Question Main XML files purpose?

CerberusHumanityFirst

Missing Survivor
hello i was hoping someone can tell me what the main xml files do like i assume enclave stuff is in enclaves.xml and facilities in facilities xml but what are the main functions of the main files people mod? would i find everything related to homes and random houses and such in the enclaves? would i find everything i need for facilities in the facilities xml? one thing i am curious about is what file has where stuff spawns like coordinates for facilities and buildings

QMJS

Zed Hunter
In general when unpacking, Breakdown files are in the sandbox directory, and Lifeline files are in the beltway directory.
When modified and deployed, the main game is Class3, breakdown is class3.1, and lifeline is class3.2:
\Game\libs\class3\
\Game\libs\class3.1\
\Game\libs\class3.2\

Items on the map are in mission_mission0.xml. There are only two of these. Breakdown and the main game use \Game\levels\Class3\mission_mission0.xml, and lifeline uses \Game\levels\c3_beltway\mission_mission0.xml
For the stuff below, I am just listing the Class3 version. Each game mode has its own files in the directories noted above. There are a number of other files, but these are most commonly modified.

Items, Weapons, ammunition, and vehicles have some of the characteristics defined in:
\Game\libs\class3\contentmanager\vehicles.xml
\Game\libs\class3\items\items.xml
All of these have additional XML configuration files under \Game\scripts for each individual thing.

\Game\libs\class3\actorconstants.xml Damage and stamina values
\Game\libs\class3\globalconstants.xml Variable definitions
\Game\libs\class3\contentmanager\activities.xml Event rewards (killing horde, recovering ally backpack, etc.)
\Game\libs\class3\contentmanager\missions.xml Missions
\Game\libs\class3\contentmanager\radiooptions.xml Radio options
\Game\libs\class3\contentmanager\scenes.xml Spoken dialogue
\Game\libs\class3\rts\characters.xml Character definitions and traits
\Game\libs\class3\rts\enclaves.xml Enclaves and mission assignments
\Game\libs\class3\rts\expertise.xml Effects of skill levels, hero unlocks
\Game\libs\class3\rts\facilities.xml Facilities and facility actions
\Game\libs\class3\rts\fatecards.xml Random events
\Game\libs\class3\rts\homesitelimits.xml Base storage, population requirements, outpost numbers
\Game\libs\class3\rts\rtsdata.xml Variable assignments
\Game\libs\class3\rts\rtsevents.xml Main game file- almost everything defined in the others has a connection here
\Game\libs\class3\rts\search.xml Resources on map, items found when searching

Found only in Breakdown, this file contains the characteristics for each level:
\Game\libs\class3.1\rts\sandbox.xml

CerberusHumanityFirst

Missing Survivor
what file should i look for that has buildings from the map like houses/random buildings and the file that will list the location and positioning of facilities and buildings in the game?

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Those are the mission_mission0.xml files. The home bases and items in the facilities built are in another file that is also called facilities, not the one in \libs, but in \prefabs.

They are quite complicated, as everything from sound, lighting, signposts, and so on are all stuck in there. The coordinate system is also not very intuitive, so it takes a while to get anything positioned properly.

Take a look at https://www.draakdorei.com/forums/threads/insert-a-ladder-to-climb-to-the-ceiling.871/
and https://www.draakdorei.com/forums/threads/need-help-with-facilities-solved.938/

for some other related comments.

CerberusHumanityFirst

Missing Survivor
i have 1 last question if i may ask, is it at all possible to turn a random place like the courthouse into a homebase? seeing that the ai uses it as a enclave made me wonder if it can be turned into a player home base

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Not really. It is technically possible but requires so much work and specialized tools that it is ridiculous.

There are a whole list of conditions that have to be met for a location to be enabled as a base, some of which are in the mission_mission0.xml files, but others are directly on the map itself. Even after that, the journal interface would have to be decompiled and the new site added to all of the scripts in there, plus adding the facility slots and the base map.

It would be a much easier project (although extremely complicated in itself) to take an existing homesite, remove the structures, and place new ones.

CerberusHumanityFirst

Missing Survivor
Hmm replacing the structures for a existing homebase huh.. makes me wonder is it possibly to add new buildings to the map? Like i looked at mission0 xml and was curious if adding more buildings to the map would work not like new ones the game didnt intend but like copies of existing buildings and assigning loot to them and such

QMJS

Zed Hunter
The markup tags for loot are on the map itself, identifying the site type (Abandoned, AutoDealership, etc.) Loot containers that are in such a defined site are randomly selected, and the loot they contain depends on the type of object. So you would still need to edit the map directly.

Sordos

Missing Survivor
\Game\libs\class3\rts\expertise.xml Effects of skill levels, hero unlocks
I'm probably answering my own question but say i remove this file from a mod which changes the way some skills work (like rage being more useful in Brimstone) will that effect also be removed or just the common modded ability to be able to have multiple skills, weapon specs etc?
Not really a fan of those since the char screen starts to fuck up and being able to spec em' all kinda defeats the point of building certain characters a certain way ie they'r arr rook the same (skillwise atleast).

(edit) since that seems to be the case another question, what do i edit in the files to disable multiple specializations?

Last edited:

QMJS

Zed Hunter
It would be easiest to find the <Specializations> area, and just replace that whole thing with the data from an original extracted version.

Otherwise, go through each one and look at the <Restrictions> block. It has the information about when the choice is hidden, due to low level, other specialties already chosen, and anything else relevant.

Sordos

Missing Survivor
I got it now, though do i need to edit the .bmd file too? Simply copy pasting the orig data didnt do anything it seems.

Last edited:

QMJS

Zed Hunter
In most cases the game doesn't read the xml at all, although there are a couple of exceptions. In any case where there is a bmd, that is the only file it reads, ignoring any xml.

Sordos

Missing Survivor
In most cases the game doesn't read the xml at all, although there are a couple of exceptions. In any case where there is a bmd, that is the only file it reads, ignoring any xml.
Damn, guess i'l just delete both the files and deal with it. Not like there's that much in them anyway if im reading it correctly, just losing a better rage skill and easier ways to level up wits.

Sordos

Missing Survivor
Cheers, now i finally got it! And while enlightened for now i managed to deal with another thing rustling my autism that is the "hero" trait on heroes in breakdown!

(edit) I got around to edit the hero traits and gotta ask if there's a list with the trait codes as in "Trait.Personality.Nurturer_Motherly" for "Team Mom" etc or do i just ne... have to do a lot of guesswork?

Last edited:

CerberusHumanityFirst

Missing Survivor
quick question for increasing the amount of enclaves that spawn in the map do i just edit the sandbox xml or does it also require the enclaves file?

Sordos

Missing Survivor
Say i want to change the spawn rates of zombies in the orig campaign game, what should i edit/do?
In Brimstone mod there's sandbox.xml for that but it's for breakdown levels.
Also is it possible to drastically change the main characters (marcus, ed), more than just their looks as in voice too?