Question How to write a character in BD // cleaning up old mods

Reavs

Missing Survivor
Hello there, I am so glad to finally remember the website to which the undead forums had moved to first of all !

I recently rediscovered my interest for playing the game in my steam library - and seeing such old save files I decided to start fresh and go from level 1. However... shaking the rust off has proven a bit difficult as I had essentially modded my game to include an amazing character though admittedly OP (mostly because I got tired of RNG giving me horrible community traits) and wanted to switch around some items they started with. Anybody have any idea on where to locate the proper files to alter a custom character?

I also wanted to clean up some mods particularly with the vehicles. I wanted to reintroduce the SUV that YOSE has but not the original. I thought I remembered seeing it mentioned that it was in fact in the files of the original game since you do see the burned out vehicles that always seem to be placed in the middle of any insection including the husk of an SUV.

YojimBeau

Alamo Leader
Staff member
Firstly, welcome to the Alamo! Glad you made it to our gates, safe and sound.

Now then, unpak characters.pak. Edit characters.xml to your liking and then convert to win.bmd. Place your file at /game/libs/class3.1/rts

Reavs

Missing Survivor
I noticed something odd about my custom character when attempting to modify it lol. It must not be pulling the information from some other source NOT the local file from steam. I'm going through the path steam/steamapps/common/stateofdecay/game/libs/class3.1/rts and all I see is the old unaltered form of my character. Seems strange.

Only reason I'm able to tell is because I start off with a large backpack and the xml shows with a small so it can't be the correct one.

Also lastly has anybody else had trouble adding specific types of ammo to their characters? Or is there a limit. For some reason I can not add any starting ammo no matter how I copy/paste any generic type.

QMJS

Zed Hunter
I noticed something odd about my custom character when attempting to modify it lol. It must not be pulling the information from some other source NOT the local file from steam. I'm going through the path steam/steamapps/common/stateofdecay/game/libs/class3.1/rts and all I see is the old unaltered form of my character. Seems strange.

Only reason I'm able to tell is because I start off with a large backpack and the xml shows with a small so it can't be the correct one.

Also lastly has anybody else had trouble adding specific types of ammo to their characters? Or is there a limit. For some reason I can not add any starting ammo no matter how I copy/paste any generic type.
Existing characters won't change, so if you had already spawned him, you'll need to start a new game after any changes.

If the starting character doesn't have Trait.Sandbox.StartingBackpack, the game will give them a backpack, overwriting the one listed on the inventory.

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member
If the starting character doesn't have Trait.Sandbox.StartingBackpack, the game will give them a backpack, overwriting the one listed on the inventory.
Is there any way to prevent that? I often go back to level 1 and am most annoyed that my start person is given a free backpack, when I don't want anything. Everything else is almost how I want it with other NPC's - inventory of 4 branches so the game doesn't gift me painkillers and snacks. But, because I get "gifted" a backpack on my chosen character I then have 4 branches, 1 snack and 1 painkiller. Infuriating.
If I start on any level other than 1 everything's fine. No freebies.

It took forever, and some help from Swiss, back on the old forum, to change up Marcus' starting weapons in Storymode, as I was doing a custom character for someone and his pesky branch kept popping up into his inventory. I can't remember where we found to change that. I'm guessing for a Level 1 BD start it'd be in the same place. Deep within a file that you (well, me, probably not you, lol) wouldn't think to look :)

QMJS

Zed Hunter
Is there any way to prevent that? I often go back to level 1 and am most annoyed that my start person is given a free backpack, when I don't want anything. Everything else is almost how I want it with other NPC's - inventory of 4 branches so the game doesn't gift me painkillers and snacks. But, because I get "gifted" a backpack on my chosen character I then have 4 branches, 1 snack and 1 painkiller. Infuriating.
If I start on any level other than 1 everything's fine. No freebies.

It took forever, and some help from Swiss, back on the old forum, to change up Marcus' starting weapons in Storymode, as I was doing a custom character for someone and his pesky branch kept popping up into his inventory. I can't remember where we found to change that. I'm guessing for a Level 1 BD start it'd be in the same place. Deep within a file that you (well, me, probably not you, lol) wouldn't think to look :)
It's in the Breakdown enclaves.xml, under "<Action ActionFlags="" ActionId="GiveBackpack"

The branch comes from Story mode rtsevents.xml, under <Action ActionFlags="" ActionId="InitTutorial" from the line
<Com_Give ActorIndex="5" AmmoPercentage="100" Count="1" GiveFlags="Replace" Name="Branch" />

There are some other GiveFlags="Replace" that mess with the player weapons, but they only show up if in the demo mode.

Reavs

Missing Survivor
Hello there all ^.^:: another question haha my bad...

So I downloaded Sod tool pak extractor and unpacked the game files. Opened up the character xml file and found my custom character 143 in the list. Noticed two interesting things that stood out in my mind. One was that any time my custom character pops up it shows with a large black backpack and a short wakizashi because eh why not and some ammo (which never seems to pop in my inventory)

However in the xml file it clearly shows the ammo line of text and NO backpack line of text.

Soo I thought that was odd.. the one that always shows up for me isn't in the lines and the thing I thing I want (the ammo) is in the lines and never shows up.

I decided to just cut and copy/paste a line from another hero character and match their inventory start up and saved it. Booted up a fresh game and nothing changed on my character. Tried several combinations of items but I always seem to get the same set up now no matter what I put in.

Is it possible that the game (breakdown) is not pulling the xml from 3.1 rts?

QMJS

Zed Hunter
It does not read the xml file at all. It is a source file not directly used by the game.

The xml file needs to be converted to BMD and then the BMD is placed in the right location, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\Game\libs\class3.1\rts

Mystyk

Skilled Survivor
Staff member

Wait, are you playing and modifying the original game or YOSE? That path I bolded in the quote is for the original game. So, if you're modifying YOSE files there won't be any changes to any edits you make, if that's the filepath you're putting the files in :)
If you're modding YOSE the filepath is slightly different: steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\Game\libs\class3.1\rts

I-Got-No-Skillz

Missing Survivor
It's in the Breakdown enclaves.xml, under "<Action ActionFlags="" ActionId="GiveBackpack"

The branch comes from Story mode rtsevents.xml, under <Action ActionFlags="" ActionId="InitTutorial" from the line
<Com_Give ActorIndex="5" AmmoPercentage="100" Count="1" GiveFlags="Replace" Name="Branch" />

There are some other GiveFlags="Replace" that mess with the player weapons, but they only show up if in the demo mode.
Woot thank you for this !!! trying it now

Edit: Worked like a charm!!!!

Last edited: