MUD newbs help

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
Hi all. I joined the Alpha test on the weekend, but I must say, it's not like riding a bicylcle, one does forget.

I started in the Community Center but have yet to work out how to move around in game. It has been 20 yrs since the last MUD, although Rogue still features often.

Can someone detail the basics of the MUD commands that some of us have forgotten.

Look works, look at NPC or look at door just returns Huh?

Any shortcuts to assist me in getting out of the starter area.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
I use Mushclient and then the keypad on the keyboard for moving. Entire compass being 1-9 keys.

North - 8
East - 6
West - 4
South - 2
Etc

You may also type Help while in-game for a full list of commands and then Help <Topic> for additional information.

Kill target
Loot target
Get target
Equip target
Score to see level, stats, equipment, currency
Quest list
Shop list
Shop buy #
Shop sell #

I'll add back in some proper tutorial quests as well, to get profession gear instead of giving it on creation.

Cejao

Alamo Rookie
For the people who have never heard of MUD, until now. A start up guide with helpful information that can get me playing would be great. "Pretend" you are trying to explain it to that guy you know who isnt as tech savvy as you. šŸ¤£

Terrafutan

Alamo Rookie
Using Mudlet, and the navigation is ok. Compass points work well for movement along with Up/Down

Interacting with NPCs and items is where I'm falling short. I have got the full commands list, it's now just the implementation of...

So for example, I have to go talk to the Doc in the Hawk room, but I haven't worked out how to open the door to the room.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
So for example, I have to go talk to the Doc in the Hawk room, but I haven't worked out how to open the door to the room.
You may faceroll when you hear how semi-obvious this is...but open <direction> is how you open doors. (y)

For the people who have never heard of MUD, until now. A start up guide with helpful information that can get me playing would be great. "Pretend" you are trying to explain it to that guy you know who isnt as tech savvy as you. šŸ¤£
I'll get a write-up or starter guide posted up before the next weekend, alongside the tutorial.

SwissArmyKnife

Alamo Radioman
Staff member
How do I talk to NPCs ? say Katya
NPCs currently only have the single word vomit that they say upon entrance. I am working today on getting them to be interactable so you can say/do things like:
  • say can you repeat yourself?
  • ask where is the Hawkes room?
  • ask what are the current rumors?
  • say Where do I find traces of other survivors?
There is an example built=in dialogue system that connects to an external AI dialogue/bot system that can be customized.