Question More Heroes

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Yes. If you want to have them as unlocks as well. Though I've done that with a few custom heroes and, even though they *do* unlock when the requirements are met, they also appear in enclaves before being officially unlocked. @QMJS explained in another thread why that could be happening. I forget what it is, now :(

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
The only thing that actually is different about a hero compared to another character is whether or not they are selectable at the start of a new game. They have to have an unlock, or they will not become available to select, and if they are otherwise spawned and don't have the unlock, their appearance/voice can change randomly. But, the abilities and skills can be added to any character. "Hero" by itself doesn't do much.

Unfortunately, the interface doesn't update the number of rows of heroes if you add too many, so to select them you have to go to the bottom right portrait and then move left/right to find them... you'll see the name and description but not the portrait.

There is one other issue if you add too many characters... once they get past a certain point, they won't spawn at all, whether normal or heroes, without some extra tinkering.

Look at https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/someone-help.46421/#post-614567 and https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threa...few-extra-characters.44107/page-5#post-548571 for a workaround and explanation of that.

I think that those are the only issues you might run across, and some won't show up unless you add a lot of them.

QMJS

Alamo Rookie
Yep, exactly as YojimBeau said. When first extracted they can be a little hard to find. All the Breakdown stuff is in a folder called sandbox, and the lifeline stuff is in one called beltway. When you modify them though, you leave those levels out, so
\Game\sandbox\game\libs\class3.1\rts\characters.xml
gets put into the game in
\game\libs\class3.1\rts\characters.xml

Last edited:

Vahx

Alamo Rookie
Yea, putting the files back was the tricky part.
Thr only guide i found online to get me started was about the base game only.

Prepare for a lot of noob questions over the next weekend.