not everyone is a good cook or an electrician.

#9. Priority #1 is your base. Nuture it, keep it quiet and exile the rest.

Do as much as good for the community and don't worry if an enclave loses its patience with you. They'll move on or die. Either way, they're not helping you. You need to keep everything in order at your home for morale's sake. At night time, this is when I select every survivor to do something of their profession. If it's repairing a car, upgrading a vehicle (sweet, sweet fortune.) making silencers, crafting ammo, etc. Do it because you have to go back to #2 when morning arrives. Your community will skill up to match you.

#10. If you're a master scrounger like myself, you will fill your limit in a surprising amount of time.

Pay the hell attention to that storage. Just do enough to stay afloat and keep some in reserves. Waste means wasted effort. Don't scavenge when you're already full. It can be easy to do when you do every mission is based around #2.

#11. Screamers.

Shoot them in the head. Draw them out if they're in an enclosed area. Do not go charging in like Rambo because your ear drums will fail you and every zed in the neighborhood just heard that dinner bell ringing "that a dumbass meat buffet" is being served hot and fresh. Seriously, use #6 to ease the pain or get some firecrackers popping.

#12. Bloaters.

Shoot and move on. Do not ram them either. You'll breathe their insides in through the car vents. It's better to drive by or get out and shoot it. Going hand to hand is counterproductive.

#13 Ferals.

If you're in a vehicle, you're pretty safe if you have any skill at driving. If you're not, start dodging and rolling and looking around if you triggered his howl. If he howls or grunts quickly with the sound of feet and hands hitting the ground... you're already screwed. Remember, sneaking disables their surprise. If you're surprised... well, another community member will carry on your duties.

14. Make those calves burn. Climb higher and higher.

Zeds are pretty ambulatory, but they seem adverse to climbing. Get up, scout and identify all those buildings and the rare vehicle that's still usable. If you see a ladder, use it. There is always a container to find. Whether it's atop a gas station, an apartment or storage unit... climb and survey. It's amazing what useful stuff you'll find in those places. For me, it's worth climbing up, catching my breath and looking for a clear path to an objective.

15. Blood Plague Hearts.

If you're prepped like a boss, drop two whistling box mines next to these things. That's it. Run in. Set them off. Run out. If you're already done your homework, you're going to find some high ground to enjoy the fireworks. Everything will die. Everything. Loot and get back to doing #2. If you're not, molotovs and gas can bombs will have to do. Otherwise, make sure you have a cure for the plague handy because anything else will get you sick. Note: you might get a little sick walking near the heart, but it's minimal. If you have an infirmary, it can be healed away. Edit: Before you go charging in with those mines, make sure there aren't any specials to ruin your day. Scout ahead. I know...

16. Stay in your comfort zone.

You will be forced to move when resources are all used up or feeling cramped from your growing community. For me, it's the lack of privacy and frickin' storage space that motivates me to find a bigger home. When your current home is no longer viable, go co-op and ask for KNOWN friends to help move some vehicles to the new place. Once you're there, learn your terrain and get comfortable for a day or so. Learn the hills, shortcuts and most importantly, understand where your new home fits in the area. I pride myself knowing every road, shortcut and faraway hidey hole in Trumball County and Danforth. Here... holy cow... I'm always turned around.

17. Outposts vary in value. Choose for future needs.

Since I loot like it's the apocalypse and put my OCD into overdrive, the most important thing I need are beds. I maximize space with workshops and conveniences. The beds allow my community to grow and allow luxuries to self-sustain the morale. My goal is to get 10 (seriously, UL... screw the consoles, allow modding for PC Master Race. In my apocalypse, everyone gets a chance. Every human being is worth more than all the gold in the world at this point. Some are awful, some are great, but you can pick and choose who you exile, execute or promote) and then follow the story's progress.

18. Influence is the currency of the Apocalypse. (Thank you Just Too! You get the award for efficient scavenger in my Apocalypse!)

Scavenging. The more party members, the more influence (goods like ammo, luxuries, loud guns, etc.) you can stow away in each of your backpacks. Bring a member along with 8-slot rucksacks and just empty pockets. One ranged and one melee weapon is all you should bring unless you come across a site that is already infested. Switch out with your follower once your bag and pockets are full. Instead of 8-11 possible items, you've got 16-23 items heading back to the supply locker (which should already be straining at capacity.) Also, the follower could potential raise their own morale by assisting you per our fellow survivor, Just Too. It would raise my morale coming back with some snacks that everyone can dive into or just toilet paper. Either way, it's a win-win.

Last edited:
G

Guest258

what i usually do for the Plague Hearts - When there is an ambient mission that some survivors wants me to clear some plague hearts:
1. i'd take that mission,
2. Gear up (molotovs (8-9 will do) or C4 (1 will do) or "M99X1 Timberwolf " (3 - 4 shots))
3. Bring along a kitted out follower
4. pick up the mission giver (usually 2 will come along) which makes a total of 4 (including u and your follower, so bring a ride)
5. clear other plague hearts except the mission objective (clear all or a few, entirely up to you)
6. Voila!

i usually do this if i have moved and settled quite nicely in the second base (influence points 1000 - 1500 base points requirement). When i moved to the second base, i only have 1 or 2 plague hearts left. Hence, i can focus more on community building and slowly trick out the 3rd base and improving the community member skills.

Personal tip - Get the "M99X1 Timberwolf" ASAP with the 50cal ammo press (wondering vendor sells them). They make your life super easy. If you dont go out Plague Heart hunting, equip it to any of your community members that's on guard duty, they'll shoot zeeks to high heavens with ease. I got two, one i bought and the other i found in secret weapon stash from the https://www.youtube.com/user/PimplyPete vids. His vid's indispensable help to locate them caches.

Peace. Remember, when the zeeks cant run, it's much more fun.

Cyan Griffonclaw

Rescued Ally
what i usually do for the Plague Hearts - When there is an ambient mission that some survivors wants me to clear some plague hearts:
1. i'd take that mission,
2. Gear up (molotovs (8-9 will do) or C4 (1 will do) or "M99X1 Timberwolf " (3 - 4 shots))
3. Bring along a kitted out follower
4. pick up the mission giver (usually 2 will come along) which makes a total of 4 (including u and your follower, so bring a ride)
5. clear other plague hearts except the mission objective (clear all or a few, entirely up to you)
6. Voila!

i usually do this if i have moved and settled quite nicely in the second base (influence points 1000 - 1500 base points requirement). When i moved to the second base, i only have 1 or 2 plague hearts left. Hence, i can focus more on community building and slowly trick out the 3rd base and improving the community member skills.

Personal tip - Get the "M99X1 Timberwolf" ASAP with the 50cal ammo press (wondering vendor sells them). They make your life super easy. If you dont go out Plague Heart hunting, equip it to any of your community members that's on guard duty, they'll shoot zeeks to high heavens with ease. I got two, one i bought and the other i found in secret weapon stash from the https://www.youtube.com/user/PimplyPete vids. His vid's indispensable help to locate them caches.

Peace. Remember, when the zeeks cant run, it's much more fun.
Excellent post. This is going directly under Plague Hearts.