Question Main XML files purpose?

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Say i want to change the spawn rates of zombies in the orig campaign game, what should i edit/do?
In Brimstone mod there's sandbox.xml for that but it's for breakdown levels.
Also is it possible to drastically change the main characters (marcus, ed), more than just their looks as in voice too?
You shouldn't change the story characters much, or you risk breaking the story missions. For the voices, many of the story lines are only present for that particular voice.

The zombie percentages in story mode are set in rtsevents under fsEvent.UpdateZombiePercentages.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Enclaves and Rtsevents, search for "InputId="Count.Enclaves"", both need to be set up with the same numbers.
Would having too many enclaves on the map cause any issues?

I've got an issue with my game at the moment and that is one of the last things I edited, so am trying to figure out what's gone wrong and where :unsure:

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Would having too many enclaves on the map cause any issues?

I've got an issue with my game at the moment and that is one of the last things I edited, so am trying to figure out what's gone wrong and where :unsure:
It could potentially cause problems, but only if there are a whole lot of people on the map.

Generally, with memory limits, it should have 54 maximum, in the home enclave and all others. If I remember correctly, the Xbox started having some issues with lower numbers, somewhere around 30.

These are the settings I use in the faEvent.SpawnEnclave for Breakdown:

<Inputs>
<Check InputAmount="&lt;4" InputFlags="" InputId="Count.Enclaves" />
<Check InputAmount="&lt;53" InputFlags="" InputId="Count.WorldPopulation" />
<Compare CompareOp="GreaterThanEqual" InputId1="Sandbox.TotalNPCsSpawned" InputId2="Sandbox.Survivors.Rare" />
<Compare CompareOp="LessThan" InputId1="Sandbox.TotalNPCsSpawned" InputId2="Sandbox.Survivors.Cap" />
</Inputs>

That is with 4 enclaves besides the home allowed at once, and uses the limit numbers from the sandbox level.

It also depends on how many survivors are defined. Each can only show up once on a map, even if they die and disappear from death or enclave disbanding.

If that doesn't help, let me know and we'll start looking at other possibilities.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
The issue I have is that I can't load anyone, except my active character, onto the RV. I only get the "Switch To" option. To begin with the option was there, as well as in dialogue, but the person never ran off. When I opened my journal again to re-send them, the option immediately disappeared as if I'd already selected 5 people. If that makes sense.

I've mostly been editing rtsevents for custom starter NPC's, I used to have 7, had issues, so dropped it to 6 and things were fine. Until I had to load the RV. So, now I've got it set back to the original amount of people - 5? I think. I also dropped the number of enclaves from 6 back to original.
If it's not that file causing my RV issue then it must be the enclaves or facilities files. I haven't edited any others for a long time.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
You are right, most of the RV stuff is in facilities, enclaves, and rtsevents.

The first thing that jumps to mind is that when it is checking to see if people can be added, it looks for Trait.Status.Family, so maybe the start group needs the
<Actor_AddToFamily ActorIndex="3" />
for one of the added characters.

If they don't have that, it won't let you put them on unless it is the active character.

I do remember having a problem with the counter for who is on the RV getting messed up sometimes (especially if you add someone and then take them off). If you leave the game during the selection, it should reset it to nobody being on the RV when you come back in.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
Ahhhh, that line I have commented out as I didn't want any friends when starting at higher levels. I asumed that one meant there's always one who is a friend even if the trust numbers for the others are at 0.

I'll change that back, then, and have Actor Index 3 as the player/start character instead of as the last one.

Thanks šŸ˜Š

All fixed up. It's working properly, now. Thanks again, @QMJS (y)

Last edited: